Aliboy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 27, 2017
NZ
Name
David
Boat
44ft Sportfisher
2 days ago. Husband and wife only i believe until they got help to try and load it onboard. 130lb line. Place is Waihau Bay New Zealand. Pretty much exclusively a trailer boat fishery as it is a long way from most ports. Has a reputation for big fish. Grander Black taken there a few years back from an 18ft boat. Fish are within just a few miles of the ramp. Caught my first YFT there from a 14ft dinghy. Still take my big boat down there occassionally but it is a 2 day steam/troll each way. Also get a late winter Bluefin run down there.

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
My kind of girl!

TOTAL BAD ASS!!!

Patudo

Jun 4, 2004
Lon
Name
dscf
Boat
None
That would be an awesome catch even from a professionally crewed sportfisherman - but from a trailer boat run by a middle aged husband and wife, and IGFA compliant to boot (can't imagine how difficult this must have been, but NZers are very keen on tournaments where IGFA rules are fished), sensational. CONGRATULATIONS.

Gentlemen this is also why you should never mess around with a Kiwi Girl!

PS. Aliboy, is there much blue marlin fishing done in the area east of Waihau ie. from approx. Lottin Point to East Cape?

Aliboy

Dec 27, 2017
NZ
Name
David
Boat
44ft Sportfisher
That area you mention is just generally referred to as Waihau Bay since that is where most launch. There was a very rundown ramp at Hicks Bay which would put you closer to East Cape if the ramp is still usable. All that area is part of a days trolling from Waihau bay if you want.

I have fished from well West of Waihau right out past East Cape to the Ranfurly Banks. Have caught Striped Marlin right out to the Ranfurly, but Blues mostly seen back closer to Waihau. Not a huge number of days though, but i've never heard of a Blue caught well to the East either.