Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
Yeah, believery me this has been big news in a place called Weed California and most rural northern California towns for some time. Mixed emotions from the hunters, environmentalists and local folk. Interested to see how this pans out.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Sounds like it's going to be an uphill legal battle to manage them due to total state and federal protection prior to a management plan.

This should take decades and millions of $ to go through both court systems to establish and enact one. In the mean time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
There is a very good reason the were hunted so strongly.
If you think the Mountain Lion is a problem just wait.

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
I agree, they are more efficient as group hunters and proliferate faster. Less fear of folks than Lions, and seriously doubt there will be any legal hunts on them even after well established in CA.

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
Sounds like it's going to be an uphill legal battle to manage them due to total state and federal protection prior to a management plan.

This should take decades and millions of $ to go through both court systems to establish and enact one. In the mean time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
a couple females, a male, and 5 pups. And you think we need a management plan?!?!

The last time we managed them they disappeared. its time we let them manage themselves. In the meantime, lets watch the ecosystem of California return to what it used to be, just like Yellowstone has seen happen:

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
nothing but pure BS and scare tactics. here are the real facts:

wolf attacks on humans(All 50 US states since 1761):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wolf_attacks_in_North_America

US wolf population(US):

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/wolf/aboutwolves/WolfPopUS.htm

Mountain Lion Attacks on humans (California Only since 1986):

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/lion/attacks.html

Mountain Lion Population(US):

http://mountainlion.org/us/-us-population.asp

Joe Bal

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 9, 2010
Menifee, Ca
I agree, next on the news is going to be "child killed by wolfs while hiking" There is a reason why people got rid of them 100 years ago. if you want to thin out deer herds the state should give out more Doe tags.

SlowSinker

Keep it candid
Dec 21, 2014
San Diego, CA
Name
Sterling
Boat
None
If there's anything I've learned studying forestry at university, its nature finds a way and it all balances out.

Reactions: Gil Marlin

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
I agree, next on the news is going to be "child killed by wolfs while hiking" There is a reason why people got rid of them 100 years ago. if you want to thin out deer herds the state should give out more Doe tags.
No one wants to see a child injured or killed. Maybe they should be accompanied by armed Adults that are not bozos and keep an eye on their kids?

Fact of the matter is I have spent a lot of time in the "woods" in California days from the road which are more like pussified city parks. The real woods are Wyoming, Idaho and Montana where there are about 5 or 6 things that will kick your ass and you then actually feel you are in the "woods" ie a truly wild place.

Coyotes are a much more real problem and should be shot on sight from dwellings. But more kids die from moron parents that let them ride a bike w/o a helmet.

I welcome a return of wildness to mainland California, because if there is not a chance you would get eaten or at least stomped/gored, you are not in the woods. You are in an amusement park just like any other doofus at Disneyland.

Wolves will thin out the Coyotes, and bring back Beaver etc as what they eat is over eaten by deer.

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: PassTheSoySauce

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
No one wants to see a child injured or killed. Maybe they should be accompanied by armed Adults that are not bozos and keep an eye on their kids?

Fact of the matter is I have spent a lot of time in the "woods" in California days from the road which are more like pussified city parks. The real woods are Wyoming, Idaho and Montana where there are about 5 or 6 things that will kick your ass and you actually feel you are in the "woods".

Coyotes are a much more real problem and should be shot on sight from dwellings. But more kids die from moron parents that let them ride a bike w/o a helmet.

I welcome a return of wildness to mainland California, because if there is not a chance you would get eaten or at least stomped/gored, you are not in the woods. You are in an amusement park just like any other doofus at Disneyland.

Wolves will thin out the Coyotes, and bring back Beaver etc as what they eat is over eaten by deer.

:)
I wish I was as diplomatic. Well said.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Long overdue to put the top of the food chain back in place.

For a good read take a look at "A Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
a couple females, a male, and 5 pups. And you think we need a management plan?!?!

The last time we managed them they disappeared. its time we let them manage themselves. In the meantime, lets watch the ecosystem of California return to what it used to be, just like Yellowstone has seen happen:

Quit being a hot head and reading shit into what i wrote.
I did not imply that the sky is falling because there are a few more, at this time, wild canines running around. Nor did I imply that I favor eradication.

Would it be incorrect to plan on them growing in population as they have elsewhere and have tools in place to manage them?

Being totally protected precludes a management plan.

When ranchers are losing livestock for example, (choose your own) as I read it , one would need to overturn the protections in both court systems to legally deal with a problem.

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
"We must seize this opportunity to forge new partnerships to help wolves live in harmony with people and livestock in their California home.”

HELP WANTED: Full time/short term

We need two very recent biology grads (more will be hired as needed)

You will be a self-starter with zero supervision...you're on your own.

Job Description:

You will wander through the forest with steak tied around your neck looking for a wolf pack.

You will be responsible for community outreach to all packs.

You will meet face to face with the alpha leader and forge a new partnership to help wolves live in harmony with people and livestock.

Benefits:

(1) EPIRB

(1) helicopter evacuation

(6) Costco steaks

State of Calif. catastrophic medical insurance plan

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Wolves I'm not scared:
Average Number of Deaths per Year in the U.S

Bee/Wasp 53
Dogs 31
Spider 6.5
Rattlesnake 5.5
Mountain lion 1
Shark 1
Alligator 0.3
Bear 0.5
Scorpion 0.5
Centipede 0.5
Elephant 0.25
Wolf 0.1
Horse 20
Bull 3

Drunk Drivers?????

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
If you've never watched a wolf pack chase down a herd of pregnant cow elk until they aborted the fetus and the cow falls and then watch the wolf(s) simply kill the fetus and then chew the hid quarters of the cow to just leave her and then move onto the next pregnant cow/fetus and repeat never to eat any of it... you're all in for a treat....

These demons were poisoned off 150 years ago for good reason and nothing good will come from this new species of wolf being introduced.....

I just wish a few of these end up in some city parks so all the kumbayah singing granolas can witness for themselves.....

Only an ignorant dumb ass would want these things within 1000 miles of any human population. There is nothing wrong with a world without them.

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
Wolves are fucking awesome.
Maybe grizzly bears will follow.
Not saying I wouldnt like a pelt.
Can't get a pelt if there aren't any wolves.

Reactions: middleofnowhere

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
If you've never watched a wolf pack chase down a herd of pregnant cow elk until they aborted the fetus and the cow falls and then watch the wolf(s) simply kill the fetus and then chew the hid quarters of the cow to just leave her and then move onto the next pregnant cow/fetus and repeat never to eat any of it... you're all in for a treat....

These demons were poisoned off 150 years ago for good reason and nothing good will come from this new species of wolf being introduced.....

I just wish a few of these end up in some city parks so all the kumbayah singing granolas can witness for themselves.....

Only an ignorant dumb ass would want these things within 1000 miles of any human population. There is nothing wrong with a world without them.
It's called nature. Carnivorous and omnivorous animals eat other animals. Most don't stop to clean and cook and sit at a table.

Reactions: johndtuttle

BiggestT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate

The Idaho biologists say that 90% of the elk calves are eaten before they hit the ground.

Reactions: clintonstick

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
" Wolves are fucking awesome.
Maybe grizzly bears will follow.
Not saying I wouldnt like a pelt.
Can't get a pelt if there aren't any wolves."

I'll be sure to add you to the list.....

Anyone else?