Pescador Paul

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 11, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
Is it possible that some of the long range fleet could be registered as Mexican vessels and operate out of Ensenada? And would this allow them to fish some of the areas they are in danger of being banned from?

Paul

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
The regulations for the Cedros "Biosphere" prohibit boats longer than 30 feet.

Operating out of Ensenada shouldn't affect that one way or the other.

I'm sure the Mayor of Ensenada as well as the Governor of Baja California would love to see investors create the infrastructure to support a fleet of boats operating out of Ensenada. To support that there would have to be a reliable bait operation on the scale of Everingham Brothers, or at least the San Pedro Bait Company. Docks for the boats, fuel docks, food for the galleys, reliable bus transportation from a parking lot in San Diego or a secure parking area there, and then there's fish processing.

Think of the support services for the boats themselves, all the systems that need service, plumbing, electrical, electronics, A/C is a big one. What about boat yards for haul outs and maintenance? Housing for captains and drew?

Everybody sees it on a small scale in Puerto Vallarta with Success, Constitution and Apollo running out of there for three months, but we bring a lot of stuff with us and air travel is not all that affordable. Plus, cost per day might be higher.

Give me Point Loma and let the powers that be continue to negotiate. Something will come around for us. Meanwhile, I just can't wait for my 8 day at the end of September. Lots of fish offshore.

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Is it possible that some of the long range fleet could be registered as Mexican vessels and operate out of Ensenada? And would this allow them to fish some of the areas they are in danger of being banned from?

Paul

There are a lot of options already for fishing in Mexico.....one of the biggest draws for long range fishing is having the ability to launch and return all from the good old USA.... no mordidas....no border fiascos....no worries if your car will be there when you get back....no federales ....it's just so simple......very unique situation. Going international is another experience. Once all the convenience is removed it will be interesting to see where everyone goes. There are private Sportfishing operations around the world.....not much open party options.....maybe that will change? Doubt it....let's enjoy it while we can.

Upvote 0

pkmallard

Sep 3, 2014
Name
P.
Boat
ranger
Is there still a chance Mexico will open things up for the fall trips?
I don't care to fish 8 days offshore, I book these trips for variety.
I'm going to scrap my trip if things don't change soon, I'd much rather do 5 days at the Lupe than 8 days offshore.

Upvote 0

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
Is there still a chance Mexico will open things up for the fall trips?
I don't care to fish 8 days offshore, I book these trips for variety.
I'm going to scrap my trip if things don't change soon, I'd much rather do 5 days at the Lupe than 8 days offshore.

You don't think you can get a variety of species on an 8-day trip? It all depends on the time of year. 8-day trips are NOT all about tuna and Wahoo, although nothing wrong with them. Personally, I will stay with my 8-day trips. I have been to Guadalupe, so I am familiar with both

Upvote 0

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO.
Name
Doug
Boat
Hobie Kayak
I agree with Fishy. On a 6 day last season we went to the Ridge and to Alijos. Captain is going to go where the fish are. Smart call. We did very well, great trip, however, on a 6 day it's a long way there, and back. An 8 day gives way more time on site and gives Cap a bunch more options. I'm on an 8 day this time around. Of course it all depends on the time you can get away and how much you can afford but no doubt the overriding opinion is go as long as you can.
Once onboard, make sure you go straight to the wheelhouse and tell the captain right away exactly where you should be going, what speed to troll, that sort of stuff.LOL
Doug

Reactions: RockHopperNCKA
Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
[ Once onboard, make sure you go straight to the wheelhouse and tell the captain right away exactly where you should be going, what speed to troll, that sort of stuff.LOL
Doug[/QUOTE]

Now that is funny.....

Upvote 0

RockHopperNCKA

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 25, 2017
Santa Rosa, CA
www.norcalkayakanglers.com
Name
Dustin
Boat
Do kayaks count?
I agree with Fishy. On a 6 day last season we went to the Ridge and to Alijos. Captain is going to go where the fish are. Smart call. We did very well, great trip, however, on a 6 day it's a long way there, and back. An 8 day gives way more time on site and gives Cap a bunch more options. I'm on an 8 day this time around. Of course it all depends on the time you can get away and how much you can afford but no doubt the overriding opinion is go as long as you can.

Exactly why I chose a 10 day for my first LR trip.

Reactions: Fishybuzz
Upvote 0