Wister Snow Goose

Tedtaylor

Aug 25, 2012
Taylor
Name
Ted
Boat
Ghost
There were tons of snow geese and they were dropping into spreads all around me. I didn't have any decoys. Seemed like lots of guys were shooting at em. I didn't stick around to watch the check in. If you have 50 dozen or more you will have a decent shoot this weekend. U4, W11, 514?

Reactions: Steve Snow Killer
Jan 18, 2018
Ontario, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22’ Grady White
Thanks, think with Sonny Bono (Hazard, etc) total with Wister was 80. I guess 100 count was a little high. 2 years in a row, I should have hunted opener after swearing I wouldn’t. Think things are getting a little better there.

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Norwalk
Name
Carl
Boat
Vagabond, The Last Minute
Based on surrounding reports, I would estimate there were about 4 grand in the region as of Saturday.

The actual opener (Thursday) was not as good as it would have been the previous Saturday IMO.

There were a lot of juve's, however more unattached adults arrived early last week and promptly started organizing them.

Always shoot the white one's first.

DOGHOUSE26

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Visit site
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Based on surrounding reports, I would estimate there were about 4 grand in the region as of Saturday.

The actual opener (Thursday) was not as good as it would have been the previous Saturday IMO.

There were a lot of juve's, however more unattached adults arrived early last week and promptly started organizing them.

Always shoot the white one's first.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Racist!

Reactions: BluefinCurly
Jan 18, 2018
Ontario, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22’ Grady White
Most people don’t realize it when the adult or lead bird talks and will pull the juvies and even adults that get pulled toward your spread back into formation. I had a lone juvie come cupped hard toward my spread and an adult in the area turned around flew toward the juvie and basically chewed the juvie out .... like your about to die you stupid kid and the juvie turned around and joined up with the adult. Wister birds get smart fast. Hit Wister up soon before it is too late! Hunt Sac/Delevan 2nd week of Jan. But best closing weekend Or hunt with Kid Creole anytime for $300/day and you don’t have to worry about decoys and sweatline, etc. I shot 300 dollars worth of expensive shells for 7 snows over 1 weekend. Black cloud BBB worked best for us pass shooting Sac

Reactions: Blackfish

CartridgeCalls

100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
www.ebay.com
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
Tons of Candian Geese flew over palmdale today headed towards wister.

Reactions: finsane

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Norwalk
Name
Carl
Boat
Vagabond, The Last Minute
Most people don’t realize it when the adult or lead bird talks and will pull the juvies and even adults that get pulled toward your spread back into formation.
Yep. See it all the time.

Last week before opener, I watched an unattached group that had been corralled by a smaller family group w/adults.

They flew in and sat them in a bulrush stand of ours, left them and flew out to scout new areas, came back 30 minutes later and called them all out and left.

Jan 18, 2018
Ontario, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22’ Grady White
Most people don’t realize it when the adult or lead bird talks and will pull the juvies and even adults that get pulled toward your spread back into formation. I had a lone juvie come cupped hard toward my spread and an adult in the area turned around flew toward the juvie and basically chewed the juvie out .... like your about to die you stupid kid and the juvie turned around and joined up with the adult. Wister birds get smart fast. Hit Wister up soon before it is too late! Hunt Sac/Delevan 2nd week of Jan. But best closing weekend Or hunt with Kid Creole for $300/day and you don’t have to worry about decoys and sweatline, etc. I shot 300 dollars worth of expensive shells for 7 snows

Reactions: CartridgeCalls
Jan 18, 2018
Ontario, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22’ Grady White
Yep. See it all the time.

Last week before opener, I watched an unattached group that had been corralled by a smaller family group w/adults.

They flew in and sat them in a bulrush stand of ours, left them and flew out to scout new areas, came back 30 minutes later and called them all out and left.
That is impressive. Smart birds.

KID CREOLE

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
Visit site
Name
Stefan
Boat
Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
They are the toughest bird there is to decoy
Yes adults will pull juvies out of danger most of the time. Always shoot the Adults, leave the juvies

Here is a video I took a few years ago, toward the end, listen to the adults make a romp romp romp sound as they finally picked us out

CartridgeCalls

100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
www.ebay.com
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
Anyone local to me have a pair of size 12 waders I can borrow or buy? My lacrosse just blew out.

Jan 18, 2018
Ontario, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22’ Grady White
Wow that was awesome!
Talk about low birds..got to go, got to go.... better start saving my money.

A huge group of snows came off the Sea in the morning (late season). I had a huge tight tornado come over me (and my rotary, a little high for my 1650 Kent 2s) at a pond north of the Wister check in station on a Sunday where I was pretty much alone. I let all the birds land, kind of unsure if I was going to pull the trigger a some lower flyers and just watched in amazement until I saw them start landing 2 ponds over ( I guess they knew where they wanted to go before I did). Birds would get up one to a few at a time from the large group (1500+) and with my rotary, I figured it would pull some over my way. It did and I dropped a single just outside my decoys. Half way up pops the snows head, no problem I thought. Well...then it started swimming away from me and I’m winded from the lovely Wister pond mud so I try to put him down...3 rounds right at him and he was still swimming strong ...SOB. I chased the bird 2 ponds over and I seriously thought I was going to have a fricken heart attack or something. Luckily I pushed the bird right to a father and son hunting 3rd pond down and the 6 year old kid shot his first goose, I let him keep it... That was cool to see that father-son experience. Of course that large group flew away when so stood up on the dyke (so?). I was told 6s are better kill loads on water and to aim a little below the bird. Lately, in my gun, I have better results with black cloud. January up at Sac, I shoot BC 2 or 1s for 1st round, then BC BBB for last 2. Seems snows have really thick feathers that time of year and unless they are close, either need smaller size pellet to get through the skin or BBBs to give a heavy hit

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
I do not hunt but have seen Snow geese recently and made me realize , I used to see them all the time as a kid in 70's' 80's.
They, like the city buzzards, just disappeared from the L.A. and the surrounding cities. Pasadena, Glendale, Hollywood, and beach cities.
I just saw them again while on my way to go fishing down Bolsa Chica road.
Do you eat them?
Cuz. That's a whole lot of geese.