mark johnsen

Ichthus
Aug 1, 2015
redlands
Name
Mark
Boat
Blue J
Wow guys! Sorry about the getting stuck. That totally stinks! I had to pause for a moment after each story to let my heart rate slow down again. I hate that stuff! Sounds like you both had great hunts though! At least you weren't skunked. The heavy straps ease the pain a little bit...a little bit. Glad everybody made it home safe.

Jan 18, 2018
Ontario, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22’ Grady White
Yep, Wister Devil Mud.
Anyone, go out to retrieve a bird in a pond, then step into a fricken mud-pot (I think they call it) ? It happened to me over 20 years ago (I was a lifeguard and scuba dive master at the time, thank God). I think most other greenhorns would have panicked and drown. Didn’t hear of anyone die yet.... I was retrieving a duck and in the middle of a deep pond, I instantly sank down in mud, water over my head. While underwater, I couldn’t move either of my legs out and was in mud up to my armpits. I clicked one shoulder strap release off and was able to slither out of my wader and get air. Got my gun out of mud and 1/2 hour or so later went back for my waders. Took awhile to work my waders out of the mud.
Another time, for the snow opener at Wister, I thought putting some decoys on a narrow island would look good. While on the island, I sank hip deep in mud and took me 45 min to get out. I had to lay face down horizontal to mud and crawl out like a turtle . I now carry a ski pole, with strap (painted mud brown) every time I enter the Wister water and it really really helps

Reactions: kbray001

HighWildFree

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
Two things to carry with you.

1) For your truck tires:

View attachment 1098191
2) For your cart tires:

View attachment 1098192
Does Pam really work? I’d think the chains would be full of mud after one rotation.

Ahh yes, wister mud, the sole inducer of what I call “wister rage”. Which is what we call it when you’re freaking out, pissed off, tired and convinced your going to die, stuck in the mud. All usually within 10 feet of your buddies who are enjoying the show. I have video of myself taking over 7 minutes to retrieve a duck 25 yards away, lots of rage there!

Last edited:

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Pam works if you keep reapplying it. Chains will do a hell of a lot better than bare tires. BUT, if you really want to get in and out of the mud down there you need to be driving one of these:

Reactions: BluefinCurly

fishunter2

Sep 3, 2015
Riverside,Ca
Name
Tim
Boat
Ranger
It’s like no other mud, I’ve ever experienced. Steve, my buddy went out hunting alone one day, went to retrieve a bird and as you, sunk up to his thighs. The more he struggled the deeper he got and got more wore out he got. It went through his mind that this is where he might die. He also was able to use his gun to army crawl out of his waders. He was able to save his waders and crawl away. He’ll never go out alone again. I’ve heard numerous stories of guys hunting the sea with similar stories. And those mud pots are just plain spooky, especially when covered by a couple feet of water.

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
I hunted the north end of the sea for years and years. Yeah, I understand the mud.

eric harner

Caliente Tuna
Oct 7, 2009
Phoenix Hellazona
Name
Azlandlocked
Boat
RRII, PV, the Big X