John S.

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 4, 2008
Valley Center, CA
Name
John
Boat
1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
I was handling my dog on a pond just North of Wister. So, I can hear Wister. It was ridiculously quiet for an opener. It sounded like an average Sunday at Wister and not opening day. Lots of ponds had little to no water. Some of the best ponds had nothing. Likely the worst opener in over a decade. It will get better once the ponds get their water. Too bad for the guys who had a draw but were jacked by the conditions. Hunted it last opener and it was lights out

John

Reactions: CartridgeCalls

CartridgeCalls

100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
www.ebay.com
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
It was very slow where we hunted as well. I was ready for it to sound like WW3 and it sounded like compton on a slow day. Hopefully the water levels rise and the birds come down. Going out wednesday afternoon to get some more hopefully.

If nothing else the coots were in full force so I could alwas take 25 of tose home and cook them up.

Last edited:
Reactions: FishAcquisition

gearho

Captain of my own domane
Aug 14, 2004
Irvine
Name
STEVE
Boat
28 Bertrem
We were in T12#3 we shot 4 birds for the four of us , It was devastating to see the refuge like this it looked like a waste land.

Phat Boat

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
I scouted all around where I could legally and I thought the refuge looked great. T12 looked awesome after the burning and T10 looked great, once they add water should be good hunting. Lots of timothy in T10. The ponds should not have that moss garbage as soon now, early December saw some ponds mossed over and unhuntable. Ill take a slow opener for a better shooting refuge later on.

Rick is gone Stefan and he left the refuge a mess but..at least they are burning again.

Talked to some of the staff at unit one, no ducks there either and they have been flooded. There were just very few ducks around the valley.

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Norwalk
Name
Carl
Boat
Vagabond, The Last Minute
Our club sucked balls too, which is what I expected in weeks leading up.
However, Snow goose opener looks promising, as it is predominately gray, and opens on a Thursday:D

I have it on very good authority that IID had to call the refuge and ask if they were going to order water just 2 weeks prior to opener.

Friends of ours found the X with a 35 draw and shot 28 green heads for the 4 of them. There are some ducks, but are keyed in on freshly watered bulrush and timothy.

gearho

Captain of my own domane
Aug 14, 2004
Irvine
Name
STEVE
Boat
28 Bertrem
I scouted all around where I could legally and I thought the refuge looked great. T12 looked awesome after the burning and T10 looked great, once they add water should be good hunting. Lots of timothy in T10. The ponds should not have that moss garbage as soon now, early December saw some ponds mossed over and unhuntable. Ill take a slow opener for a better shooting refuge later on.

Rick is gone Stefan and he left the refuge a mess but..at least they are burning again.

Talked to some of the staff at unit one, no ducks there either and they have been flooded. There were just very few ducks around the valley.
Friday t12#3 was loaded with birds then it was not.

ahidog

10000 atta boys
Sep 15, 2004
San Diego
Name
Tom
Boat
105', Camcraft, 85', Ditmar, 65' Noreck
Our club shot 1 bird we’re right next to t10-4 and I agree with BluefinCurley goose looks good for the opener. Hopefully birds will come down soon and there will be better shooting later.

Birdhunter37

Oct 20, 2019
Temecula
Name
CP
Boat
None now
Not sure, but this could be a reason as to where the birds were. I know a guy that hunts a spot off the sea and he went to his blind to find that the shore line was posted by the IID. He was told that the reason was because of dust that could potentially be drummed up with people accessing their blinds. This could be an issue if birds are able to loaf on the sea with no pressure. Again, not sure if this holds any truth

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Norwalk
Name
Carl
Boat
I wonder how long it takes to get Wister ponded at all sites?
And was the new Manager unaware of the Opening Date?
With all the leveling of ponds in recent years, not as long as it used to. You still have to account for settling (first flood) and evaporation (hot temps, low humidity, and wind).

There was NO interim manager at the time.

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Norwalk
Name
Carl
Boat
Not sure, but this could be a reason as to where the birds were. I know a guy that hunts a spot off the sea and he went to his blind to find that the shore line was posted by the IID. He was told that the reason was because of dust that could potentially be drummed up with people accessing their blinds. This could be an issue if birds are able to loaf on the sea with no pressure. Again, not sure if this holds any truth
Yes, it impacts us. It used to be an afternoon westerly would push the birds off the sea. Now, with the water receding, there are now exposed loafing areas where they are more tolerant of a 15mph breeze.

HighWildFree

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
6D380957-C07D-42E1-93F0-F6839CB04BB1.jpeg

Had a #25 draw on the opener and hit one of my old haunts. The dyke was completely grown over. Took and hour and a half to cut and saw our way through the first 150 yards. Finally sat down 5 min after shoot time.

Ended with 9 birds, 7 teal, one redhead and one gadwall. Dog put in work, would have only found 1 if it wasn’t for her. Nothing like the last opener I hunted 3 seasons ago, we were limited by 7:15.