DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Well I got lucky one of my buddies with a 10 year old son and a 15 year old daughter mark my words she will be the next Angelina Jollie called and asked if my dog and I were doing anything on the opener as they landed a #29 resi and they would love to have my dog (and me) with them. Didn't take much to say yes so we were on the road late Friday night to meet them at the Check Station @ 2:45 Saturday morning. As you would expect most of the 28 reservations ahead of us showed up and combined with a late 3:15 start to call numbers we didn't get out of the lot until 4:10 but we hunted in the middle of the Refuge and it didn't take long to get to the site. We only had open water on one side and heavy reeds with a few potholes on the east side so our 4 dozen dekes put out quite a spread. With the Concessionaire Trailer permanently gone and no cover brush to purchase its imperative you bring your own Blind Material and I use a portable Turkey Blind setup that creates a 3' tall by 8' long camo wall to put in front of the existing brush to create a decent blind. Shooting time was 6:22 and man it was a war zone for the next hour and a half. I couldn't see a thing for the first 15 minute as my eyes are not what they used to be but my buddy and the kids saw a few and took their shots. The 10 year old shot straight above us and I couldn't see anything but low a behold a few seconds later plop goes a Cinnamon Teal on the dike right in front of the blind. As it got lighter I started to back up the kids shots which were long ones as I had to wait on them to pull the trigger and those jet stream Teal don't hang around its afterburner mode after the first shot. I was somewhat surprised as how far out my #2 Steel would knock them down dead. I would say it was mostly pass shooting for us as none of the birds really worked the decoys they just swung by for a closer look and the ones that strayed too close paid the price. We ended up with 23 birds; 1 hen pintail, a hen shoveler, a Bluebill, and the rest were teal with 2/3s of them being Cinnamons. My buddy and his 2 kids packed up @ 10AM as she had a Homecoming Dance to attend and I stayed until 2 for a hopefully afternoon bigger bird duck hunt that never happened. Ended up with 2 more chances and bagged a Greenwing on one of them and muffed on a pair of Pintails and that was it. Bring gallons of Bug Spray as the mosquitoes were the worst as I can remember and I'm still scratching like a dog today. The Davis Road turnoff off the 111 has changed a little and the entrance to the Main lot is from the Southwest Corner now and don't forget to bring a mask to the Check Station every time even if you're not a spreader.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Lol... ringneck

DOGHOUSE26
DOGHOUSE26
How in the F was I supposed to know; if its Black I don't shoot it, unless its a MoFo breaking into my house........
Upvote 0