Wister January 11th

Bendo28

Jan 29, 2009
Rancho Santa Margarita/CA/USA
Name
Ben
Boat
NA
Probably the last trip down to Wister for me this year and it was a decent one. I ended up right in the middle of the sweat line guys, I think about 27 of 58 or so, and ended up in another spot that I haven't hunted yet which is usually hit or miss, but for me it's good to keep learning about the different locations as there are so many. It took me awhile to find the blind location, missed the second bridge to the correct levee, and walked...and walked...until I finally ended up in the right spot, though only because of the blind remnants. The post marking the blind site was ripped out of the ground and down next to the water, which I didn't find out until later in the day. By the time I found the spot I only had about 45 minutes, so I got the decoys set and settled with about ten minutes to spare, no time to brush up the blind, that would wait until later.

Fly off was the usual Saturday shit show, though I was surprised not too many early shots. The teal were buzzing around pretty good for the first 20 minutes or so, but I was in one of the ponds next to the road so I didn't have too many opportunities at first. I only had two singles come in range at fly off and connected on both and they landed within a few feet of each other and didn't move an inch. It's nice when you don't have to worry about cripples getting away or the wind blowing them to the opposite side of the pond. I finally am getting into a groove with the new choke in my gun, maybe I found the right ammo, or maybe I'm just finding my form...I think part of it was just in my head. After sunup I took some time during the lulls and consolidated the remnants from the season of blind building and constructed a nice two man blind that was a work of art.

photo 1.JPG

The next few hours were slow, and very frustrating. The 4 guys in the blind across from me were only two levees over and they were spread out over about 200 yards. They each set up about 50 yards apart, which for me meant that anything coming from their direction was not going to make it. If there were medals for sky busting, these guys would have all won golds. I had a potential TV worthy moment when I had a big group of sprigs come over me high from right to left, they spotted my spread and cupped the wings, started a big circle out around and front and were lining up to come down nicely for a straight on shot and the guys in front of me let off a volley when the birds were still easily a hundred yards + over their head. Of course none fell and they flared and off they went in the opposite direction. This went on pretty much all morning, eventually they regrouped into two blinds which yielded a couple other possible chances for me, though many were ruined as they kept taking hail Mary shots at ducks that were sometimes over my pond, which may seam like an exaggeration but it is not. Mostly I just sat shaking my head as they continued to call continuously from shoot time for about 30 minutes with their mojos spinning away and their circles of two or three dozen mallard decoys. The pellets from some of there shots were even making it past me and landing in the pond behind me.

Finally a small group of sprigs makes it through the blockade and I down a nice bull (my first) which landed on the levee between me and the steel curtain. I hoofed it over to pick up the downed bird and while I was searching for it in the bushes the guns sounded again as a single hen teal cruised by which they all missed. A couple quick shots by me and that fell as well...thanks fellas, you were most helpful. Picked up my nice bull sprig and hen cinnamon and I retreated to my fortress of solitude feeling proud.

photo 3.JPGphoto 2_1.JPG

It got hot out pretty quickly, and with not a breath of wind I was really thankful for breathable waders, best investment for hunting out here I have made, followed by the feeder butt decoy which I built over the summer from the instructions on here. I will be making at least one more this coming off season as they are worth every penny. This day I used one feeder and two quiver butts, split up in the center of two groups of decoys and it seemed to work well. The birds weren't moving like crazy but I had enough looks to tell me that they were interested. As usual they wanted no part of calling. The only thing calling was good for was to warn the guys next to me of approaching ducks so I pretty much left the calls hanging for fear of alerting my neighbors...I needed every advantage I could get.

photo 2 (1).JPG

Picked off another single teal around lunch time that tried to sneak into my spread and I made a nice spin move to grab my gun and make the shot as it caught me by surprise. It sounded like steady shooting to the South in the U/T areas and maybe W blinds. Even the blinds on the sea side sounded to be plugging away, at least more so than where I was. I'd say there was something flying every 20 minutes or so, but most of it got scared off by the all stars. I will admit though, as frustrated as I was, they made some shots and even one...maybe two...were pretty good. At about 1 I had a double on spoonies which finished my day, and even they were spoon tangs I was happy to end on a double...fist pump...time to get the hell out of there. Packed up and got on the road in time to make it home and watch the Patriots dominate. All in all not a bad Saturday considering the weather and lack of birds. I only missed twice and only shot a half box of shells which made me feel good. As for my sharp shooting neighbors, I hope they finished the day with good numbers. We all pay to hunt there and guys like that are just part of it. Taking long shots isn't against the law, it's just frustrating, especially when it ruins opportunities for everybody else. If and when I can afford to join a club, it's high on my list, until then I'll just have to deal with it.

photo 3 (2).JPG

Upvote 0

gearho

Captain of my own domane
Aug 14, 2004
Irvine
Name
STEVE
Boat
28 Bertrem
Nice day there I have been club shooing all season, yesterday was my first refuge trip to SJ in the afternoon no body let the birds work. Sky busting over calling straight hail calls. Wednesday Iv'e been invited to Wister with a low draw #. I look forward to my first trip down there, but I sure do enjoy having a blind and decoys all set and ready each day we can shoot. This is my first season and I'm hooked deep. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Thanks for the awesome report, sounds like you had a great day! Limit on a half box of shells ain't bad either, nice work!

Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    Nice job! Skybusting is just part of it. It sucks even worse when they hit one of those 70+ yard shots encouraging them to do it more. Even at clubs there are a few, the only difference is they get told pretty quick to knock it off and let the birds work.
    No shame in shooting spoonies. It's what we have all over the state if you take a look at the counts. The spoon with white fat taste fine. The spoon with yellow fat are the stinky ones.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Nice job! Skybusting is just part of it. It sucks even worse when they hit one of those 70+ yard shots encouraging them to do it more. Even at clubs there are a few, the only difference is they get told pretty quick to knock it off and let the birds work.
    No shame in shooting spoonies. It's what we have all over the state if you take a look at the counts. The spoon with white fat taste fine. The spoon with yellow fat are the stinky ones.

Nice shooting!

I'm gonna shoot Jason a pile of white fat spoons on wed.....Bon apetite

Upvote 0

ahidog

10000 atta boys
    Sep 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    105', Camcraft, 85', Ditmar, 65' Noreck
    How can you tell the white fat ones in the air?

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    Nice strap and sounds like a good time.

We weren't expecting much with no weather, bright moon, etc. but they were flying at our place next door.

Upvote 0

aeon

ugh....
    Apr 11, 2006
    foothill ranch
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    /600hp ls3 powered Airboat
    nice job! You guys might have heard a few rounds going off down by hazard on sat :) WWH was sat- report to come!!!!

Upvote 0

stevefwolfe

Almost A Member
    May 19, 2008
    Westminster
    Name
    Wolf
    Boat
    yes I have one
    I was at Wister on Sunday and it sucked!! We were in Y115a3 and the guys next to us were way out on their levy. We left by 11am with nothing. The birds were high and people would not let them work. My daughter took two shots and I did not pull the trigger.
    Oh well a day with the kid is great

Upvote 0

LoneStalker

Almost A Member
    Nov 29, 2010
    Valley Center CA
    Name
    Blaine
    Boat
    14'Valco, Nitro Z6
    I figured this would be a good thread to ask a few questions. My buddies and I were talking about making the trip to wister next weekend and trying our luck in the sweat line. I've hunted other wildlife areas and know the process. Is there normally a good chance to get in at first light or refill? I'm just looking for some info before we make the trip. Thanks

Upvote 0

Bendo28

Jan 29, 2009
    Rancho Santa Margarita/CA/USA
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    NA
    The only time I've ever not gotten on sweat lining it at wister was on opening day. Other than that I've never had an issue but I haven't been around as long as some of the other guys. Sundays are a sure thing. Saturdays you won't have a problem, all the prime spots may be gone but you take what you can get, and that's how you learn the area. You will usually have your share of chances no matter were you end up. I keep a log for each day I hunt for future reference also which helps later on.

Upvote 0

LoneStalker

Almost A Member
    Nov 29, 2010
    Valley Center CA
    Name
    Blaine
    Boat
    14'Valco, Nitro Z6
    Awesome! Thats the kind of motivation I was looking for.

The only time I've ever not gotten on sweat lining it at wister was on opening day. Other than that I've never had an issue but I haven't been around as long as some of the other guys. Sundays are a sure thing. Saturdays you won't have a problem, all the prime spots may be gone but you take what you can get, and that's how you learn the area. You will usually have your share of chances no matter were you end up. I keep a log for each day I hunt for future reference also which helps later on.

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    move to grab my gun and make the shot as it caught me by surprise. It sounded like steady shooting to the South in the U/T areas and maybe W blinds. Even the blinds on the sea side sounded to be plugging away, at least more so than where I was.

What a douche!!!!

Upvote 0