wishing to change all roller guides for normal boat guides, worth it?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by steelfish, Feb 4, 2015.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    hey guys,

I have this trolling rod since 7 years ago, its a all roller guides, 6" quantum blue runner gold trolling rod, I only used 3 times then I started to use braid line and found better rod options than this one, it just doesnt look good braid and roller guides and also it also doesnt work as good as with mono line, anyway.

since I really like the size 6" and the Heady duty black (130lb) special to work as "panga rod" I was thinking to take the rollers out and put some normal SS guides on it to start using it again as my HD rod.

I dont plan to go with fancy guides of $60-$100 price, I will be happy with some $30-$40 guides and also planning to do the job myself (in my small town here in Mexico nobody is good enough to do the job as you guys) and I dont want to send the rod to a big city and pay big money for that, if I really need to do that then I better sold the rod for cheap and find another short rod in the future.

Im really all cover with my actual reels and rods so, this is more like a personal project as my first parcial "rod build job".. but if you really think it really doesnt worth the hassle then I will stop here before taking the knife on the guides.

non of my reels have mono line so, this rod is been always getting dust on the basement.

all alloy butt cap for fighting belt., all alloy rod seat with double ring, as well as a nice long top handle

[​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

all roller guides.
    [​IMG]

your comments?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. smithers

smithers Amateur itamae

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo 11
    Have stripped one and have a couple in line.

I think the deciding factor on "is it worth doing" depends largely on whether you have to cut the reel seat off. If I were in that situation pretty sure I'd just dump the rod for $50 or whatever and buy a clean blank. Otherwise the task is not so bad if spread out over time (do 1 or 2 guides when you are in the mood; whole thing in 1 stretch I would probably not enjoy)

3. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    I think you would not be happy with the rod with cheap ring guides. With heavy drag pressure you want quality guides. The components on your rod are quality and look to be in good shape. You'd be better off selling the rod and finding another that meets your needs. Also, there's no reason why you can't fish braid with rollers.

Whalebreath and Capt Richie like this.
  4. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    well the other reason for changing the guides is to be able to cast a heavy jig with my trolling reel (fathom or penn 320gt) quickly just changing the lure on the same rod.

normally on a panga boat since they are small you only carry two rods, one for trolling and one for bait or casting lures... if you can get away with one reel/rod combo that's golden, I always took 2 combos with me, tho.

but hell, you guys are right, this rod looks too clean and good quality components, I better clean those rollers and use it one more time and after that try to decide to keep it or sell it and get a proper panga rod with braid ready rings.

5. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jimmy
    Boat:
    17' Keywest
    Alex, rod looks great as it is, fish it! And what Bill said, should not be a problem running braid through those guides.

6. Rodcrafter

Rodcrafter Well-Known "Member"

Aftco and All American both have upgraded rollers to alleviate the issue of braid getting between the roller and frame. Upgrade would probably run $25 and well worth it.

7. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    that sounds nice, I will check them out