Wiring transducer help needed!

Discussion in 'Boat Electronics' started by cbadfisherman, Oct 17, 2015.

1. cbadfisherman

cbadfisherman Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    Sinking
    Hey guys,

17' Center console striper.

Just picked up an Elite7 Chirp. Was going through the installation process today but came across a problem I can not get around. The way I was going about pulling the xducer cable through was using a string and pulling up through the opening where all my cables are ran through. Only problem is that the xducer cable is getting caught up. Now my dad purchased this boat from seawitch many years ago, and I do NOT want to go back to them to install (terrible service and work). I assume the way they wired the previous finder and cables when he bought the boat was basically by lifting up the whole center console.

My question for you guys (specifically the ones in North County SD), do you know of any install places that I can take it too? I don't want to lift up the center console by myself and as much as I hate to say it I'd rather pay someone to do it.

I had tried every which way to pull that cable through but the hole is just a little too tight. Do you guys have any jerry rig ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Bryan

2. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Had same problem. Get stick of 1/2" schd 40 pvc. Cut as long as will fit.. From end you are pulling to, slide pipe over string until it rests against the connector that's hanging up. It should pull in fairly easy. Good luck.

cbadfisherman likes this.
  3. Unassailable

Unassailable Professional Amateur

Name:
    John B
    Boat:
    BW
    I assume it's a transom mount? Easy solution I found was to get 1/4" copper tubing (same stuff for ice makers) at home depot. Use a liberal amount of electrical tape taping the end of the transducer cable around the tubing. Try to have the copper tubing about 1/2" in front of the transducer cable so you don't mess it up, also leave the plastic cap on the copper tubing so it can't dig into your other wires. The copper tubing is strong enough, yet soft enough to push and bend through the other wires.

I spent 45 frustrating minutes attempting to pull with the string technique. Bought the tubing at home depot and it took me 5 minutes to push it through. If you were closer I'd just let you borrow the copper tubing I used since it's about $20.

Good luck.

4. cbadfisherman

cbadfisherman Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    Sinking
    Thank you for the ideas guys! I'm gonna give it another whack tomorrow.