Wiring trailers w/ surge brakes

fishgrappler

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 4, 2015
Name
Bru
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open
My trailer came with a 4 pin connector and a backup lockout actuator with a single wire - I'm assuming the PO had the mating connector tapped into his tow vehicle's reverse lights.

I'm replacing all the trailer wiring, lights, connector. My new tow vehicle has the 4 pin, and 7 pin flat hookups. To me, it makes more sense to install a 7 pin to the trailer, and not have to deal with tapping into my truck's reverse lights. Is there something I'm missing, or a different way to set this up?

Also, my new trailer lights are labeled as "waterproof". When I removed the existing lights from the trailer, they were labeled "submersible" on the back. Are they the same, or do I need to go shopping again?

Pics... because everybody likes pics:

IMG_6113.JPG
IMG_6114.JPG

clevel

Skipper
Jun 4, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Name
Cabo Jack
Boat
Cobia 261
You need tinned marine wiring if your trailer is going to be submerged in saltwater. There is a specialty marine wiring shop on the web. Sorry I forgot the name of the company. Otherwise your wires will be rusted out in a week! Don’t go to Home Depot or Harbor Freight.

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
Name
Bru
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open
Yes sir! I got 100 ft spools of 16 awg marine tinned wire, adhesive lined shrink fit butt connectors, and adhesive lined heat shrink tubing from these sites. Their layouts and products are almost identical, but the prices and shipping are different. Don't know if they are run by the same person, or competitors.

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
The lock out actuator wire was hooked up to the reverse light. If the trailer has disc bakes, you can not back it up without this lockout wire hooked up to the reverse light. If you do not have disc brakes on the trailer, then it is not needed.

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
Yes you need to go shopping again. There is a difference between waterproof and submersible. You want submersible, they're sealed and made to be dunked.

Last edited:

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I've found that both waterproof and submersible are technically neither.I got tired of problems and raised the lights up so they don't get wet.Going on 6 years now without a problem.

Reactions: tuner

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
Jan 31, 2004
San Diego
Name
Dan
Boat
1997 Trophy 2352
I bought a aluminum trailer back in jan 2011...it came with sealed LED lights...have not had a single problem yet...

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
I look at trailer lights as wear and tear items. I don't believe they make any lights that will last a super long time if dunked consistently in saltwater.

I have the same lights on my trailer and I just replaced one with the same.

There's literally two holes in the back that allow water access to the circuits. While I believe they will still work after, that would definitely cut the life shorter.

The ad is right: I didn't have any bulbs to change. I had to change the whole damn unit.

Reactions: plj46

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
Name
Bru
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open
Thanks for the replies. I'll run these lights until they go out.

Any other thoughts on running a 7 pin connector with surge brakes and reverse lockout?

Reactions: Shewillbemine

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Thanks for the replies. I'll run these lights until they go out.

Any other thoughts on running a 7 pin connector with surge brakes and reverse lockout?
I bought the cheapo Walmart LED trailer light kit for my boat trailer four years ago. I took a tube of clear silicone to any area that looked like water could intrude. They’ve been working fine since then. I do have to clean the plug about once a year.

Reactions: fishgrappler

Reel Kahuna

Mar 24, 2011
Lake Camanche, CA
Name
Seon
Boat
23.5' Navigator Duckworth F150 Yamaha
I bought take off tail lights off a Ford truck and mounted them high on my side bunks. I addition to the brakes and running lights I connected the reverse solenoid wire to the lights that activates the reverse lights. It's great backing down the ramps at "0- dark thirty".

Reactions: fishgrappler

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
Name
Bru
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open
Thanks again guys. Last question: do you guys run your ground through the trailer frame, or run wires from the harness directly to the lights?