Wiring diagram for Yamaha Command Link Tachometer Kit...

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
I recently re-powered my boat, it had a 1995 Yamaha 2 stroke and I installed a 2008 Yamaha F60TLR 4 stroke. Using the existing wire harness I plugged in everything that had a compatible plug and the motor fired right up. At this point the motor runs, but has no overheat/oil pressure alarms, hour meter or trim indicator. So I bought the command link multi function tach kit #6Y8-0E83R-81-00 http://www.simyamaha.com/Command_Link_Single_Engine_Round_Gauge_Kit_p/6y8-0e83r-81-00.htm which was recommended by the dealer I got the motor from. It did not come with a wiring diagram and as this kit works for a variety of motors, there are a lot of connections and wires that I know I don't need to use. The question is which do I use and is this going to be a plug and play install or will I need to custom connect some items? I noticed that I already have a 4 wire connection on the old harness inside the cowling that is not being used and was thinking that I should be able to use this instead of pulling more wire through an already over loaded raceway. I was also told that using the existing binnacle and ignition was not a problem and that everything should work. It looks like the new wiring will only use two wires from the engine, but as I'm unsure what does what, I'm reluctant to just start plugging shit together just because it fits. Has anyone done this before???

Upvote 0

Papa "J"

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    I have the wiring diagram for my 2 strokes if you need to see them 1997 OX66 EFI 225 hp

And I think I have the same style gauges

Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

Nov 27, 2003
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    19.655' Aluminum
    I spoke with a Marine tech from Florida and he sent me a picture of where the wires should go. I think I may be already using one of the plugs at the engine that I need to use with the new wiring and that I need to disconnect the old and replace with the new cable. I'll let you know if that doesn't work...
    CL Tach single gauge rig kit.jpg

Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
    Jun 25, 2008
    The Island
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Boatless
    You don't need the bottom left harness. On the 4 pin plug that goes into the back of the guage, there are 4 wires, a blue and white one that are data, and a red and black (or yellow and black) that are power to the guage. Those two power ones are the only two wires that need to be jumpers to the unused red and black from the ignition. This way the power to the tach comes on when the key is put in the "on" position. Not sure why it isn't just built into the harness. Other than that you just connect the four pin harness on the motor to the 4-6 pin adapter, then anothe 4-6 pin adapter to the short pigtail that goes into the tach. Not sure about the 60hp, but on the 90hp, if you want the trim sender to read on the 6Y8 guage, there are two white plugs inside the front lower cowling of the motor wrapped in yellow tape. You have to take the tape off, remove the plug ends and plug them together. It is a single wire. Then your trim sender will send the signal through the command link circuit. I have the schematic at work when I get there later today if you need more assistance.

Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

Nov 27, 2003
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    19.655' Aluminum
    Thanks Dave, it's beginning to make sense now... :D Do you know if Yamaha makes a plug adapter for the square 4 pin plug female/female? If I can find one of those I won't have to pull more wire through the electrical conduit which is already over loaded, because there is an unused square 4 pin w/ 4 wires already running between the console and motor. It connects to the old analog trim gauge which I no longer need. Thanks, Scott

Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
    Jun 25, 2008
    The Island
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Boatless
    Scott, I think I looked into that 4 pin female to female so that I didn't have to use that long useless run with the 6pin ends and I couldn't find one.

Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

Nov 27, 2003
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    19.655' Aluminum
    Scott, I think I looked into that 4 pin female to female so that I didn't have to use that long useless run with the 6pin ends and I couldn't find one.
    Thanks, I agree that the universal wiring sucks. I guess I'll just pull the wire and be done with it...

Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

Nov 27, 2003
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    19.655' Aluminum
    I have hooked everything up (above deck) and now cannot get the tachometer to function. I have been speaking to several people in the industry and they agree that everything is hooked up correctly and cannot figure out why the tach powers up, but then won't display the data from the motor. Any recommendations for a Yamaha expert here in San Diego???

Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
    Jun 25, 2008
    The Island
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Boatless
    Scott, you have the wrong wires hooked up off the pigtail. I am assuming you are getting power, but the tach is showing all dashes, instead of a "0". If this is the case let me know. I'll walk you through it.
    If you take a picture of the pigtail splice, or at least let me know which colors you splice together, that would help.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

Nov 27, 2003
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    19.655' Aluminum
    Scott, you have the wrong wires hooked up off the pigtail. I am assuming you are getting power, but the tach is showing all dashes, instead of a "0". If this is the case let me know. I'll walk you through it.
    If you take a picture of the pigtail splice, or at least let me know which colors you splice together, that would help.
    Dave, when I first turn on the key the tach briefly displays this...

tach1.jpg
    And then displays this... tach.jpg
    The display remains like this with just the key on or while the motor is running...
    Which part of the diagram that I showed in my first post do you think is wrong???

Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

Nov 27, 2003
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    19.655' Aluminum
    Dave, I lost you on the phone, but will get some pictures tomorrow. I still need to find out why the alarm doesn't work, I assume there should be an audible alarm as well as a flashing alarm on the tach. Maybe I need to upgrade the ignition switch, maybe then I'll be able to plug the new harness together at the dash without modifying the wires...

Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
    Jun 25, 2008
    The Island
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Boatless
    I think the problem is the command link system not powering up. If I get a good pic of the back of the key switch and harness between sw and tach I think I can figure it out. I am pretty sure the alarm comes through the main harness to the sw buzzer, and if the command link is energized, that will send a signal to the tach vial the digital signal (white and blue wires). The alarm should work regardless of the tach being hooked up.

Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

Nov 27, 2003
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    19.655' Aluminum
    Here's a couple of views of the switch/manual choke/dead man switch. You can see that there is no way to just plug the yellow/black power wires into the ignition as I was told to do. I ended up leaving the dead man switch plugged in as it was originally and then connected the yellow power wire to the yellow manual choke lead and used a jumper for the black ground lead to the console. I eliminated the choke switch completely and left everything else as I found it.

switch.jpg switch1.jpg switch2.jpg

Upvote 0

lskipperjr

Aug 20, 2020
    Miami
    Name
    Larry Skipper
    Boat
    2017 Key West Bay Reef 210
    Dave, when I first turn on the key the tach briefly displays this...

View attachment 769485
    And then displays this... View attachment 769486
    The display remains like this with just the key on or while the motor is running...
    Which part of the diagram that I showed in my first post do you think is wrong???
    I just saw the post. My gauge is doing the exact same thing. Can you pass on any words of wisdom?

Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

Nov 27, 2003
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    19.655' Aluminum
    I just saw the post. My gauge is doing the exact same thing. Can you pass on any words of wisdom?
    My problem was that the motor I bought was from another boat with twin engines. Once I installed the new ignition switch and changed the settings to single engine everything was plug and play and worked fine...

Upvote 0

lskipperjr

Aug 20, 2020
    Miami
    Name
    Larry Skipper
    Boat
    2017 Key West Bay Reef 210
    Thanks. My gauge and engine are original, one day the tach started giving me the same indications you showed. Still troubleshooting.

Upvote 0

Puztin

Jul 27, 2021
    Geelong
    Name
    Justin
    Boat
    Trailcraft
    Hi Gil, i've got the exact same issue as you - my outboard has also come from a twin engine setup (to a single engine on mine). When you say you had to change the settings to single engine setup, what exactly do you mean and how did you do it?

Upvote 0

Latest posts