Wiring diagram for battery, charger and switches.

Papa "J"

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat Name
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    What I have:

Twin Yamaha F250.
    Battery charger
    2 group 24 staring batteries
    2 group 27 house batteries
    1 on/off accessory switch
    2 1/2/both battery switches
    40 amp blue seas breaker going to my accessories.

I would like to see if anyone can point me in the right direction or has a proper wiring diagram as I would like to make sure everything is wired correctly because I am pretty sure something is amiss.

Something I have noticed recently is when my accessory switch is turned on my motor gauges come on as well and pretty sure they should be separate. So I would like to start by making sure everything is proper in the back of the boat and work my way forward.

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat Name
    24 ft grady white
    Accessory switch for your 12 volt components or accessory switch on ignition ? If it has one.

Upvote 0

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat Name
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    Accessory switch for your 12 volt components or accessory switch on ignition ? If it has one.

Accessory switch should be for all my components only. I want to keep my engines isolated from all else.

Upvote 0

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
    Apr 30, 2012
    Ca
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    blackman fishmachine
    Good call on engine isolation.
    I found a schematic awhile ago. And don't have it anylonger . It was from west marine. Blueseas.
    It was an in store schematic.

I have 4 battery's also . 2 eng. 2 house.
    (2) -"1, both ,2" - switches . And a house main on off switch.

In your case to power your 2 engines.

Run one ,"1, both,2" type of switch.
    Position 1 isolates your 2 starting batteries to your engines. And charge only the starting batteries, if you only have one alternator.

If you have 2 alternators, I would place one on the starting batteries, and one on the house batteries. That way you charge both banks
    All the time the engines are running.

The "Both" position of the switch would use all 4 batteries for everything- provided the accessory breaker is "on". If it is "off", then it uses all 4 batteries to start the engines. And charge all 4 batteries, with one alternator.

In position 2 the house batteries are used and not charged by the engines. Provided the accessory main is switched
    "On". As when your On anchor and
    The engines are off.

That should do it .

( side note : never switch the battery switch when the engines are running. Some mfg. alternators burn diodes when switched
    While running. Making the alternator inoperable.)

A battery charger: I run a Charles 40 amp. Wired Directly to the batteries. And only plug it in when parking the boat on the trailer.

I just saw your issue about the gauges lights coming on with the house on.-----
    start by following all your wires from the engines. You should
    See a wire going to your house batteries directly. OR, an engine wire connected to your accessory panel wires , . If that is the case , and most likely is, you should see two hot wires on one accessory device. Undo one of them to see if the gauges are on or off when powered up. OR check the battery switch and see if the engine wire is connected to the battery switch.
    If it is, turn on the batteries switch. And turn the main accessory switch off. If gauges are on the wire is connected to the battery switch or batteries.

As I mentioned I have (2) - 1, both,2 type of switches. And a main on or off to the accessory panel.
    To recall how I wired it I have to pull the covers off . .... lol. But I know it does isolate the 2 battery banks and can tie them together to either house or engine. Not isolating start batteries only. 2 hot wires to one accessory item most likely is the culprit. It sounds like that wire should go to the ignition key switch .
    Don't forget to hit the like button if this is helpful.

Calm seas and tight lines,
    Mike

Last edited:
    Reactions: Capt.C.Delany
    Upvote 0

MarMax

Almost A Member
    Dec 19, 2010
    So Cal
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Parker 2530
    Here is the Perko wiring diagram. I've got the mains for my twin F150s wired up like diagram #2. I have dual group 27's for the mains/motors and two group 24s in parallel for the house. I use the motors accessory charge leads for the house.

PerkoBatterySwitchDiagram.jpg

Here is a pic of my wiring. The switches are for the mains. The fuses left of the switches are the accessory charge leads from the motors that connect to the yellow "House" terminal. Right of the switches are the circuit breakers. Far left is the circuit breaker for the windlass. The house and mains are separate and I have a master ON/OFF switch for the house battery located elsewhere.

MarMaxBatterySwitches.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
    Apr 30, 2012
    Ca
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    blackman fishmachine
    Fresh notes in my post above
    Good to note I linked 2 batteries for one bank.
    Your gauges hot wire should go to the key switch. So you can follow it that way also to find it. Or put it on its own switch. Yeh lots of ways to wire it. ....,.:rolleyes::) I have 2x [email protected] for a fat start. JMO.
    :starwarskid5::starwarskid5:

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat Name
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    I think Bill and Mike have you about sorted out. The only thing I would add is to have total isolation, put a blue seas system ACR between your starting batteries and the house bank.

It has been a long day of boat work for me so I'm tired but my thought would be the existing Perko 1/2/both would have the starting batteries tied together. From there on the COM lug, along with running to your starters, you would also have a cable to an ACR and second switch for your house bank.

Just a thought.

Edit: the reason I am suggesting it is because I believe if you wanted to charge your house bank of batteries you would need to switch to position 2 per diagram 3 of the schematic. An ACR would allow for constant charging regardless of battery bank used to start the motor.

Reactions: bajabills
    Upvote 0