Saski

Almost A Member
Sep 19, 2013
San Ysidro CA
Name
Derek
Boat
none
I'm going down to baja, east cape specifically, and plan to do some surf fishing. I know a lot of fish down there have sharp teeth, so I'm taking some 38# single strand wire with me. I'm wondering about how to rig it since I've never used wire before. I just recently thought myself how to make a haywire twist.

I'll be using 2 set ups, one has straight braid, and the other has mono. How do I tie both of these lines to the wire?

I have some snap swivels and regular swivels, would these help? I'm mostly gonna throw krockodile spoons and don't want to kill their action too much.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Yep. Small ring or swivel on the end of the wire that attaches to the mono. If you use a Krocodile, you will need a swivel somewhere in your line. The smaller ones come with a swivel already attached.

I usually tie a four foot piece of fluoro to the spectra and then tie to the lure.

A simple haywire twist in the wire could slip. Better to tie a haywire twist and end it with a barrel twist.

Upvote 0

Grmanrocks

Almost A Member
Aug 17, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Name
Spencer
Boat
26' Navy Whaleboat
look into afw 7x7 knottable wire. ties like heavy mono and is super limp. only wire in my arsenal.
works great for me for landbased sharking or casting plugs to great barracuda/kings/spanish/anythingtoothy!

Upvote 0