Diesel II

Jun 4, 2009
Ewa Beach Hi
WWW.pseresults.com
Name
Steve Foster
Boat
Diesel III "43' pacemaker"
Had a few prople ask about my winter project boat.
It is a 1973 40' Pacemaker Sportfisher.
A little history of the boat. It was owned be Keehi Marine. They reglassed the entire boat. The reason they stopped and sold the boat?? It was then sold twice with no work done.
I purchased the boat and am in the process of gathering all of the parts to get it going. I have 2 Detroit 471's (Just rebuilt)..
I should have it on the water running in January sometime..

Attachments

CMonster01

Jan 13, 2008
Honolulu
Name
Clifford
Boat
Big enough to float without it
That's a huge project. I remember those engines... can be very smoky. Boat looks clean and lean though. Good luck.

dausualinc

Nov 25, 2008
Honolulu
Name
Kekoa
Boat
30' Knife
There is also a reason Detroits have been around so long...because they work. I'd love to have a brand new common rail diesel in my boat but for now its the old 165 Volvo. Keep us updated on the project! Keep the pics coming

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
thanks for the update Steve. Like Kekoa said, be sure to keep us posted. Our boat has a pair of DD 671 TIs. Still going strong after 28 years. They can be a little smoky, and loud...BUT THEY STILL WORK. sure beats $80K plus....for a repower.

kapnd

Jul 22, 2007
haleiwa Hawaii
Name
don
Boat
ss minnow
I looked at that boat a couple of years ago, man it was BARE bones!
You took on a big project, but at least you will know everything about everything on your boat. I read an article somewhere about silencing those DD beasts, has to do with the size and length of the exhaust tubing to scrub off some resonation. Will try to locate that and send you a link.

Mo

#1 OG, part time Secret Moderator
Apr 10, 2007
east of the west coast...
Name
Mo
Boat
20ft Thunderjet,Hobie 12ft Pro Angler,Boat Ho on KA
I like the lines on that boat. Keep us updated with pics please.
In the water by Jan 2010...?
How much work needs to be done to be fishable?

Diesel II

Jun 4, 2009
Ewa Beach Hi
WWW.pseresults.com
Name
Steve Foster
Boat
Diesel III "43' pacemaker"
I guess I am a diesel Mech now.. I went to the Diesel in a day class and do alot of bathroom reading. I was a Jet mechanic for 7 years. That helps.

The only thing that is in the boat is the SS fuel tanks/Exhausts and basic wall structure. This is the 3rd boat I have overhauled.
A Whaller
A Glacier Bay, All of the systems had to be modified of replaced with the exception of the engines.
Now the Pacemaker.....

Here is my last years project...... It is paying for the boat parts.

Attachments

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
Engine rev sounds just like ours at the start up -- only thing missing the engine alarm bell ringing in the morning! What horsepower are those engines?

jonesd055

Feb 20, 2006
Hawaii Kai
Name
Jonesy
Boat
20', Calais, Shilelagh Law
Steve, thanks for the video-that Detroit Diesel sounds great. It's cool that your taking something American made and recycling it-in your garage! Hope you keep updating this thread with more photos and videos.

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
71s do the job - and set up right they don't smoke or consume oil - they are completely rebuildable, i.e. resleevable cylinders - I have 871s, twin turbo'd supercharged (wide open 24 knots, 1k rpm at trolling - SWEET engines)...they also raise fish...and unlike modern electronic engines get you home 99.9% of the time...just make sure you have some extra delo 100 on board just in case cause they do love their oil...

tight lines,