MattFred1414

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
Summer halibut was one of my favorite things to do this year. I want to try and figure out the winter fishery here. Any tips tricks or general areas that I should try on Sunday?

Thinking about trying near the Coronado bridge which I’ve never tried before. In front of the sub base and doing some deep drifts off the kelp from 200-90ft of water dragging 16oz of lead. Report to follow. Haven’t taken the boat out in a month since I was preparing for my five day.

Here’s a pic of my biggest halibut this year. Just north of 40”. Maybe 41 or 42” the tapes on my boat only go to 36”. The two smaller ones were 25” and 23”.

7D585B5C-AA3B-4158-B169-7BD8F06DDC3B.jpeg

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Sand near structure.

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
Thank for pointing me to this, I was hoping to target Halibut soon

No problem. It's been an abysmal year out of Dana for them. As noted in the article, some years it's great up here, some years not so much.

They were around in the 80' range in October but after that first huge blow in November they just vaporized. I think Dana Wharf has 3 legals for the entire month.

Sdchronix

Kook Style
Jul 26, 2018
San diego
Name
Anthony C.
Boat
Hooked Up Boat Club - Parker 2320
We will be out there Sunday as well. Bridge is a normal spot for us as well as a few others.
Typically what we spend the winter doing.

Reactions: MattFred1414

Lubina

Jun 7, 2007
SD
Name
RA
Boat
None
Fished imperial beach today for the first time. First drop I hooked a trout sized wsb on the stinger, it went south from there. No current, very dead.

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Good intel, thanks! I am switching gears to fish Halibut and need to refine things. My friends stayed out all night fishing WSB for nada a few years ago, but stuck around in the early AM and switched gears to Halibut, with impressive results below! All fatties, other guys fishing right next to them got none! It can be done....
034.JPG
034.JPG intel, thanks! Switching gears to Halibut and need to refine.

Bhoff

Aug 3, 2018
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
Robalo
Well done 👌 coronado bridge produces too. I have some spots inshore as well, pm me we can buddy boat it

MattFred1414

Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
Well done 👌 coronado bridge produces too. I have some spots inshore as well, pm me we can buddy boat it
We had one bite at Coronado. I think it was slow all over. How deep do you fish? 30ft?

MattFred1414

Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
Good intel, thanks! I am switching gears to fish Halibut and need to refine things. My friends stayed out all night fishing WSB for nada a few years ago, but stuck around in the early AM and switched gears to Halibut, with impressive results below! All fatties, other guys fishing right next to them got none! It can be done....View attachment 1231566View attachment 1231566 intel, thanks! Switching gears to Halibut and need to refine.
That’s a good day!