Winter Cow Grounds

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Name
KB
Boat Name
Outer Limits
So I’m sure this has been covered…but to review. On the winter and early spring cow trips is the HB the only destination at this point. Does the fleet still fish just outside Clarion or go to the LBs. Any other options for jumbo YFT? Clipperton and PV are too far for 15/16 day trips, at least if you want to actually have time to fish.

Upvote 0

northernchad

• Apr 2, 2020
    Billings MT
    Name
    Chad
    Boat Name
    Audrey
    So I’m sure this has been covered…but to review. On the winter and early spring cow trips is the HB the only destination at this point. Does the fleet still fish just outside Clarion or go to the LBs. Any other options for jumbo YFT? Clipperton and PV are too far for 15/16 day trips, at least if you want to actually have time to fish.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat Name
    Outer Limits
    Already going. I was just curious to see what options may be out there. Have fished Clarion, Socorro, San Benidicto and Roca Partida in the past. Have also been to Tres Maria’s on the NTNC. Never been to the HB though. Seeing the super cows at the LBs also had me thinking…

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica from San Diego
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    Yamaha FX SHO
    The Super Banks could be in the cards for January trips. Settle the JP :D has definitely occurred there in January for long trips

Looks like the Star is going to be a BFT big fish machine next year. 1 less boat down at HB

Vagabond recently returned from a 11 day and found a heard of Cows and a Super

img-20221207-3d8abe13.jpg

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat Name
    Outer Limits
    Ok, call me stupid…”super banks”? Do you mean the lower banks where they have been catching the super cows of late? Is there another bank? I have been dreaming of a new bank filled with super’s;)

• Haha
    Reactions: Steve K
    Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    sunk it
    I was on a 20 day and we spent the whole trip at HB, seemed like the only viable option. 12 days, by ourselves for the first 9. It wasn’t bad at all, that place is constantly changing from day to day. Super sharky one day, zero sharks the next. We had an epic night bite on jigs, full speed on fish from 180-240,every one got 3 or 4. A couple really good days of wahoo fishing on the anchor (no one wanted to troll). One of my favorite trips getting to see how things changed with the conditions

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat Name
    Outer Limits
    Well, it’s not like I know better or have a say. Just trying to get educated on what the options are on the winter 16 day trips. But it sounds like HB or bust. Doesn’t seem like anyone is fishing the buffer zone of Clarion or elsewhere.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    Yamaha FX SHO
    Ok, call me stupid…”super banks”? Do you mean the lower banks where they have been catching the super cows of late? Is there another bank? I have been dreaming of a new bank filled with super’s;)

Coined the lower banks as the super banks. Seems more fitting

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    Yamaha FX SHO
    I was on a 20 day and we spent the whole trip at HB, seemed like the only viable option. 12 days, by ourselves for the first 9. It wasn’t bad at all, that place is constantly changing from day to day. Super sharky one day, zero sharks the next. We had an epic night bite on jigs, full speed on fish from 180-240,every one got 3 or 4. A couple really good days of wahoo fishing on the anchor (no one wanted to troll). One of my favorite trips getting to see how things changed with the conditions

The 18 day trips give a shot at 2 big fish cycles on the bank. Those big fish spend approximately 75% of their time off the edge of the bank deep feeding

Yesterday beach fishing. Big school of tropical sardines pushed against the beach on the south side of a river mouth. The boyz landed snook, corvina, pargo, jack crevalle, and queenfish jacks.

Same small surf with similar conditions today with tide difference of 45 minutes. The sardines didn't show up on the south side of the river mouth this morning. They showed up 1 kilometer north side

This morning. Was a human mind reset with no biters. Held my ground thinking the sardines would show on the south side of the river mouth but they never did today. Probably tomorrow :D

It's where fishing takes you

IMG_20221209_095212.jpg

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Well, it’s not like I know better or have a say. Just trying to get educated on what the options are on the winter 16 day trips. But it sounds like HB or bust. Doesn’t seem like anyone is fishing the buffer zone of Clarion or elsewhere.
    Seriously, I don’t know why “fishing the buffer zone of Clarion” is discussed at all. A little research will tell you what happened and how it happened. But briefly 2016-17 the entire archipelago was converted into a marine preserve and Mexico created a national park. It is closed to all fishing, all we have are memories.

And tell us how it is you’ve never been to Hurricane Bank…

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat Name
    Outer Limits
    The 18 day trips give a shot at 2 big fish cycles on the bank. Those big fish spend approximately 75% of their time off the edge of the bank deep feeding

Yesterday beach fishing. Big school of tropical sardines pushed against the beach on the south side of a river mouth. The boyz landed snook, corvina, pargo, jack crevalle, and queenfish jacks.

Same small surf with similar conditions today with tide difference of 45 minutes. The sardines didn't show up on the south side of the river mouth this morning. They showed up 1 kilometer north side

This morning. Was a human mind reset with no biters. Held my ground thinking the sardines would show on the south side of the river mouth but they never did today. Probably tomorrow :D

It's where fishing takes you

View attachment 1447474
    Nice pic. Where is that?
    Seriously, I don’t know why “fishing the buffer zone of Clarion” is discussed at all. A little research will tell you what happened and how it happened. But briefly 2016-17 the entire archipelago was converted into a marine preserve and Mexico created a national park. It is closed to all fishing, all we have are memories.

I fished the islands back in the early 2000’s on the Q105 before it was closed. Never went to the HB though.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Got it, Doc. Copy that

Upvote 0

Once Over

Jul 26, 2018
    Lodi
    Name
    Jeff Haley
    Boat Name
    Boston Whaler
    Got it, Doc. Copy that

Gotcha!

Last edited:
    • Angry
    Reactions: Steve K and Warlord
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name