el Toro

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
My family loves to camp and we usually do the beach or mountains. Both are too cold right now. We also aren't really desert people in that we don't ride motorcycles or buggies, and personally, I find the noise obnoxious. I like peaceful camping. Any other suggestions that are family friendly for a weekend getaway?

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
There's great camping at all of the local lakes. Sweetwater, Lake Dixon, Lake Jennings, Lake Morena. There is also some damn good trout fishing this time of year.

Reactions: bparker1225

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa/San Carlos
Name
Dan
Boat
19ft aluminum
Santee lakes really is an awesome campground especially for kids. I beach camp in the summer and hit Santee lakes in the winter. still gets cold but it has full hookups which helps

Marcus

"Oddjob"
May 21, 2004
Carlsbad
Name
Marcus
Boat
Tuna Jihad toilet cleaner/Intrepid
Jewel Valley, Blair Valley, Joshua Tree. All are epic spots this time of year.

Reactions: Bigpondonly

landman

watch your lips
May 26, 2008
San Diego
Name
Vic
Boat
g3
Went to Walters Camp off the Colorado river for Thanksgiving had a lot fun. hunting (Quail) and fishing (Flatheads -32#, 28# and 5 other under 15# )at your door step. Amenities where not the greatest and most of the camp spots are dry. It does have a mini store w/ bar but it will be cold there too. We had a blast

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
My vote is Jennings! High up on the hillside so you can it's very scenic, decent fishing for multiple species, bird watching & they have a resident Bald Eagle family which is a sight to see....
Kids playground, lots of hiking trails...

Reactions: Bottom Line

AtomicSD

Jan 6, 2017
San Diego
Name
Mark Geelan
Boat
14' Aluminum
A great out of the way desert spot is Agua Caliente, hot springs, SD county campground so no atv's dirtbikes etc, and they have tent, rv and cabin spots.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
My family loves to camp and we usually do the beach or mountains. Both are too cold right now. We also aren't really desert people in that we don't ride motorcycles or buggies, and personally, I find the noise obnoxious. I like peaceful camping. Any other suggestions that are family friendly for a weekend getaway?
Crystal Cove camp ground if you can in if its
Cool, its still Refreshing and the View is Priceless.

Reactions: UnBelievable

masonjazz

Apr 2, 2012
santee
Name
david
Boat
21eliminator
Nate, I go to Yuma Arizona to Martinez lake or to fishers landing all year long.. its a great family place you can shoot guns and the fishing is great.. there's two stores and two restaurants I eat at Fisher landing restaurant because food is way better.. you can rent camp or bring your trailer or rent a place for the weekend.. look it up..

Reactions: repo805

Cy Bodden

Been there done that
Oct 15, 2013
Escondido, CA
Name
Cy
Boat
Parker 2120
Just camped at anza borrego springs with the cub scouts. Was my first time and the sites are really clean, quiet, and fire pits. Was cool hiking to the oasis and looking for big horn sheep.

Reactions: eDUBz

Mar 12, 2014
San Diego
Name
Blake
Boat
25' Skipjack FB
Lots of campgrounds in Shelter Valley (part of Borrego State Park). It's dry camping and no ground fires allowed. You can use a metal fire stand like you see at Home Depot or pickup an old washing machine tub off CL.
Be sure to check out the Borrego mud caves.

http://www.desertusa.com/anza_borrego/Mud_Caves.html

pjp

Mar 8, 2011
san pedro ca
Name
paul
Boat
lucky devil 28 skipjack
Give Red Rock Canyon a try not a big off roading area ,
great camp sights, killer hiking , mountain biking , stars at night!

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
The “Winter Camping” thread title caught my eye. No help here as you said you don’t like cold. I’ve been blizzard camping for decades. With quality gear, it really is a hoot. Love it!

Earlier this year in the Sierras.

FFC90CA5-5DA7-45C9-8FB5-900D543600CB.jpeg

Last edited:

BornFisher

Jun 17, 2003
Encinitas (Olivenhain)
Visit site
Name
Bill Fisher
Boat
18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
70 degrees at the beach is too cold? Yesterday at 6:45 AM I was sitting by the ocean with a cup of coffee and it was perfect. And Beautiful.
Maybe San Felipe way?

Reactions: repo805

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat
Ranger Z20
Lake Skinner, in Temecula. Great facilities, good lake for fishing, lots of room to hike, and close to the wineries for a day excursion.

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"

Lundalakan

Sep 29, 2016
Socal, Poway
Name
Lou
Boat
Lund alaskan
I second Joshua Tree. If your a little more self sufficient, carry water, the boulders north of the campground make cool spots. Go mid week though, it’s pretty popular with climbers

alexalex

Dec 13, 2017
Uk
Name
Alex
Boat
Boyar
I personally enjoy winter camping. I use a similar set up as you with a wall tent and a nice wood stove for those cold winter nights. Another form of winter camping I've participated in is snow caving. A group of us went out and found some large snow drifts out in the backcountry and dug down and into the snow drifts. Usually find interesting helpful tips on camping sites. Here is the link https://travelsites.com/camping/ . Maybe you find it useful too

Qinarycrt

Oct 21, 2018
New York
Name
Jammie
Boat
Suzuki
Camping is an unusual solution for recreation, but, however, has its many admirers. At sea or in the mountains - camping is an exciting adventure that allows you to enjoy a large part of your outdoor vacation. Of course, staying in a tent is not for everyone’s taste, and not even for everyone.

But this year I will not get to camp campsites, I will save my garden and pets at the same time from poison https/grass-killer.com/dogs-off-grass-after-using-weed-killers/

Last edited by a moderator: