Offshore Windy Offshore 8-6-22 & Golden Mix

kurtisw

Almost A Member
  • Aug 1, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Kurtis
    Boat Name
    13ft Trident Yak, Bandito II - (22ft Cuddy Cabin "Bandito" SOLD)
    Caught them again. This time a golden mix of species. YT, Dodo, BFT & YFT

Short:

- Windy n Rough fishing, 45 miles from Point Loma
    - Weather, warm overcast and beat-up white caps majority of day.
    - Yellowfin and Bluefin made a show for day biting! Nice Surprise to land 17 of them.
    - Windy.com said 12-18knots Friday Night, Saturday and Sunday. It was rough mixed swells, not a day for private boats.
    - Worked just West 371
    - Depart 8-5, Fished Sat 8-6
    - Yellowtail, Dorado, Bluefin, Yellowfin
    - 26 guys, 53 YT, 30 Dodo, 12 Bluefin, 5 Yellowfin
    - T-bird at Point Loma, Overnight
    - The fleet was spread out.
    - Paddies were not easy to see in the windy conditions. The crew did well and found the one that produced.

My Brother got First, Most and I got Biggest. Yeah, we keep score and always bet. FBM (First, Biggest, Most).

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Long:

Last minute booking for Friday night departure. Almost canceled after seeing the Windy.com info. Keep the booking since it was the only time I could fish with my Brother.

Yellowtail/Dorado kelping was the idea. The weather looked like it was going to blow. Western Outdoor news postponed their tournament last weekend, pushing it out a month to avoid the wind that landed on us.

We pushed off on time, got bait and headed nowhere. 10+ Boats all tied up at the bait barge, and even the long-range 100+ ft boats were hanging out in the bay to avoid the wind. The boat pushed off sometime after midnight and headed SW, with 40-45 miles being the zone.

The boat had info on an area. First kelp of the morning was a single Dodo and we quickly started looking again.

Troller went off and my bother landed a nice 25LB Bluefin, on cedar plug. This was a pleasant surprise and we caught a few more on bait.

After that died we looked for the right paddy and found it. Yellowtail and Dorado in a fast blast then it slowed down. We drifted off the paddy Fast, and a while later we got some Yellowfin and Bluefin to show. These were almost exclusively bait fish.

What worked. Bait. Bait. Bait. 30-40LB and J hook. 1/0 - 2/0 hooks. Floro leader not required, so I skipped it until the Tuna showed. Then I added it back since they are a bit more shy VS eat anything YT. Flyline, surface, fresh baits. I count to 45-60, new bait, repeat.

I landed 2 of 2 hookups and did good, since they were two larger grade fish. For some reason I couldn't land the smaller rat yellowtails or dodos. I mixed up the line sizes, cast past most people, and no go. My guess, they were hooking them for a deeper swim and I was nose hooked on the surface more? Not sure.

The Yellowfin I landed was 29LB on the processor scale.

My brother landed a Bluefin, several Yellowtail and Dorodo. He was exclusive on bait.

Lures worked for some. My yellowtail was on scrambled egg. Most stops and resets I fished the lures for the first 5min. Salas 6x, yes. Colt Snipers didn't work so much. After last trip I picked up a classic scrambled egg, Salas 6x and 6x JR. The jig landed a better grade YT, maybe 13lb VS the 6-8lb smaller grade.

I did notice the Yellowtail grade size dropped this trip. It could be the paddy we had, but they were half the size of a few weeks ago.

What didn't work. Big jigs, flat falls deep, just didn't connect. Deep fish 75-150 showed on the electronics but didn't want to be landed by lures. One guy hooked and lost a deep fish.

Fish Processing.
    5 Star and Fishermans Processing were not accepting fish. They didn't answer the phones either, so I wasted time driving to both to be turned away.
    Mario's processing by Seaforth accepted 80lbs of fish and had them ready next morning.

Some rats in the mix and a few larger models, but overall they are good.

The Bluefin were 20 to 70ish lbs. Most were 25-35 with a few standouts, with one guy getting worked on 30lb test to land the JP 70 lb ish fish. Pushing near 30lbs for Yellowfin was a very nice grade and I hope those models start filling in and keep moving up the line.

First time on the T-bird, solid crew. The boat is pretty tight for 26 people, at 60ftx20. Several people were sick and not evening fishing. This boat would fish 18-20 better. Bunk room was hotter than most. We fished til the end and plowed through the waves. For a boat this size it handled well.

Overall numbers of fleet were hit n miss but still solid. A few boats wished they scored as well as us.

Tight Lines20220806_153931_09(1).jpg

20220805_185440_01.jpg
    20220805_185440_06.jpg
    20220805_192643(1).jpg
    20220806_121605_11.jpg
    20220806_153608.jpg
    20220806_153713.jpg
    20220806_154038.jpg

Choppy Ride Home
    waves-gif.gif

Last edited: