Locomoke

Dec 31, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
Name
Kevin
Boat
185 Edgewater "Malia B"
5/22

Sorry for the late post. I've been lurking on this forum for awhile and I figured it was time for my first post. Took my recently retired sister Sharon and her husband Domingo out for a half day run out of Heeia. Launched at 9:30 am, ran the 40 FA and within 45 minutes had a double strike and a couple of ono in the boat. Ran out to the 1000 FA, had a big strike on the 130, took half the spool and came unbuttoned. Finished the day with the two ono and a couple of aku.

2015-05-22 17.33.47.jpg

5/26

Decided to try for more ono and took my sister Sharon again (her husband still works....). Launched out of Heeia at 6:30 am. No love on the 40 FA so we turned out to run out to the 1000 FA where we missed the big hit on Friday. At 9:30 am, crossing the 500 FA, a big donkey hits the center 130, jumps, goes deep and takes 3/4 spool. Cleared lines and settled in for long fight. Fight lasted 4-1/2 hours. Leadered her, sank the flying gaff and towed her back to Heeia. Using the Kona Blue Marlin calculator she came out 405 lbs. We were lucky, because we put so much pressure on the fish the stainless hook almost went straighten out! I'm surprised it didn't snap. Special thanks to Loren & Brian Chang of the Paris C for the help at the dock and getting the marlin ready for smoking. They will be out fishing again soon! Mahalo to my sister Sharon. She is one tough little wahine! Not bad for two old futs.

Tight lines.....Kevin

2015-05-26 11.53.49.jpg
2015-05-26 16.08.56.jpg
2015-05-26 16.10.58.jpg
2015-05-26 17.49.14.jpg

Upvote 0

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Kevin and Sharon, congratulations on two successful days of fishing!that is a good size donkey....lots of smoked Marlin for sure!

Upvote 0

changboy

Nov 9, 2009
Honolulu
Name
Brian
Boat
"PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
Kevin, good going on a very nice fish that was ment to be, Kaneohe smoker is working his magic call you when it's ready!

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Scott, Sharon and Domingo (one day),
Good couple of days of fishin' for sure, you are right, lucky you didn't loose that fish. I have a couple hooks like that but no fish were attached after the straightening.

Cheers
Pat

Upvote 0

Locomoke

Dec 31, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
Name
Kevin
Boat
185 Edgewater "Malia B"
Scott, Sharon and Domingo (one day),
Good couple of days of fishin' for sure, you are right, lucky you didn't loose that fish. I have a couple hooks like that but no fish were attached after the straightening.

Cheers
Pat
Thank you Pat! I'm keeping the opened hook as a souvenir. Lots of memories for sure.

Kevin

Upvote 0

rsokolowski

Almost A Member
Jun 26, 2009
Wahiawa/Hawaii/USA
Name
Roy Sokolowski
Boat
currently boatless
Its a shame you killed that fish
Why is it a shame? It is a fish, it will be eaten and enjoyed. I have released marlin and I have taken marlin for the table. As my wife says why do you go fishing and then release the fish? If you personally don't want to kill a marling don't kill a marlin, but you shouldn't post on a fishing website named "Bloody Decks" that it is a shame to go fishing (and eat what you catch).

Upvote 0

Locomoke

Dec 31, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
Name
Kevin
Boat
185 Edgewater "Malia B"
Why is it a shame? It is a fish, it will be eaten and enjoyed. I have released marlin and I have taken marlin for the table. As my wife says why do you go fishing and then release the fish? If you personally don't want to kill a marling don't kill a marlin, but you shouldn't post on a fishing website named "Bloody Decks" that it is a shame to go fishing (and eat what you catch).
Roy, personally, I do not want to feed the trolls so I choose to ignore them.
BTW, the marlin fought so long and hard that when I grabbed leader and pulled him to the boat, he turned belly up and died.
Way to go on the onos and the marlin. Thanks for posting.
Thanks Roy. Hopefully I'll have more to post in the future!

Kevin

Reactions: Dropper Loop
Upvote 0