Wind On's

bullyo

Aug 5, 2005
San Marcos
Name
Anthony
Boat
None
Have a trip to the Lupe coming up on the Big X and am new to the wind on game. I am in need of everything from 60 lb on up. Besides Basils, is there any site you suggest or a shop local to SD to pick them up en masse? I am not loyal to a fluorocarbon type so could use a little help there as well!

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Have a trip to the Lupe coming up on the Big X and am new to the wind on game. I am in need of everything from 60 lb on up. Besides Basils, is there any site you suggest or a shop local to SD to pick them up en masse? I am not loyal to a fluorocarbon type so could use a little help there as well!
Check out Aftco.com , I have a friend
That bought a lot of them,
For his 10 day that he is on now.

Reactions: bullyo
Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
The Fisherman's Landing tackle shop has a full selection of Basil's topshots / wind-on leaders.

I would be very, VERY careful about using some off-brand, no-name tackle shop wind-on. Basil, and Ken Corwin topshots are known & solid reputation. I made the mistake of using a packaged wind-on, from a "well known" tackle shop, that failed on me. As in.....hooked a BIG bluefin, and 15 seconds later....slack line. The mono insert just slipped right out of the hollow core sleeve. All I brought up was the left-over hollow core, holding it like a limp dick.

That was the last time I EVER trusted anything other than (1) my own home built topshots, or (2) Basil's topshots. (3) honorable mention to Ken Corwin topshots (recommended by some top SD captains)

RideHPD
RideHPD
I was going to say the same for Fisherman's, call them to check stock but they usually have a good spread of BHP wind ons
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    Blueactiontackle.com doug makes good stuff

Reactions: bayfisher86
    Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    I have been to Guadalupe a bunch of times in the last 6 years and I haven't seen very many people use wind-on leaders there. Most people just tie on a fluro leader using an RP or FG knot. I always bring a few Basil 80lb Blackwater wind-ons just in case but I have never used one there. Often times the fish are a little line shy and you have to drop down to 40lb to get bit. It is easier to just have spools of 40, 50 and 60 pound fluro and just tie on what ever length leader you want. Sometimes short leaders like 6 or 8 feet work fine. Other times the longer leaders like 16 or 18 feet work better.
    We use the Seaguar Kureha 130 fluro from Japan in addition to the regular Seaguar blue label and Premier. It comes in 130 meter spools and the price is way less than what you pay for the 25 yard spools of Seaguar that you get here. Mostly we use the #10, 12, 14 and 16 sizes. They work out to 35lb, 42lb, 49lb and 63lb.
    I have an 8 day trip that leaves in 4 days. It was supposed to be a Guadalupe trip but they just announced that the fishing has been slow at Guadalupe and we will be heading to the ridge or Alijos rocks. If you do go to Guadalupe hopefully you will have a good trip.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother....its Okay to buy some....and I can't say enough about BASIL'S quality.... and the fact he will use "your Brand" of flouro... if he has it... make him my go guy... to in the day. Till I learned how to do it myself with consistancy.

Now.... if your gonna LR fish.... more than a trip or 2.... you should start.... learning to make your own. You should see a few guys doing it in the galley while on your trip. THATS YOUR CHANCE TO WATCH..."LIVE" AND LEARN. Worth the effort Brother. Your confidence will increase exponentially when you have a few nice fish... on your own wind ons. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Good discussion here

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    I'd get basil wind on leaders, in my opinion there the best! I've used them at Guadalupe to great effect . They never fail, you can get the 25 or 50 foot floro leaders, and on my longer trips I use the 100-130 # leaders I've used on big tuna, and trim them down and use them for wahoo on jigs and bombs. And as already stated, fisherman's landing sells them. Me personally, I buy them directly from Basil. Much cheaper because of the port taxes in San Diego. Plus he has quite a few different floracarbon brands to choose from. Check BHP's website out.

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    cool discussion. what I remember about Lupe is the fish average 60# and are line shy. Bait needs to get away from the boat.

My 2 hollow outfits, soon be be 3 have BHP windons. I do like tying my own. I think the $2000 you spend on the trip is worth the Basil windon.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    One last thought Brothers.... whether you buy PRE MADE .... or make your own... FRESH is Important. If ALL other things are equal... the last "weak link" is .... how old is it?

.....a let's see.... I need to finish up this 130# (bought last season)... gonna make 3 or 4... (use only 2).... next thing you know.... Your success depends on... a 4 year old wind on.

.....(laughing) I swear I have NEVER heard anyone say.... AFTER "popping" THAT Big Fish off.... "DAMN .... I MADE THAT WIND-ON MYSELF!!" Be safe brothers.

Reactions: kimbo
    Upvote 0

stephen campbell

aka "Soup"
    Jul 7, 2016
    oro valley az
    Name
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    Fresh?
    I just pulled a couple of my home made windons from 2005.
    Gently bounced 85# on a momoi 120# mono, wet, no creep, no slip.
    I gently bounced 105# on a momoi X 220# ,wet, no creep, no slip

No real surprise to me I serve them with almost that much tension on the bare insertion. No needles, just the famous folded wire for the loupe.

No sense pulling to failure, put them in the "for very sharkie trips" file.

I'm new but any new connection, knot, crimp, serve, I make, I test. No cows yet but between Msz B and I a half dozen 150# + No failures.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 SL
    Curious why people do wind-on then do a loop to loop(cat's paw) connection and not just serve the mono or fluoro directly into the hollow braid ?

Reactions: terryc.
    W
    woodfish330
    Confidence.... ease of use... if you only have a limited number of heavy outfits. Break off.... It's "Batter Up".. right now.!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

stephen campbell

aka "Soup"
    Jul 7, 2016
    oro valley az
    Name
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    Msz B and I have 3 weeks till we board for a 16 day, so I have time to bore you with more of "the way I do It" ahahahaha
    I think we can agree that for a windon to hold the braid must not be allowed to loose the finger trap on the mono. How to do it is the bug in the butter. By "hold" for me means at least 50% of the real test of the mono. More is better right- If one tries a test, a 3' insertion will usually meet this test with no serve, crimp glue or whatever with a slow steady undisturbed pull. So how to keep the end of the braid in place-
    So to explain the physics of why "my way" and the way of some notable others works. Just now I loaded a piece of new momoi .057"dia 210# X (toughest shit around) with 100#. Dia went down to .053" and returned to .057 immediately upon release. If a very tight non stretchable serve is applied with the line at .053 when the line returns to .057 the serve aint going to slip! If that same serve is applied at .057 when the line is loaded to .053, well--

The crimp kits do work, with the problem of over or under crimp is there.

I know not what methods others may choose but give me a real pressure serve or give me the physics of what others choose.

W
    woodfish330
    Trial and error Brother.... at least your thinking and testing explores what works for you.... and why.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0