wind on leader and fluorocarbon questions

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by ninjastar, Aug 30, 2018.

1. ninjastar

ninjastar Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    N/A
    1-How many days have you guys used wind on leaders with or without having a big fight on them(mono or fluorocarbon)?

1A-If 1 is a no, does using saltway or freshwater rise make it okay??

2-Do you guys change top shots/fluorocarbon leaders after every trip??

3-Does iincreasing the mono/fluorocarbon legnth within the hollow core increase brake failure or chances of comming undone if the serve is broken?

4-Does liquor/beer affect fluorocarbon/mono??

locvetter likes this.
  2. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    4...sounds like it's affected something...

3. ninjastar

ninjastar Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    N/A
    hahahahaha

locvetter, Grumpiest1 and freegaff2 like this.
  4. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
  5. Grumpiest1

Grumpiest1 Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Ocean Oddity
    How long does the fluoro or braid sit on the shelf before it's sold? Has anyone found an expiration or a use by date on any line?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    locvetter likes this.
  6. DonVincenzo

DonVincenzo Newbie

Name:
    vince
    Boat:
    haha
    the answer is always # 4

7. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    1. 1
    2. no
    3. no
    4. ? never done it, don't know

8. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler
    Before I leave on a trip heading South I. Ike to marinate my top shots in tequila or Pacifico. I think the fish swimming in Mexican waters gravitate to those flavors. When I fish local I use Coors Light

9. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    4. if it works and costs less than Uni-butter...different strokes for different folks.

locvetter likes this.
  10. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    1-How many days have you guys used wind on leaders with or without having a big fight on them(mono or fluorocarbon)? I replace after every tough fish or if there was some other possible damage. Usually I cut off 6' of fluoro after every fish and use it until they get too short or milky-looking. I also like to start the day with a fresh leader if it looks worn-out by the end of the day.

1A-If 1 is a no, does using saltaway or freshwater rise make it okay?? No, it does not help. Freshwater rinsing is helpful to get salt off your line and reel, but I do not like using salt-removal chemicals on my line or reels. I use loop to loop leaders so I can reuse them if they caught no fish. I take it off the reel and rinse them in freshwater on the boat and soak them overnight in freshwater when I get home. Works for hooks too!

2-Do you guys change top shots/fluorocarbon leaders after every trip?? Yes! Rinse your reels thoroughly in freshwater, but do not leave fluorocarbon or mono lines over spectra on your reels after a trip. The plastic lines block moisture evaporating from your spectra and assists corrosion of your spool! If the spool is metal...

3-Does increasing the mono/fluorocarbon length within the hollow core increase break failure or chances of coming undone if the serve is broken? Probably not. We usually test insertion length to see if longer insertion are stronger and less prone to slipping. Once insertion length is beyond 18" it probably does not make a huge difference with a served connection. Going too long does make the spectra over fluoro section move through the water strangely causing more drag on the bait (once the fluoro has acquired a spool curl).

4-Does liquor/beer affect fluorocarbon/mono?? Hah, it does if you are drinking it! Just like fishing, when it comes to the effects of alcohol...the situation is everything. :rolleyes:

- Jeff Burroughs

11. ninjastar

ninjastar Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    N/A
    Well with number 4, what had happen was I had a couple bottles that happend to open and spilled all over all of my fluorocarbon. xP

locvetter, kayakbeast33 and Haly0 like this.
  12. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Thanks Jeff for a really great, comprehensive answer. I was totally incapable of answering 1-3 as I went straight to #4 to do some testing of that theory, and you can guess the rest.

13. Normslanding

Normslanding I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    WOW, best posts I've seen in a long time.

locvetter likes this.
  14. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Fluorocarbon polymers are used in the most harsh conditions. Seals in machinery with high wear components, caustic compounds, fuels or solvents being present. Depending on the application the fluorocarbon can be produced to withstand a wide range of temperatures.

I have been told by a product manager of one of the largest mono/fluoro manufacturers that fluorocarbon fishing line has a very long shelf life. Sunlight, fluorescent light and swings in temperature have little effect on the line.

Monofilament is quite the opposite. Sunlight, temperature and fluorescent light all have negative effects on the shelf life of the product.

I reuse my leaders often. Catching multiple fish on them many times including cows.

15. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Thanks John... Spot on. If fluorocarbon needs anything a good stretch can get the kinks out. A good fish can do that, or you can use the trolling straps on the boat. Never could understand the catch a big fish and throw the leader away thing.

16. richardblufin

richardblufin Member

Name:
    Richard Jones
    Boat:
    Bigger is Better Thats what she said
    Like Hank Williams says "If it will it will if it don't it won't.

locvetter likes this.
  17. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Just be sure after catching a fish, you always check line for chaffing and cut it off and retie the hook. Once the leader has been cut and becomes 6' or less, time for a new leader.

18. tunachris

tunachris Member

Name:
    Chris Lomax
    Boat:
    none
    I have fished heavy flouro leaders until there was only 3-4 feet of leader past the serve. Total length maybe 6-8’, no issues. I don’t change leaders at all, until they are too short to fish. Flouro is a lot tougher than mono, and sinks better, as well as being more abrasion resistant. As long as not exposed to extreme heat, flouro will last for a long time.

locvetter, Yellowtail Dan and Bill W like this.
  19. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I have never been known to be thrifty when it comes to giant yellowfin tuna fishing......when cow fishing after every fish I always retie..... if the fight was long or there were tangles close to the boat or possible rubbing on the hull or anchor rope I change the leader.... if I catch a fish over 150# I change my leader.....I like having a fresh leader and knot out there just in case the next fish is the "one".....totally JMO......

20. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Well i go the other way for other reasons and a little to do with thrift, although thrift is a big plus. You are throwing away a proven tool. Since I do not change my leader and the leader works fine, fish after fish, guess I am an example of proof.

locvetter likes this.