Will you put a new boat in dry storage ?

Aghori

Jul 2, 2021
California
Name
Uday Prabhala
Boat
Stabicraft
Planning on buying a new aluminum fishing boats with all bells and whistles , costing around 100k , will you trailer it 100 miles or use new port marina dry storage and use their launch service ??
I was told people often mess with your boats in dry storage .

bajachild

Almost A Member
  • Jul 13, 2005
    so. cal
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    2019 Montauk 170
    Newport Dunes has great service. Dry storage seems well protected. But then you’re limited to Newport. That’ll get boring fast. Question: why aluminum? For 100k there’s, in my opinion, superior boats. They seem like an Oregon style boat. That’s all I see when I’m there.

A
    Aghori
    i was looking at Stabicraft 2250, any recommendation for southern california type boats?
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

bajachild

Almost A Member
  • Jul 13, 2005
    so. cal
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    2019 Montauk 170
    If you’re into cabin boats, I’m not the guy. I was just curious about aluminum vs fiberglass. I grew up on and have a whaler, so I’m a little biased. I like center consoles. I watched the manufacturer’s video. It’s a snappy boat.

Reactions: Aghori
    Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 19, 2006
    Irvine
    Name
    Mike_I
    Boat
    Cabo 216 First Love
    You have to weight your options. It depends on where you live and where you fish. The 4 mile run to open water at Newport sucks and people have posted that their boats have gotten ripped off at the dunes storage.

A
    Aghori
    i live 90 miles away from the nearest coast.. it sucks there is no secure place to store :(
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    If you like to chase fish up and down the coast then dry is just fine. I got tired of trailering, launching and storage, Depending how many days a year you fish will decide dry or wet IMO.

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    Disclaimer- I’m a trailer guy, and and much prefer the freedom and mobility a trailer offers. I literally trailer thousands of miles a year. In fact, I’ve trailered 2000 miles one way just to fish new places.
    My opinion is always trailer, unless you live very close and exclusively fish just one port.
    I’ve owned both aluminum and glass boats my entire life. Both work well, they just behave differently. My own preference for blue water use is glass, but if you’re not into boat maintenance, aluminum will look far better for far longer. An aluminum hull also stands up to rough use much better long term.
    The Stabi 2250 is a seriously capable blue water boat and one of the best performing aluminum hulls built. If I was to switch from glass to aluminum, Stabicraft would be my only choice. There’re very good reasons they’re so popular in NZ and Australia.

Upvote 0

Rimack

Old School
  • Jun 24, 2011
    Elk Grove
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    WORKING ON IT.
    Newport Dunes has great service. Dry storage seems well protected. But then you’re limited to Newport. That’ll get boring fast. Question: why aluminum? For 100k there’s, in my opinion, superior boats. They seem like an Oregon style boat. That’s all I see when I’m there.
    LMAO.

Upvote 0
    May 13, 2004
    Long Beach and points due west
    Name
    Bob Ballew
    Boat
    2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
    Some issues are present with dry storage..hours they are available when you may be in late or want an early start ; a detailed written contract as far as service provided vs reality (don't ask them to launch your boat on time prior to your arrival, and expect liability, when you forgot to put the drain plug back in...) Yes, it has occurred with flooding as a result.....security as mentioned, etc....it comes down to trade offs for trailering vs. slips vs.dry storage...I like the trailer mobility approach so I can work on my boat at home, take it to repair shops and go to the current hot spots along the coast...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0