Taiko

Mar 20, 2015
Rosemead
Name
Taiko
Boat
1801 parker
Hey guys,

Im having trouble pairing my rods to the correct reel. i am currently running a Phenix PSW 808MH with a Torium 16 (left hand). I also have another rod which is a Daiwa preteus PRTB80MF WITHOUT a reel. I am thinking about a Avet sx (left hand) for the Daiwa rod but before i purchase the Avet, would it make sense to go that route, or put the Torium on the Daiwa rod and get a different reel for the Phenix 808MH? I am left handed so my selection on reels are very limited. Ive never used the Avet Sx before but being left handed, i thought maybe it wiould be my only choice for that size reel. Thanks for any info guys!

Last edited:

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
Apr 7, 2004
San Diego North County
Name
Jim
Boat
Chelsea Rae
two completely different rods but based on what you are saying I would leave the torium on the phenix and put the avet on the daiwa rod

lever drag vs star drag....thats two different worlds
10-25 pound rod vs a 15-40 pound rod
both reels will fish either rod so it comes down to feel and balance and what you intend to fish for

Reactions: Olddog8 and skotz

Taiko

Mar 20, 2015
Rosemead
Name
Taiko
Boat
1801 parker
Thanks for the reply guys, the rods would be used for local fish at Catalina. Nothing big but would like it to hand the occasional 20lb yellow.

James Braunwalder

Well-Known "Member"
May 11, 2017
Corona, CA
Name
James
Boat
Oh Sail Can you Sea
I agree with Jim. Buying an avet doesn't make sense. You, in a sense, want to keep drag style the same (doesn't mean you have to). your torium has a stronger drag then the avet you want to get, so it makes sense to put it on the rod that can handle an unsuspected heavy/strong fish. I would look into getting a different reel then going with the avet.

lazyfisherman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 28, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Bobby
Boat
Cattle Boats
I agree with Jim. Buying an avet doesn't make sense. You, in a sense, want to keep drag style the same (doesn't mean you have to). your torium has a stronger drag then the avet you want to get, so it makes sense to put it on the rod that can handle an unsuspected heavy/strong fish. I would look into getting a different reel then going with the avet.
Makes perfect sense if he wants to get a reel to fish 15-20 lb line on the Daiwa rod. Unfortunately, the market for left hand reels is limited and especially for the smaller reels. You can fish the Avet for 15-20lb line, but I would recommend one of the 400-450 size low profile reels instead. You're planning on fishing Catalina, where a lot of the fishing isn't done for 20 lb class yellowtail. If those yellowtails are around, your Torium and Phenix combo should handle them. Get a light weight setups for fishing smaller bait for bass and all the other inshore species. I never fish Catalina or Clemente without a bass setup.

Taiko

Mar 20, 2015
Rosemead
Name
Taiko
Boat
1801 parker
I was considering low pro reel but the rod doesn't have a trigger. Not saying you can't fish it but wouldn't be as comfortable especially if I plan to cast it often. I think I would like the Daiwa rod to be a live bait rod. I have my hevier black diamond with a Jx raptor but it's overkill for anything under 40lbs.

So considering now I would like it to be a light live bait rod, would the lefty SX work? Really appreciate all the feedback guy!

James Braunwalder

Well-Known "Member"
May 11, 2017
Corona, CA
Name
James
Boat
Oh Sail Can you Sea
I sort of get the vibe that you have your heart set on the avet sx. I personally feel that it will work. I also personally I would do an SXJ for casting live bait fish

Caseman

Aug 21, 2016
Texas
Name
Caseman
Boat
yes
Ocea jigger 1501 or saltiga 15HL. Same capacity of about 280/40lb braid and about 17lbs drag. Not sure if the new saltiga star drags in 10,15 sizes have spool lock like my jigger, but it takes a little getting used to casting...but may be an option.