Will Shimano ever make a replacement reel for the Trinidad 40N?

Discussion in 'Shimano Fishing Gear' started by Fishstiks, Sep 19, 2015.

1. lilrick

lilrick Member

Name:
    Lilrick
    Boat:
    whaler
    BRING BACK THE 40N!!!!

2. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    I fish a lot of Wahoo. I throw a lot of bombs for them. I own 2 of the Trinidad 40N's and loved them until I discovered the Penn Fathom 40N 2 speed for throwing bombs. Plenty of speed for throwing the bombs and then when they go straight under the boat at the end of the fight, drop it in low and grind them up. It also doubles as a great yoyo reel. Drop it down , get bit, drop it in low with the palm of your hand without even removing your hand from the handle and grind them up. It is a sweet reel!

3. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    ^^^^ I agree, the Penn 40NLD2 is the perfect replacement if Shimano won't fill your demand. More versatility and drag to boot. I'm not knocking Shimano by saying that either. Sometimes we got to go to a different manufacturer to get what we want for a niche

4. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    That boat!
    I guess ill chime in on here
    I too want the 40N but like me and the others who want is so small of a market that it when looked at as a whole the demand to make it is soooo small
    So for now just fish the old school 40N
    Or find an alternate reel

5. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    When the 40n was made, small lightweight two speeds didn't exist. If they did the 40N, conversion kits for 4/0s, 533s, eventually the 113N would probably not ever seen the light of day. Wahoo jigs, bombs and yoyo jigs are all heavy enough that there isn't much benefit to using a star drag with them, but there is a benefit to the low gear. We are living at a time when awesome reels at ridiculous costs are available, and many of them would easily replace a 40N. I'd be more happy if Shimano made a lower cost 2 speed reel like most other manufacturers have, and If they expanded the torium HG line to smaller reels before they even spend any effort on a 40Na

6. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    ....only if (for wahoo) you have popeye arms. :D

Sorry, John.....gotta disagree with ya on this one. I borrowed one for our 8 day wahoo trip last year (thank you Chad). While the retrieve rate gets you bit alot, when you do, it's pretty tough to straight crank a big wahoo to the boat (because of the steep gear ratio). You'll eventually have to lift and wind......and we all know what happens if that is not done correctly. (luckily, I did it right, didn't lose a fish).

I went ahead and bought one though, cause I love the reel......but won't use it for wahoo. Might try the PG model for the skinnies.

nmthree and jiggyn like this.
  7. NVLTY

NVLTY CHEF JONES

Name:
    Chef Jones
    Boat:
    Montauk
    What is the max# drag of Trinidad 40TN ?
    Does it differ from the 40 narrow??

8. Awsum

Awsum Newbie

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    17ft Boston Whaler Montauk
    I know that this is shimano forum but why don't you guys consider the Daiwa saltiga 40ha or 50ha? Don't hate it's just a thought.

9. nmthree

nmthree Nick M- So Cal

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    None

Look into Maxel or Avet HXJ. Newer reels with plenty of power. Jigging Master is a good option too