Will she handle the rough stuff?

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by purplesofthead, Jun 16, 2012.

1. purplesofthead

purplesofthead Newbie

Name:
    Trent
    Boat:
    ani's ahí
    Aloha,

Hi everyone, first post on BD, so ALOHA to everyone!

I am thinking about buying a striper 1851 "18.5"" center console striper.... My question is will this boat be ok to fish out deep and hit any rough water? I primarily am looking for a boat to hit some buoys, troll and drag some opelu... But want to make sure the striper 1851 can handle being out in hawaiian waters...

I am a captain and have run boats in Hawaiian waters for 8 years.... just not this small, mostly a 31 bertram....

Any insight? Mahalos and tight lines!

2. bertram31

bertram31 Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    Polaris Supreme
    Oh man I dont think I would want that boat out there. I had a 31 Bertram and also a 48 foot Egg Harbor on Oahu and I couldnt imagine spending much time in a 18 foot center console. Thats just me though.

Jack

3. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    if you pick your days, have an epirb & handheld, you might be OK fishing the fads on the 500 on the West Side - on the other hand, for the same price or a little more, I would go w/ a different setup - a buddy of mine has a model year 2000 17' arima sea chaser (cuddy cabin), w/twin Honda 30s - I have been offshore on it and it can really handle - he is thinking about selling it, including the trailer, for about $11k - pm me if interested and I can forward your contact info to him

the arimas, as a few on this board can attest to, are very well made and can handle the water - friend of mine had the same sea chaser model and used to go 50 miles off shore from Oregon (not sure if I'd do that, but he is still around to tell stories about it!)

tight lines,

4. rba4dive

rba4dive Land Lubber

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    No Mas
    Not sure about the inboards...but a friend had an outboard equipped Striper and the slope design of the stern had a tendency to not to handle other boat wakes well when drift fishng. Come close to dunking the engine at times.

5. LundieF

LundieF Member

Name:
    Lundie
    Boat:
    20' Shamrock WA, Maka 'oi 'oi II
    Rough stuff in an 18' center console? Wear a mask and snorkel. If you don't mind getting pounded in the face with salt water all day long, go for it.

6. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    I have a 17' Striper CC, and it is good for what it can do. I have been out to the pinnacle (on nice days) and have encountered some rough days with when the wind picks up. It is not a wet boat, like coming in with your t-shirt full of salt, you do get wet when going head on into 15-20 mph winds and 3-4' swells. For the buoys, no problem. Just have to be more cautious when choosing your days.

7. East Side

East Side Certified Masterb8er

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    23' Custom, Caroline II
    Seriously?
    If you have 8 years experience in a 31' bertram you know whats going on. Right?

Where will you be fishing?
    If you say Waianae i'd say you'd be fine.

Kaneohe/Haleiwa...get out your grundens & rain coat. :fighting0061:

8. Kauaihunter

Kauaihunter Newbie

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Moana Kai 15' Whaler
    If you like the boat and get a good deal, buy it. It'll do just fine if you watch the weather and learn what she can handle. We run three small boats here, two 16's and one 17' all the time. Soon to be a 15 instead of a 17 since I sold my Montauk and bought a 15 Super Sport.

One of the 16's is a Dauntless and it replaced an 18' Seaswirl in 2004 that had a custom cab on it. I never fished on that one but my buddy co-owned it with his brother as a first boat. He never complained about it being a piece of crap. The only story that keeps coming up is when they got caught in some rough seas one day heading back to the harbor and did some pearl diving on the way in. He said it was like having goggles on when a swell would come over the bow and up the windshield. Only Blue! They fried their electronics, tossed the cb and depth recorder in the trash but it brought them back to the harbor. That was 15 years or more ago, the boat is still intact and fishing. Another friend bought it.

9. hb1111

hb1111 Newbie

Name:
    skipper
    Boat:
    wanna be
    31 to a 18 c.c. i dont think your going to be happy....definitely go on a sea trial dont buy based on other peoples opinions...its you that needs to be comfortable on it and it sucks fishing something that you dont like!!!! SEA TRIAL

10. purplesofthead

purplesofthead Newbie

Name:
    Trent
    Boat:
    ani's ahí
    Thanks for all the help and insight.

I am going to keep looking.... Not really wanting to take a salt bath if the weather picks up....HAHA

Mahalos to all who responded!

Tight Lines!!

11. J_B

J_B Captain

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    21' Lightnin' Whaler "Moana B."
    Boats under 20' can handle when set up right. But if you want to fish in conditions over 25 knots need a bigger heavier boat. Radons are the preferred boat on Kauai.

Hard to get a small boat if your used to a 31'B.

12. tyra-jae

tyra-jae Newbie

Name:
    Richard/Russell
    Boat:
    30' Surratt
    Just my $.02 but the way i look at it is if your truck can tow it and you have a consistent crew, get the biggest trailered boat you can afford. I've been fishing Kaneohe all my life and really appreciate a bigger boat.