I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 18, 2011
kent,wa
www.jamiesseptic.com
Name
jamie
Boat
nwj 218 lightning
One of these years Ill do it. Boat almost always seems to be out of the water this time of year. These guys are available all winter right? Will be back in the water early October.

Reactions: FishPimpII

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
One of these years Ill do it. Boat almost always seems to be out of the water this time of year. These guys are available all winter right? Will be back in the water early October.
It seems to peak around October/November and then it dies off in January usually for us

Reactions: jonnyboy852

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 28.5
It's a lot more fun and less hectic doing it in the daytime on your own boat, rather than crowding on a pier at night with a bunch of folks, crossing lines..

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
It's a lot more fun and less hectic doing it in the daytime on your own boat, rather than crowding on a pier at night with a bunch of folks, crossing lines..
I always figured night was better with some illumination?? Is that not the case? I've got my boat moored right now. So I can just use a squid jig at noon, and it's just as good as night? Thanks for any info, as I've only tried it at night.

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
I always figured night was better with some illumination?? Is that not the case? I've got my boat moored right now. So I can just use a squid jig at noon, and it's just as good as night? Thanks for any info, as I've only tried it at night.
"So I can just use a squid jig at noon, and it's just as good as night?"

yep - it's just a matter of finding a spot that consistently holds squid (there are a few in my area, downtown seattle), or motoring around until you find a school.

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Yeah. You have about 3 hours around high tide (or low tide). Basically, slowly troll around until you find a big school. Mark it on your finder. Then just drop your rig. And try to stay with the school. You can pick up a lot of squid in a hurry. I'm usually around Alki but I think anywhere in about 100 ft of water will be good.

Reactions: EJ Swanny

kenzmad

Jan 18, 2011
kent,wa
www.jamiesseptic.com
Name
jamie
Boat
nwj 218 lightning
School? Of squid look like shrimp on the sonar? Cloudy like a bait ball?

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Hard to describe. On my fish finder, they look like the same size as salmon - but just tons of them all squeezed together, and all up and down the water column. I heard on other fish finders they resemble herring. In any case, if you see a big bunch of "something" in 50-100 ft of water from now through December, it's probably squid. It's not cloudy or "solid" like a bait ball. You can make out individual lines.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
School? Of squid look like shrimp on the sonar? Cloudy like a bait ball?
They look like squid. Dicks with tentacles, and a beak. Duh.

• Haha
Reactions: KaiChung

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
We got into some yesterday. We searched for them on the Fish-Finder, never really saw any. Came up on a boat that I could tell was squid fishing, and he "claimed" he caught 5-6. So, WTF, we decided to motor a bit away from him and gave it a shot. Nothing on the screen. We jigged for a few minutes, then got 1, then 2, then 3. All the sudden we were engulfed in squid. We were not looking for alot, so we boated about 35 in about 30 minutes.

Funny, we were squidding in the same area my Dad used to fish for Cut's 50-60 years ago. When I told him where we got'em he said they always hit his cut gear. He used to fish cut's in 6-10' of water. I'm surprised they were that shallow.

We also tried our luck at coon-stripes, we got jack-shit as usual. They have to be around, just can't zero in on them. Any tips??????

Be safe guys.....

Squid Rod.jpg

Reactions: Mr. Doodles

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
I tried the other day in Port Madison area, but there were so many porpoises around i pulled up and left. Bait balls were are scatter shot. —. May tried again soon on the evening high.

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
C8FBEC7F-09E9-4AF4-AD0D-22DE720940AB.jpeg

Is this what they look like on the finder? Lol.

I ran across a few balls like this off Edmonds in the last week. I should keep a squid jig on hand and get a bit of calamari next time.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
If any of you go squidding and have extra...... a nice 12” squid dangled from the kit rig down in Mexico is great giant tuna bait.....

If you are willing to part with some... They can be frozen and defrosted to be used as whole bait... I am heading down next week we already bought some.... we can also jog it up when available down there (of course fresh is always better)...... anyhow, if you can help me out send me a message.... you can freeze and send them overnight mail....