Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Wi-Fi has a week signal at best on the Excel-Indy and the Red Rooster. If your lucky you might be able to check some E-mails... try downloading a picture it will take you 3 days....

Reactions: RichG
hucklongfin
hucklongfin
On the Excel, sending a text is fine, including a pic, not so much! WiFi downstairs isn’t good, in the galley it’s ok. I even got calls when sitting in the galley.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

808dc

Dec 4, 2015
Washington DC
Name
james
Boat
none
I assume you're asking because of work (otherwise, like everyone else said, just enjoy the down time). Work requires me to be on-call all of the time so I can never fully get away from my screen. Wifi is pretty much useless to work off of on any of the boats, so I rely on sat phones to talk with clients or dictate emails to my team. If I'm not fishing the Intrepid (the free sat phone is fantastic), I just rent a sat phone (lots of reasonable options in SD that will hand deliver or mail to you).

Reactions: RichG
Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Most of the boats have wifi now, but it's generally a very weak and intermittent connection. Go fishing and forget the real world.
For some of us.... being out on a LR boat for a week or 10 days is as real as it gets!

Reactions: wahoononi
Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    Can't you live without it while you fish?
    NO some people can't like a drug addict, got to have that phone in their hand 24/7. had a coworker tell the boss "excuse me I'm texting" while he was supposed to be working. used to watch the guy trying to work one handed he just could not put it down.

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    NO some people can't like a drug addict, got to have that phone in their hand 24/7. had a coworker tell the boss "excuse me I'm texting" while he was supposed to be working. used to watch the guy trying to work one handed he just could not put it down.
    Had s boss !ike that. Meetings that should have only lasted 45 minutes to a hour would drag out to 2 hours because he had to answer every call that came in. Worst part is he would schedule the meetings a hour before quitting time.

Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

Tom1966

Oct 8, 2021
    California
    Name
    Tom Mix
    Boat
    Pleasure
    Can't you live without it while you fish?
    Thank you all for your responses, I don't need it either, I was just curious. I don't even use a cell phone more than 10 or 12 times a year, I live out in the boondocks where we don't even have cell service. I have to use a landline and if I give someone my cell number it is because I don't want to hear from them............

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    had a coworker tell the boss "excuse me I'm texting" while he was supposed to be working.
    Unless you are leaving out an important part of the story, like they guy was texting a client to close an order, or it was after hours and the guy was off the clock, etc., that would be a big problem for me. One that would call for a performance improvement plan, with termination the next step if improvement isn't immediate. With that attitude, the worker may not even get past the first performance improvement meeting -- the one where the need for change is understood and embraced, without qualification. Even in this economy because a bad attitude like that quickly infects other workers whose sense of responsibility is still in tact.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    After setting up for vacation leave (out of office until? please use the extensions blah blah) Was always a relief. To turn the phone off before boarding and not turn back on until. Back on land

But times have changed and need to be avalible

I only have a few apps. One is (Whatsapp) download whatsapp. And automatically everyone in your regular phone list. Who also have whatsapp. Will transfer into your whatsapp contacts

Then with internet connection. Whatsapp is free for regular calls, messaging, face call, ect, 100% free anywhere in the world.

Reactions: Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

marlindog

Jan 15, 2016
    Bay Area
    Name
    David
    Boat
    None
    Most long range boats have WiFi, searcher is one of the few who does not. Wifi is pretty spotty on those that have it. Gets clogged pretty easy. Best way to access is in middle do the night when no one else is using on the boat.

Upvote 0