Why you don’t cross a bar in a flats boat

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Wild Bill, Oct 30, 2017.

1. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Your life raft of standard hydrostatic release may not have popped. They do not open until submerged 10’. They don’t just go off from being wet... ya know, rain, wind, waves and things like that would set them off, so they require pressure with water. So maybe it goes off, and maybe your close enough to swim against the bar conditions to get it.

I was like you and rarely ever wore one until one fine day..... I always thought I would have a little more time to grab one, but I learned in seconds you can go from being a happy fisherman to being upside down in the cabin of a submerged boat 30 miles offshore..... I bought 6 inflatables and they are now standard equipment.

2. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    Agree from dock its on.....shit happens too fast......

3. Chtucker

Chtucker Lowe boat denter

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
    I would add -kids get theirs on in parking lot. They get distracted, I am focused on getting to the boat. They don’t mind if they do it every time. I can’t wrap my head around trying to find them in murky water at the dock

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  4. Salmonater

Salmonater Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jeff Norwood
    Boat:
    31' North River Walkaround, Salmonater
    Hydrostatic release doesn’t go off until it’s 3 meters under. It’s next to useless on most small boats.

WaveDancer and Titan like this.
  5. Salmon King

Salmon King I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    Yep, my PFDs are on the boat, but the kid's PFDs are in the car. Based on how they stumble around it is only a matter of time before they trip off the end of the dock.

FVSerenity likes this.
  6. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    I wont mention any names but ive seen adults stumble into the drink.......

pacificscout, Titan and FVSerenity like this.
  7. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    I don’t use a hydrostatic release, thanks for sharing

8. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    Good thing I don’t use a hydrostatic realease!

I have a manual release and a 10lb breakaway release. the release just releases it from the boat, it doesn’t inflate it. The liferaft itself is a Viking rescyou pro 6 person offshore. It inflates when it reaches the end of the 30’ painter line that is permanently attached to the boat, if you are not in the mood to wait for the liferaft case to float 30’ from the boat you can go pull it out the rest of the way. There is a line knife in the liferaft to cut away the boat should you need to. It’s still on you to get yourself into the liferaft.

And I’m not saying this dude should have had a liferaft, just that mine would have deployed and popped if this happened to me.

It sounds like there is a story in there in the second half of your post?
    :)

9. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    And you're that confident (read as semi arrogant) that you're gonna make it to the raft in rough/cold conditions? Good for you. Sure hope you don't drown and your family spends 8 days wondering if your out there floating around alive or not. But, I understand that some think that wearing an inflatable PFD is too cumbersome. My dad was that dumb too. Now he's dead and we suffer for it.

Titan and pacificscout like this.
  10. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    Yeah, I know, I should but I just don’t, unless it isn’t sunny and flat, but I generally don’t go out if it isn’t sunny and somewhat flatish. There is no good argument for not wearing an inflatable. If you can honestly say that you wear one every trip then good for you but I have to say that if you go to you tube and look at Westport albacore fishing most of them are not wearing life vests either. Right or wrong, it is what it is... just being honest

I also have an Inreach so my family will know exactly where I’m at and what’s going on. If I’m still alive that is. They will at least know where I was last seen as it transmits my position every 10 min 7x24.

11. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    Sorry to hear about your dad

12. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Hydrostatic works the same way, the rafts don’t deploy until a safe distance to eliminate deflation by hanging up on the boat. The painter is permanently attached to the vessel, it can be manually deployed, and there is a knife as well as other supplies in the raft.

In an ideal situation you would be taking on water, and have time to get life vests, manually deploy raft with painter line, pull it back to the vessel and then safely climb from your vessel into the raft. Sometimes there is not sufficient time when it happens fast like this guy and like my experience. 10lb release, or not if this would have happened to you being disoriented, rolled over and in the trough and trying to wait for your raft to pop up, or finding your painter line and self deploying may be more of a fantasy than a reality.

I hope you never experience it! Most never do, so the odds are in your favor.

FVSerenity likes this.
  13. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    All true

14. Chtucker

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    Hydrostatic vest inflate at less than 3-4” of water, just want to differentiate that from the life rafts.

I think that the EPIRB hydrostatic releases take 4-14’ (water temp dependent) according to ACR

Knowing those numbers will help guide your decisions.

I personally have hydrostatic vests, valise life raft, non-hydrostatic EPIRB that I plan on buying the hydro bracket for and cycling in a new hard mount EPIRB with a 10 year battery.

FVSerenity likes this.
  15. Salmonater

Salmonater Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jeff Norwood
    Boat:
    31' North River Walkaround, Salmonater
    Trying to learn something here, how does the release work, and what does it look like? The viking maual release cannister rafts that I have had only had a manual release lever.

16. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    Our chosen hobby can be dangerous. We all know and accept the risks. But, if you sink, ain't nothing telling USCG where to look for your body. Without your body, there is long suffering for your family and loved ones. I don't harp on us wearing PFDs for or own protection. I harp on every one of us because of the tremendous agony that occurs wondering if a loved one is still alive, suffering, just about to drown, etc. would be way better to have USCG recover a floating body 5 hours later than two days or more later, or never.

And I don't even like all of these assholes LOL

And yeah, we wear from dock to dock. I had a trip of fishing reps aboard this year and they asked about not wearing for pictures. I said fuck no. Wearing in pictures shows other macho asshats that it actually is cool to wear a PFD while fishing :). Didn't matter though. Nobody takes photos when they get skunked. :hali_parkutuli:

17. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    I have seen pangueros take the bar out of San Quintin in bigger waves at the same period. I feel bad for that nice skiff. Looks like it was in the wrong hands.

FVSerenity likes this.
  18. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    Yeah, I made my own mounting bracket from SS tubing and fittings from west marine, and my release. I take it off when I’m fishing the sound, loosten the set screws and slide the bars around to fit my shrimp pots and crab pots. It sits on my roof in between the bars so the hold down only has to keep it from hoping the bars. It’s just some bungees hooked to the bar on one side then a loop of 5lb mono that goes around the bar on the other side. Pull the. Cord and you break the mono, or if the hard case tries very hard it will break the mono. Then it’s just sitting there waiting to either fall off or be thrown off. The hydrostatic release seemed like severe over kill, I mean a line cutter on this little thing? So I save myself a few hundred bucks. Oh and the painter line is bolted to the bars that are screwed to the roof.

Tada!

19. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    Cool!

The auto inflate life vests I use generally have this little biscuit that dissolves in water super fast that releases a spring loaded mechanism to puncture the gas tube.

20. Chtucker

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    The tablet ones are good too. They potentially could misfire with a splash, high humidity or age. The tablets are cheaper to rearm as well.