Why Use Level Wind Reels w/Line Counters?

Scuba Chris

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat Name
    Christina Ann
    Unboxing The Cold Water CW-453D Star Drag Reel From Okuma!

The Cold Water series is truly one of the gems of Okuma. I just received 2 of these reels for trolling the shorelines for Jacks to Tunas & Wahoo. Before in the 70's i used Level Winds to strategically place my lures using the engine's white wash to hide the presence of the main line to the fish while cruising down to my dive spots.

I plan on doing this again on my friend's dive boat this year. Okuma's Cold Water Reels has the max drag to high line capacity storage on the larger units to accomplish my goals. Just got to spool both reels and finish my lures. I'm concentrating on shoreline applications & then jigging the buoys. This is a good synopsis of this reels capabilities and useful features.

Cold Water CW-453D by Okuma
    Bearings- 2BB & 1RB
    Gear Ratio- 4.2/1
    Line Retrieve- 26"
    Max Drag- 20lb
    Weight- 21.8oz
    Retrieve- Right
    Line Capacity- 580/20(0.42), 430/25(0.48), 330/30(0.55)

Cold Water Pic.jpg

Upvote 0

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak
    I lost a big fish the last time I used a level winder, it was someone else's I borrowed and the braided line went snap right at the level wind rectangle very soon after the jig strike :(

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 25, 2017
    Monterey
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat Name
    18 Sfringari
    There is a place for level wind reels with line counters. That place seems to be here in Monterey. They are all over the place.

Upvote 0

ripped

• Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    Vagabond
    Because of safety issues, long ago manufacturers went to a synthetic pawl gear to prevent an anglers finger from being crushed ( or worse) between the pawl and frame if it unfortunately gets in the way. Under a heavy load that pawl gear is designed to fail. Levelwinds have there place, offshore maybe not.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat Name
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    FYI: The idler gear--typically located in the left side plate -- is plastic; the pawl--in the one guide and running over the worm gear -- is metal.

Upvote 0

ripped

• Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    Vagabond
    You are correct AK, that’s the gear I was referring to. I used the wrong terminology. Thanks for the correction.

Upvote 0