Start Me Up Sportfishing

Ill take it

May 7, 2007
Hawaii
Name
primo
Boat
21ft force
Got a question for all you tuna hunters. Me and my good friend was discussing why tuna hang with porpoise and we came to a conclusion to ask da boyz on bloddy decks what they think.:fighting0061:

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
tuna find the food........

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
Porpoise use sonar to locate bait schools. Tuna follow porpoise to make finding a meal easier.

Upvote 0

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
Tuna eat dolphin poop.

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
last time I asked them, this is what they told me.

"we are lazy. we know that the porpoise need to eat alot more than us, they are warm blooded, ya know. So, when we see the porpoise, we know that if we can keep up with them, they will show us the way to a meal. The porpoise crowd the bait from above, we slam 'um from below."

maybe I am having flashbacks from high school.......who knows.........

:D

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
Interestingly enough, tuna will also follow whales...

Upvote 0

grander007

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
same way that Iwa (aka Frigate) birds are known to track big(ger) fish and not just $hit-small bait like alot of other birds - they have been doing it for a long time and it works more than it doesn't...I agree w/the opinions above re following the smarter, higher-skilled hunters to the food...

tight lines,

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
Tuna also follow the scallop trawlers on the east coast because, wait for it... they eat trawler poop too...LOL.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    Dolphin Sonar reaches far, far farther than any fish sense. It is far more sensitive than Tuna lateral lines, vision or sense of smell. They can detect bait schools from many miles away. Whales as well find schools of bait with sound and the tuna follow them too.

The Dolfinas find the bait (and as above, must find more meals than fish to survive due to their higher rates of metabolism) and the Tuna know that where they are, that's the likeliest spot to find a meal.

Upvote 0

BigJack

Aug 20, 2008
    Austin Tx
    Name
    jack
    Boat
    24' fiber form
    I have learned since being in florida that you can tell what kind of fish a frigit bird is following by looking at the way the bird is acting.

Upvote 0

Fred Archer

Big Game's the Name
    May 16, 2004
    Laguna Niguel/Cabo
    Name
    Captain Fred Archer
    Boat
    36 Custom (Cabo)
    I'm with JohnD, Grander, Ali, and Mikeytalkswithdolphins...the dolphins are far more intelligent and possess far superior bait sensing and locating abilities than the tunas, so the tunas follow them for that reason.

I've looked in at a helluva lot of tuna stomach contents, but have never found a dolphin turd in one? 'Course, I gotta admit, I don't know what a tuna turd looks like, so ya never know!

Reb and Rubberhook are right too, the tunas do follow whales. Reason being, they feed on the very same "whale food" as the big guys...red crabs, shrimp, immature squid, octopi, cuttlefish, small fin bait.

According to a lot of the research I've done on stuff like this, this dolphin/tuna relationship thing is primarily found in various areas of the Pacific and not so much elsewhere.

As we used to say down in Mexico, "Coachies y atun estan hermanos del mar".

Upvote 0

Kole Kai

Jun 24, 2007
    Hawaii
    Name
    Allen
    Boat
    24' Pacific Custom Boats Yellowfin, Kole Kai
    So.....If I poop off my swim step?....This won't be much of a stretch, I'm usually full of sh!t.:frehya2:

Upvote 0

grander007

May 10, 2007
    Honolulu
    Name
    zzzz
    Boat
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    yeah come to think of it, many a time after giving the old marine head a workout, press flush, hear the macerator whirrrrrr....and then ... whamoooo, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz fish on....

tight lines,

Upvote 0

Hockey

May 12, 2009
    honolulu
    Name
    steve
    Boat
    23' Seacraft
    Is it possible that they work together? The porpoise find the food and the Tuna help chase it to the surface. Then the porpoise chase the tuna away after we show up to pick a couple off. They have an interest in protecting their resource. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Akemi

Sep 22, 2009
    honolulu
    Name
    derek
    Boat
    26 saltwater,30 knife
    Yup,allen that is secret to catching tuna's!!!!so next time I see you in the porpoise pile you better hang your ass off the swimstep and wait for the 4 banger!!!works better after a hard night of drinking

Upvote 0