Steve Francis

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
Their population is considerably older that the U.S. and that is part of it. The numbers I saw were the U.S. has about 2.8 hospital beds , Italy just over three and Korea? 15! (all per capita).
I saw an interesting contrast on the news a week or two ago. They interviewed a number of Italians and most said all the human to human contact was in their nature (all that hugging and kissing stuff) and they would continue doing so. In Korea most interviewed said they understood and practiced social distancing and wore masks. Certainly many more important factors between the those countries influencing the course of the outbreak but it was an interesting comparison.
Having lived in Italy I soon found out they were great people to live among, but extremely difficult to work with. They did not like following rules. They would rather argue and discuss a task, instead of just accomplishing it. Waiting in line was almost nonexistent. They would think nothing of screwing over their neighbors in the morning, then hug and kiss them in the afternoon. Once you realized you had to expect this type of behavior it became bearable. After all, we did spend 4 years there. My wife had our first child there. That gave us a good look at their medical system. Gift shop at the hospital was great. Just a few of the expected cards and flowers, the rest of the shop was entirely wine.

Huntersmoon

Jan 8, 2006
here
Name
nombre
Boat
no
More fake news. The fact is every point made is mute based on the fact EVERY person is visiting the grocery stores, target, hardware etc. “Necessity” does not negate the exposure factor as extremely high. Closing the boat launch ramps accomplish nothing in regard to the virus. There is a uniformed officer guarding every ramp, they can decide if one or two people is acceptable, and let them pass.

Reactions: fishnfool909

SEA SEVEN

Feb 2, 2006
San Diego
Name
None
Boat
None
On a positive note ... Utah Jazz players Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert are 100% virus free. After testing positive, they both fully recovered. They both showed ZERO symptoms not even a runny nose. Both were also home quarantined with family members, they wore masks and did not infect anyone living with them. Even if you show ZERO symptoms, you are highly contagious. But odds are in your favor to recover.

SRJ225

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 4, 2010
USA
Name
Shane
Short update. My friend the ICU nurse and his wife got tested yesterday. Both in their 30's. She's having problems breathing. His father is sick too but not as bad as the wife. Neither is he for that matter. Should have results today. He said he treated a positive patient and 2 days later he started with a sore throat. Not much of a coincidence IMO.

MEF_66

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 22, 2014
Name
Matt
Boat
Ranger 2510
Short update. My friend the ICU nurse and his wife got tested yesterday. Both in their 30's. She's having problems breathing. His father is sick too but not as bad as the wife. Neither is he for that matter. Should have results today. He said he treated a positive patient and 2 days later he started with a sore throat. Not much of a coincidence IMO.
2 days to show symptoms is well below the CDC average of 5.1 days. Secondly, that is 2 days from when her husband treated the patient which further distances the incubation time for contamination to showing signs of the virus. More than likely already had the virus.

1toughfish

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 11, 2013
San Francisco/Los Angeles
Name
Young
Boat
none
crunch the numbers , chicken little, and come to your senses. if it's as bad as the corrupt msm has portrayed it ,{and brainwashed you into a panic}..... 1% of the u.s. pop is to die{ it was 3% at first}. this = 10,000 per day for 365 days, but that's not how it would progress, the numbers would be far worse per day, and over a shorter period. more people have died from the common flu in sd than the chinese flu, like almost 10 fold. where's the panic? " oh but this virus is like the flu on steroids!". if so then why not mass casualties ? dead from the flu is dead from the flu. the majority of this country has been program'd , and conditioned by the boob tube. the story that makes the most sense is always the truth, always. this will be like all the other msm scares... bullshit.
Hi there, I'm a paramedic and constantly seeing statements along the lines of "why aren't the numbers...." or "why aren't there mass casualties?" While comparing it to the flu.

The flu has a well established hold on human populations, that's why you see it every year and there is even a 'flu season' when it tends to infect and spread much more quickly. The Coronavirus is called 'novel' because its NEW. The numbers aren't comparable to something so well established as the flu due to only coming around in the past few months. The steps that have been taken from closing borders to self quarantine and lockdowns have made huge effects on its spread thankfully. With how populous California is I'm honestly surprised with how low our numbers are compared to other states. [Likely attributed to our early shelter in place compared to other states/major cities]

I've had numerous exposures to people tested positive and others who I believe were positive but didn't get tested due to the hospitals initially not having test kits or the other numerous reasons we've heard. Seeing someone get discharged with mild symptoms and then coming back in code 3 with severe shortness of breath and a low o2 sat the very next day is pretty serious.

I personally know of 2 nurses who are in the ICU and an ER doc who just got discharged from the CCU. They're in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. It affects people of all age ranges whether you have comorbidities or not, there are always the unlucky few [ex. 28 yo healthy young person with no medical issues or that 17 yo kid that just died in Palmdale]. People in healthcare have repeated exposures which puts us at more risk and thats without the whole PPE issue. I've had to reuse my n95 for multiple shifts which is total BS but that's a whole different issue.

I'm not here to argue, just provide a quick explanation that hopefully makes sense and gives you guys a direct observation from someone in healthcare. I hate the media as well and do my own reading from viable sources but please don't think it's all fluff. I wish the media didn't spin or exaggerate things but just like a TV reality star, their job is to get views and that's the easiest way to do it. Take care

Last edited:

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Hi there, I'm a paramedic and constantly seeing statements along the lines of "why aren't the numbers...." or "why aren't there mass casualties?" While comparing it to the flu.

The flu has a well established hold on human populations, that's why you see it every year and there is even a 'flu season' when it tends to infect and spread much more quickly. The Coronavirus is called 'novel' because its NEW. The numbers aren't comparable to something so well established as the flu due to only coming around in the past few months. The steps that have been taken from closing borders to self quarantine and lockdowns have made huge effects on its spread thankfully. With how populous California is I'm honestly surprised with how low our numbers are compared to other states. [Likely attributed to our early shelter in place compared to other states/major cities]

I've had numerous exposures to people tested positive and others who I believe were positive but didn't get tested due to the hospitals initially not having test kits or the other numerous reasons we've heard. Seeing someone get discharged with mild symptoms and then coming back in code 3 with severe shortness of breath and a low o2 sat the very next day is pretty serious.

I personally know of 2 nurses who are in the ICU and an ER doc who just got discharged from the CCU. They're in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. It affects people of all age ranges whether you have comorbidities or not, there are always the unlucky few [ex. 28 yo healthy young person with no medical issues or that 17 yo kid that just died in Palmdale]. People in healthcare have repeated exposures which puts us at more risk and thats without the whole PPE issue. I've had to reuse my n95 for multiple shifts which is total BS but that's a whole different issue.

I'm not here to argue, just provide a quick explanation that hopefully makes sense and gives you guys a direct observation from someone in healthcare. I hate the media as well and do my own reading from viable sources but please don't think it's all fluff. I wish the media didn't spin or exaggerate things but just like a TV reality star, their job is to get views and that's the easiest way to do it. Take care
Thank you for the information. Sorry, but it makes for slow reading when you're not familiar with all of your abbreviations:
An intensive care unit (ICU), also known as an intensive therapy unit or intensive treatment unit (ITU) or critical care unit (CCU), is a special department of a hospital or health care facility that provides intensive treatment medicine.

PPE stands for personal protective equipment. PPE means any device or appliance designed to be worn or held by an individual for protection against one or more health and safety hazards

SRJ225

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 4, 2010
USA
Name
Shane
2 days to show symptoms is well below the CDC average of 5.1 days. Secondly, that is 2 days from when her husband treated the patient which further distances the incubation time for contamination to showing signs of the virus. More than likely already had the virus.
Averages really need to be tossed. There are people who get sick and within a few days are dead. There are also many cases of false negatives. And if you believe the false negatives (assuming you already had it) then you have to be open to the idea that the virus will "hide" in your body after you've "recovered". There are an increasing number of people who have become "reinfected". So either they never got over the virus and it wasn't detectable for some reason OR they didn't get antibodies built up and became sick again. I'd much prefer the former because the later scares the hell out of me.

Have an ER doctor friend in Texas (big city) told me they haven't had one person with the virus come in (last I checked the city had triple digits). Then he told me that they ONLY test if they have pneumonia. Then he said they don't have enough kits to test. This was only just a couple of days ago! This far into the pandemic and they still don't have enough kits to test??! Wasn't there supposed to "millions" of kits being produced and that everyone could get tested? Now who said that?

I have to laugh at the media comments. Yes they do hype things. But when was that ever NOT the case? One of my professors in college said that there was speculation that Hearst blew up the Maine (1898) just to sell papers. And if you think the media are bad in the US, you should see Japan. Yet when this virus started to spread, the Japanese media was all over this story. They had reporters (always wondered what happened to them) in Wuhan covering it. Did a great job too. They were explaining just how contagious the virus was. How many people were dying (as opposed to what the "official" count was). They were even showing how easy it was to spread the virus by using reenactments. Maybe due to their coverage it helped to prepare the people for what was coming because even today they still have less than 2k cases. Then again they don't test much 27k last I heard. So who really knows.

Latest research by MIT states the virus can travel 27' in droplets.

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
It does somehow feel safer to me, being outdoors. But then I'm pretty ignorant, too. As I find myself saying (usually to myself) from time to time, "statistics don't mean shit if it's you."

Hoping for rapid return to normalcy to everyone (as a devoted follower of these forums I guess normalcy covers a pretty wide spectrum here :)).

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

trunk777

Jul 24, 2006
yorba linda
Name
mike
Boat
yours
You need to stop!!!

You and panic-mongers like you are creating a mountain out of a mole-hill. I’m done with respecting this crap, and everybody’s fear of this like it’s a zombie virus and a death sentence! And yes, I made an account just to comment on this!
name says it all

MEF_66

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 22, 2014
Name
Matt
Boat
Ranger 2510
Averages really need to be tossed. There are people who get sick and within a few days are dead. There are also many cases of false negatives. And if you believe the false negatives (assuming you already had it) then you have to be open to the idea that the virus will "hide" in your body after you've "recovered". There are an increasing number of people who have become "reinfected". So either they never got over the virus and it wasn't detectable for some reason OR they didn't get antibodies built up and became sick again. I'd much prefer the former because the later scares the hell out of me.

Have an ER doctor friend in Texas (big city) told me they haven't had one person with the virus come in (last I checked the city had triple digits). Then he told me that they ONLY test if they have pneumonia. Then he said they don't have enough kits to test. This was only just a couple of days ago! This far into the pandemic and they still don't have enough kits to test??! Wasn't there supposed to "millions" of kits being produced and that everyone could get tested? Now who said that?

I have to laugh at the media comments. Yes they do hype things. But when was that ever NOT the case? One of my professors in college said that there was speculation that Hearst blew up the Maine (1898) just to sell papers. And if you think the media are bad in the US, you should see Japan. Yet when this virus started to spread, the Japanese media was all over this story. They had reporters (always wondered what happened to them) in Wuhan covering it. Did a great job too. They were explaining just how contagious the virus was. How many people were dying (as opposed to what the "official" count was). They were even showing how easy it was to spread the virus by using reenactments. Maybe due to their coverage it helped to prepare the people for what was coming because even today they still have less than 2k cases. Then again they don't test much 27k last I heard. So who really knows.

Latest research by MIT states the virus can travel 27' in droplets.
First of All, I really like you like to quote things but when someone else quotes a fact you dismiss the fact. It would be a waste of my time and effort for anyone to argue with you. You are just taking the news and personnel statements and trying to scare the heck out of everyone on this site. Here is the long and short of this pandemic.
#1. People are going to die
#2. People are going to live
#3. If you are one of those that believes you can overcome the virus with anti bodies only to be re-infected, well I am just not going to entertain your comments

Reactions: HookEmDanO

MEF_66

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 22, 2014
Name
Matt
Boat
Ranger 2510
alot of people suck dick every day.how is a car crash correlate with a new deadly virus
Well Trunk777 not sure how you came up with people suck dick every day from car crash correlation, but I believe the point of the post was to show how we as a society are dealing with this pandemic. Verses how we go out and drive our cars everyday even with the danger that represents.
There is also a much longer view to this situation that everyone needs to also realize. The economic impact this virus has on the United States and for that matter the world will not be realized for many years to come. What happens come May 1, 2020? Is everything going to go back to normal? NO, because we do not have a cure for this virus. There will be long reaching economic affects form shutting down the country the way it has been. While I do support shutting things down we all need to realize this is not going to just stop come May 1, 2020. Until there is a cure this is going to go on.

Reactions: HookEmDanO

500BBC

Oct 19, 2007
LA
Name
Brad
Boat
19' Schiada, Neighborhood Menace
It's amazing the number of people that can't grasp basic math.
How about the number 60,000 is greater than the number 3000?
Can you hysterics grasp that?

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
Jan 31, 2004
San Diego
Name
Dan
Boat
1997 Trophy 2352
Well Trunk777 not sure how you came up with people suck dick every day from car crash correlation, but I believe the point of the post was to show how we as a society are dealing with this pandemic. Verses how we go out and drive our cars everyday even with the danger that represents.
There is also a much longer view to this situation that everyone needs to also realize. The economic impact this virus has on the United States and for that matter the world will not be realized for many years to come. What happens come May 1, 2020? Is everything going to go back to normal? NO, because we do not have a cure for this virus. There will be long reaching economic affects form shutting down the country the way it has been. While I do support shutting things down we all need to realize this is not going to just stop come May 1, 2020. Until there is a cure this is going to go on.

is there a cure for any of the flus? I dont think so...so I would not be counting on any "cure" ...ever

there are "treatments"

people dies every year from a flu...will this just be another to add to that list ? or will it be like SARS and disappear ?

lobzila

May 2, 2007
Oside
Name
e-man
Boat
204 Angler
Here is a fact that may keep you home. In the last four days, we have tripled the number of people in ICU in the state of California. Do you suppose the USNS Mercy crew was bored and decided to dock in L.A.?

Reactions: trunk777

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
Jan 31, 2004
San Diego
Name
Dan
Boat
1997 Trophy 2352
only 2 so far.you?

well good for you....isnt it bout time for you to go do another...remember to wash that DNA off yer blue dress when done 👍

I dont do blowjobs...I play for the other team...and NO...I do NOT want one from you

Reactions: 500BBC