Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
A Mayor can not call out the National Guard.
The Governor can.
You are correct, but he can direct the Guard, after the governor activates them. And they are in constant contact with each other.

Here's a report on one of his speeches taken out of context:
And, as the National Guard has been tapped elsewhere, he reminded residents that the military has not been officially mobilized in the city. He said, when that that time comes, he will let residents know.

bdcarpenter28

Midnight Rambler
Feb 16, 2008
San diego
Name
Brian
Boat
2301 striper
Would you happen to know if this still applies under a National Emergency?

I could be totally off on this one, but when I was listening to one of Mayor Garcetti's speeches, he hinted that calling out the National Guard to police the streets was a possibility if the orders from the Mayor and Governor were not followed. He didn't come out and say it, but the implication was there. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
When I called life guards, PD, and the port of San Diego the only answer I could get is that’s what the Mayor and Governor want. It’s clearly stated in the California constitution “at no time shall a law be passed” this would only go away if they declared Martial Law. Laws like this we’re out into place to protect us from the government. It’s crazy that more people aren’t outraged by this and will just comply giving up their rights. If we let this happen now then what will happen next time? Give a little more?

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
When I called life guards, PD, and the port of San Diego the only answer I could get is that’s what the Mayor and Governor want. It’s clearly stated in the California constitution “at no time shall a law be passed” this would only go away if they declared Martial Law. Laws like this we’re out into place to protect us from the government. It’s crazy that more people aren’t outraged by this and will just comply giving up their rights. If we let this happen now then what will happen next time? Give a little more?
Giving up a little time to use a launch ramp is not a violation of your rights.I'm not on board the panic train at all but feel that closing some public areas down isn't hurting anybody.Especially those areas that seem to attract crowds.

Nathan Gunter

May 4, 2018
Sacramento
Name
nathan Gunter
Boat
Frenzy
crunch the numbers , chicken little, and come to your senses. if it's as bad as the corrupt msm has portrayed it ,{and brainwashed you into a panic}..... 1% of the u.s. pop is to die{ it was 3% at first}. this = 10,000 per day for 365 days, but that's not how it would progress, the numbers would be far worse per day, and over a shorter period. more people have died from the common flu in sd than the chinese flu, like almost 10 fold. where's the panic? " oh but this virus is like the flu on steroids!". if so then why not mass casualties ? dead from the flu is dead from the flu. the majority of this country has been program'd , and conditioned by the boob tube. the story that makes the most sense is always the truth, always. this will be like all the other msm scares... bullshit.

Mar 29, 2020
San diego
Name
Carlito
Boat
Da Yak
Maybe you all missed it, but we are in the middle of a world-wide pandemic. Every one of us will be directly, or indirectly impacted by the death it will take on us and on our loved ones. If you have any questions about how bad it will be here in 10-14 days, just take a look at what is going on across the country. 400 people died in the US YESTERDAY alone from Covid 19 and 919 died in Italy YESTERDAY alone. For the record, Italy has much better medical care than the US. They have 5.3 hospital beds per 1,000 people and the US has 2.3. They are much better prepared to take care of people that is the US.

We have been asked to stay home to limit the spread and people are complaining about the launch ramps being closed. They are closed because of the impact that your choice to launch the boat has on other people. Every time you have contact with another person you have a chance of catching the virus, or worse yet, spreading it to someone else. So it’s not all about YOU. It’s about the impact you have on other people.

The virus can be active for 24-48 hours on a hard surface. This means when you touch a surface you have a chance of catching it (direct contact). When you walk by someone and they cough or sneeze near and the droplets are suspended in the air and get on you and become exposed. It’s twice as contagious and 10 times as deadly as the flu.

• Fueling your boat – You pull into the gas station and touch the fuel hose. You have exposed yourself and the person that touches the hose after you. Next you walk in and grab a burrito and touch the lid to open the display. You grab a coffee cup and touch the creamer. Now you pay the cashier with cash and he must touch the money. You walk by all of the other people in the mini mart. Some may have it and you are now exposed.
  • Next you get a flat tire. You are stuck on the side of the road and the CHP or local PD comes by to check on you. He now has to make contact with you. Next you call AAA to help you change your tire. Another contact.
  • You launch your boat and tie off to the dock. You walk by another boater. Another contact
  • You touched the clear to tie off your boat and the next person who uses the cleat is exposed.
  • You run to the head to take a leak. You pass someone in the john. Another contact.
  • You break down and call vessel assist or the coast guard. Another contact
  • You buy a scoop of bait. Another contact.
  • Now reverse the process to go home.
The above scenario is considering that you are going solo on your trip. As we all know, that's not the best idea in the world. If you are going with anyone outside of your immediate household, you are increasing the risk of exposure.

The reality is that it’s not really your choice. If you get sick, the medical system will take care of you. That’s the reality of it in the US. The problem is that by you being out and about you will get sick or get someone else sick.

Recently one of the knuckleheads teenagers who called Covid-19 a hoax and licked a toilet seat to prove it, recently tested positive. He made a choice and will pay for his actions. The problem is that he exposed others and put them at risk. This includes all his family and those he had contact with for the last 5-7 days. He has now impacted the healthcare workers who have to treat him. His poor decisions have now impacted other people.

This is like the law that requires a motorcyclist to wear a helmet. The argument is that it’s my choice and I can ride without a helmet. Actually, that’s not the case any longer. When you fall from your bike and hit your head, my tax dollars pay for your medical care. When you are a paraplegic and on medical for the rest of your life your decision to not wear a helmet impacts the rest of us.

The reality is that in 10-14 days, Covid 19 will really take control of our region and all of this will be a moot point. You will look back and see this decision as a no brainer, especially when you see the toll this is going to take on our region.

Before you comment on this post, I respectfully ask that you watch this video filmed by an emergency room physician in New York. This is what is likely to happen here. After you have watched the video feel free to comment. Stay safe!

You need to stop!!!

You and panic-mongers like you are creating a mountain out of a mole-hill. I’m done with respecting this crap, and everybody’s fear of this like it’s a zombie virus and a death sentence! And yes, I made an account just to comment on this!

lasparky11

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 7, 2008
Ontario, CA USA
Name
Gene
Boat
X-wife she's so fat she floats
You need to stop!!!

You and panic-mongers like you are creating a mountain out of a mole-hill. I’m done with respecting this crap, and everybody’s fear of this like it’s a zombie virus and a death sentence! And yes, I made an account just to comment on this!
Why don't you delete your account & go fuck yourself at the same time. The pandemic is real & so are the stats coming out of the CDC asshole! As a 64 years old with underlying health issues, it's morons like you & half the people commenting on this thread is why everything was ordered closed. COVID-19 is far more contagious than the flu and has a much higher death rate. I catch this shit I'm more than likely dead. People need to stop comparing it to the flu, the flu is preventable in most cases. Not as contagious or as deadly. If all Americans got a flu shot the infection rate & death would drop dramatically. No fucking vaccine for COVID-19! In the 10+ years I've been on BD this is the 1st I have posted on a thread like this one. Why? You can't argue with stupid people. They drag you down to their level & beat you up with experience.

michael e. bingham

Well-Known "Member"
May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
You need to stop!!!

A mountain out of a mole hill ? What Feffin planet are you from ? People are dying all over the world and we're panic mongers ? Youre a Dumb ass and you need to pull your head out of your ass and get with the program , you are not immune to this and people who care are making sacafrices and you the dumb ass is rocking the boat , im sorry you joined just to get your worthless 2 cents in because thats all it is

lougio

Capt Lou
Jul 19, 2014
La Mesa, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
'03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
Where do you find these panic driving numbers? As someone else said, break out your scientific calculator (because your phone calculator won’t carry the decimal place out far enough) rediculously low numbers relative to US and World population.
This is link to Johns Hopkins Covid19 tracker.
The numbers are right there in front of you. Ya don't need a fancy calculator. Smarten up!

Reactions: Greenbergler

Troutderby

Jul 5, 2019
Ramona
Name
Ian
Boat
Shamrock 260 Stalker
Walk me through this CAPTN. You lost me at .... I think it’s obvious you are after your post . For fucks sake !
And I’ll add that I was replying to my buddies response... But looking back on your posts . If you feel you are at risk it is your responsibility to protect yourself. Not mine . And are we all referring to ourselves as captains now ?

DC61

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
Just returned home from dropping dinner off to my firefighter friend who is quarantined at a local hotel. He is on day 8 of his journey since testing positive for Covid 19. He says it's the worst thing he has ever been through. Migraine headaches, terrible body aches, fever, dizziness, nausea and vomiting. Unfortunately they say that you get a relapse on day 8 and 9. This has been the case for him. He is still in a great deal of pain and is nauseous. Fortunately it seems the worst is behind him and he will ultimately be ok.

On another note, he said you lose your sense of taste and smell. Hopefully it will come back. He is hoping he can be reunited with his family in a week. He is deathly afraid of passing it along tho them.
His message to everyone is to protect themselves. This is not just the common cold.

Woodeneye

Well-Known "Member"
May 23, 2007
North Orange County
Name
Chris
Boat
Striper 2300
Wow, that escalated quickly. Glad to see BD forums didn’t disappoint. So currently 142,000 cases in US divided into population of 328 million, only .0000423 of the population is affected. So be careful, keep your distance, wash your hands, but bodies are not stacking up in the streets. Turn off CNN and fact check some shit. I hope none of us gets it. Add a bunch more zeroes after the decimal point if you compare total numbers against the worlds 7.6 billion people. An average of 100 people die each day in traffic collisions so be careful on your way to stock up on TP.

Last edited:

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
There is no need to close ramps if people practice social distancing, that is the key. You have 10x more chance of getting it at the grocery store. Eliminating this activity has nothing to do with flattening the curve. Don’t pay in/accept cash, or if you do, spray it down with alcohol based sanitizer and/or quarantine it. Wipe your hands with alcohol before and after touching everything someone else will touch. Stay 10 feet from each other, cause no one can measure 6 feet it seems. Now I’m not saying this isn’t serious, it is, it will likely kill more than 200,000 Americans, up to 2mil if we don’t do social distancing. But we don’t have to go overboard either.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
DC61 - We lived in northern Italy for 4 years. Their medical services are definitely NOT better than those in the US. I believe Italy also tends to refer to their senior living and assisted care facilities as hospitals. They are NOT.
Their population is considerably older that the U.S. and that is part of it. The numbers I saw were the U.S. has about 2.8 hospital beds , Italy just over three and Korea? 15! (all per capita).
I saw an interesting contrast on the news a week or two ago. They interviewed a number of Italians and most said all the human to human contact was in their nature (all that hugging and kissing stuff) and they would continue doing so. In Korea most interviewed said they understood and practiced social distancing and wore masks. Certainly many more important factors between the those countries influencing the course of the outbreak but it was an interesting comparison.