DC61

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
Maybe you all missed it, but we are in the middle of a world-wide pandemic. Every one of us will be directly, or indirectly impacted by the death it will take on us and on our loved ones. If you have any questions about how bad it will be here in 10-14 days, just take a look at what is going on across the country. 400 people died in the US YESTERDAY alone from Covid 19 and 919 died in Italy YESTERDAY alone. For the record, Italy has much better medical care than the US. They have 5.3 hospital beds per 1,000 people and the US has 2.3. They are much better prepared to take care of people that is the US.

We have been asked to stay home to limit the spread and people are complaining about the launch ramps being closed. They are closed because of the impact that your choice to launch the boat has on other people. Every time you have contact with another person you have a chance of catching the virus, or worse yet, spreading it to someone else. So it’s not all about YOU. It’s about the impact you have on other people.

The virus can be active for 24-48 hours on a hard surface. This means when you touch a surface you have a chance of catching it (direct contact). When you walk by someone and they cough or sneeze near and the droplets are suspended in the air and get on you and become exposed. It’s twice as contagious and 10 times as deadly as the flu.

• Fueling your boat – You pull into the gas station and touch the fuel hose. You have exposed yourself and the person that touches the hose after you. Next you walk in and grab a burrito and touch the lid to open the display. You grab a coffee cup and touch the creamer. Now you pay the cashier with cash and he must touch the money. You walk by all of the other people in the mini mart. Some may have it and you are now exposed.
  • Next you get a flat tire. You are stuck on the side of the road and the CHP or local PD comes by to check on you. He now has to make contact with you. Next you call AAA to help you change your tire. Another contact.
  • You launch your boat and tie off to the dock. You walk by another boater. Another contact
  • You touched the clear to tie off your boat and the next person who uses the cleat is exposed.
  • You run to the head to take a leak. You pass someone in the john. Another contact.
  • You break down and call vessel assist or the coast guard. Another contact
  • You buy a scoop of bait. Another contact.
  • Now reverse the process to go home.
The above scenario is considering that you are going solo on your trip. As we all know, that's not the best idea in the world. If you are going with anyone outside of your immediate household, you are increasing the risk of exposure.

The reality is that it’s not really your choice. If you get sick, the medical system will take care of you. That’s the reality of it in the US. The problem is that by you being out and about you will get sick or get someone else sick.

Recently one of the knuckleheads teenagers who called Covid-19 a hoax and licked a toilet seat to prove it, recently tested positive. He made a choice and will pay for his actions. The problem is that he exposed others and put them at risk. This includes all his family and those he had contact with for the last 5-7 days. He has now impacted the healthcare workers who have to treat him. His poor decisions have now impacted other people.

This is like the law that requires a motorcyclist to wear a helmet. The argument is that it’s my choice and I can ride without a helmet. Actually, that’s not the case any longer. When you fall from your bike and hit your head, my tax dollars pay for your medical care. When you are a paraplegic and on medical for the rest of your life your decision to not wear a helmet impacts the rest of us.

The reality is that in 10-14 days, Covid 19 will really take control of our region and all of this will be a moot point. You will look back and see this decision as a no brainer, especially when you see the toll this is going to take on our region.

Before you comment on this post, I respectfully ask that you watch this video filmed by an emergency room physician in New York. This is what is likely to happen here. After you have watched the video feel free to comment. Stay safe!

Last edited:

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
While your points are valid, if I'm treating fishing as a source of food I am actually putting myself at a lot less risk and coming into contact with a lot less people/objects versus going to the grocery store.

DC61

Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
Itran0614,

I stand corrected and have edited my original post. You are correct. Here are the facts regarding airborne transmission from the CDC:

Can the coronavirus disease spread through air?
Airborne spread has not been reported for COVID-19 and it is not believed to be a major driver of transmission based on available evidence

mshsu

Jun 16, 2005
Los Angeles
Name
Ming
Boat
Sea Hunt 17cc
I'm bummed the launch ramps are closed, but I also understand the public health point of view. If everyone were to go on boating trips solo or with only immediate family members that they already live with, then the additional exposure would likely be low. However, I'll bet a large percentage if not a majority of boating trips would include "buddies" and that would be a problem.

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
Maybe you all missed it, but we are in the middle of a world-wide pandemic. Every one of us will be directly, or indirectly impacted by the death it will take on us and on our loved ones. If you have any questions about how bad it will be here in 10-14 days, just take a look at what is going on across the country. 400 people died in the US YESTERDAY alone from Covid 19 and 919 died in Italy YESTERDAY alone. For the record, Italy has much better medical care than the US. They have 5.3 hospital beds per 1,000 people and the US has 2.3. They are much better prepared to take care of people that is the US.

We have been asked to stay home to limit the spread and people are complaining about the launch ramps being closed. They are closed because of the impact that your choice to launch the boat has on other people. Every time you have contact with another person you have a chance of catching the virus, or worse yet, spreading it to someone else. So it’s not all about YOU. It’s about the impact you have on other people.

The virus can be active for 24-48 hours on a hard surface. This means when you touch a surface you have a chance of catching it (direct contact). When you walk by someone and they cough or sneeze near and the droplets are suspended in the air and get on you and become exposed. It’s twice as contagious and 10 times as deadly as the flu.

• Fueling your boat – You pull into the gas station and touch the fuel hose. You have exposed yourself and the person that touches the hose after you. Next you walk in and grab a burrito and touch the lid to open the display. You grab a coffee cup and touch the creamer. Now you pay the cashier with cash and he must touch the money. You walk by all of the other people in the mini mart. Some may have it and you are now exposed.
  • Next you get a flat tire. You are stuck on the side of the road and the CHP or local PD comes by to check on you. He now has to make contact with you. Next you call AAA to help you change your tire. Another contact.
  • You launch your boat and tie off to the dock. You walk by another boater. Another contact
  • You touched the clear to tie off your boat and the next person who uses the cleat is exposed.
  • You run to the head to take a leak. You pass someone in the john. Another contact.
The above scenario is considering that you are going solo on your trip. As we all know, that's not the best idea in the world. If you are going with anyone outside of your immediate household, you are increasing the risk of exposure.

The reality is that it’s not really your choice. If you get sick, the medical system will take care of you. That’s the reality of it in the US. The problem is that by you being out and about you will get sick or get someone else sick.

Recently one of the knuckleheads teenagers who called Covid-19 a hoax and licked a toilet seat to prove it, recently tested positive. He made a choice and will pay for his actions. The problem is that he exposed others and put them at risk. This includes all his family and those he had contact with for the last 5-7 days. He has now impacted the healthcare workers who have to treat him. His poor decisions have now impacted other people.

This is like the law that requires a motorcyclist to wear a helmet. The argument is that it’s my choice and I can ride without a helmet. Actually, that’s not the case any longer. When you fall from your bike and hit your head, my tax dollars pay for your medical care. When you are a paraplegic and on medical for the rest of your life your decision to not wear a helmet impacts the rest of us.

The reality is that in 10-14 days, Covid 19 will really take control of our region and all of this will be a moot point. You will look back and see this decision as a no brainer, especially when you see the toll this is going to take on our region.

Before you comment on this post, I respectfully ask that you watch this video filmed by an emergency room physician in New York. This is what is likely to happen here. After you have watched the video feel free to comment. Stay safe!

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
When They refer to Droplets they are not referring to being sneeze or coughed on , they are referring to your hands to your face ....

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
DC61 - We lived in northern Italy for 4 years. Their medical services are definitely NOT better than those in the US. I believe Italy also tends to refer to their senior living and assisted care facilities as hospitals. They are NOT.

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
My boat is full of fuel, don't need ice or burritos, I just want to launch my boat at shelter island and hopefully catch a yellow. Open the launch ramp and let me go fishing !

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
The droplets survive for dif length of time,stainless is the longest.Some surface as little as 3 hours.Tom

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
Incorrect. Sneezing/coughing spread the virus. Those droplets remain on hard surfaces for a long while...Several days? Uo to 17 days? Be safe.
Hence , Hands to Face .......
People don’t have to live in fear
just follow the recommended guidelines

Reactions: slydawg

Nathan Gunter

May 4, 2018
Sacramento
Name
nathan Gunter
Boat
Frenzy
DC61 - We lived in northern Italy for 4 years. Their medical services are definitely NOT better than those in the US. I believe Italy also tends to refer to their senior living and assisted care facilities as hospitals. They are NOT.
Our hospitals are way more advanced and have way more rooms Per hospital. The hospitals in Italy were small.

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs

Its OK to be scared,Stay in your house with the curtains drawn and you will be safe.

cioppino

Dec 16, 2005
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
FORTUNA -- Parker 2510 XLD
The city knows you knuckle heads are cheap and would take your buddies fishing to save on fuel bait, and beer. They would have to verify everyone on each boat lives together to follow statewide covid guidelines. Not happening.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
While your points are valid, if I'm treating fishing as a source of food I am actually putting myself at a lot less risk and coming into contact with a lot less people/objects versus going to the grocery store.
Looks like you're talking about a essential vs. a non-essential activity.

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Looks like you're talking about a essential vs. a non-essential activity.
Procuring food should be an essential if that's what you're referring to. Like I said going to grocery store is going to put myself and a lot of people at higher risk vs fishing.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
My boat is full of fuel, don't need ice or burritos, I just want to launch my boat at shelter island and hopefully catch a yellow. Open the launch ramp and let me go fishing !
but when you come back from fishing you will need gas, and maybe ice if you catch anything, and then you may even get hungry to get that burrito you mentioned....
so.... be smart and stay at home....

Apr 21, 2018
Huntington Beach CA
Name
Precision
Boat
Uniflite 23
As I drove over the Bridge on PCH yesterday near the Huntington Harbor entrance I saw a nice Hatteras sport fisher stuck on a sand bar with several private tow boats and the Harbor Patrol boats trying to assist.(Before you attack me about being on the road I was delivering groceries and Meds to my elderly parents who are on total lockdown.) Unintended consequences,I am sure this boat owner never thought he would need to call upon all these other people even if he was by himself. Just an observation.

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
As I drove over the Bridge on PCH yesterday near the Huntington Harbor entrance I saw a nice Hatteras sport fisher stuck on a sand bar with several private tow boats and the Harbor Patrol boats trying to assist.(Before you attack me about being on the road I was delivering groceries and Meds to my elderly parents who are on total lockdown.) Unintended consequences,I am sure this boat owner never thought he would need to call upon all these other people even if he was by himself. Just an observation.
Just as while driving on the road you could have got in an accident and had the same amount of people called in to assist.