Why No Clicker?

Discussion in 'Shimano Fishing Gear' started by flyliner, Jan 28, 2014.

1. flyliner

flyliner @therealflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
    Let me start off by saying I love shimano rods and reels. Easily my favorite brand. 90% of my gear is shimano (and I have enough gear to fill a small tackle store).

That being said, one thing I wish Shimano would do is add a clicker on some of their bait casters.

I wish the Calcutta D series had a clicker, especially the 300 and 400 sizes. Granted, I understand the reel is a lure caster, but they would work very well as a bait soaker too. I don't think fisherman are using reels exclusively for this or that anyway. Most of us will use our gear for a variety of applications.

Lord knows the Tranx should have a clicker. Talk about a reel that I would love to soak squid on for seabass at Catalina. Yes, the reel wasn't "designed" specifically for this, but I can tell you that the reel is certainly up to the task, and then some.

So far, it looks like Abu Garcia is one of the only companies putting clickers on their saltwater bait casters, and for that reason, I have sold my Calcutta D reels (which I loved) and will be replacing them with the Revo Toro NACL reels.

While I love shimano, I think they need to do a better job of listening to their customer base. Why did it take so long to realize a black terez rod is a good idea? Why not offer a black knob for the Trinidad A series? No easy quick access port to the Calcutta D seriers spool breaking system? No clickers on the larger saltwater baitcasters?

I could go on. The point is I just want shimano to pay attention so I can spend more of my money on their products in the future....lol.

Hugh Kollar, Buttchaser and amnajar like this.
  2. I'M OFF

I'M OFF Really off

Name:
    Tommy
    Boat:
    Good point..Pro Gear did the same thing on some models, no clicker? I can't believe the Tranx doesn't have one.

3. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Baja Bound
    This is too funny. I understand what you are saying and have said the same thing about them in different terms. I ended up selling all my shimano gear for this reason. If they don't care about me as a customer, then :finger:.

gecsr1 likes this.
  4. rza007

rza007 Iron Sheik

Name:
    Fish
    Boat:
    Ya, and bring back gold trinis n calcutta TEs

5. drumford

drumford gotta go babe!

Name:
    Dondo
    Boat:
    Cory's Rig
    10-4 that Tony!!!

hawkplayer32 likes this.
  6. nefarious235

nefarious235 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    No clicker, No sale

jiminoc and kimbo like this.
  7. flyliner

flyliner @therealflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
    Personally I do tend to think the new Trinidad As are an improvement over the gold versions (except for the impractical but eye catching white knob of course). I wonder how much better Shimano's sales of the Trinidad As would have been and would be if the knob was black.....I can't tell you how many of my friends refuse to buy the reel because of the white knob, or buy the reel but spend $40 to get a replacement black knob from a stella (like me).

As for the Calcutta TEs....totally agree. Just about everyone agrees that the Calcutta D series was not an imporvement over the TEs. I doubt shimano's sales of the D series are very good. I have heard the the new calcutta conquest is coming out that should be nice.....crossing my finger that the 300 and 400 sizes would have a clicker (assuming they make a clicker in those sizes).

I won't talk about what shimano did with the curado and chronarch reels because it just makes me sad......though I do see that they are releasing a new curado reel that looks exciting.

8. Nic D

Nic D Living life in Baja

Name:
    Nic
    Boat:
    2018 26' Pelagic Hybrid Super Panga in the East Cape
    The Okuma Kumodo 364 is a 350 size low profile reel that has a clicker.... Oh and 24lbs of drag too

simmo13 likes this.
  9. Johnlgarrison

Johnlgarrison The ultimate goal is memories not dreams.

Name:
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    I wish my Tranx had a clicker, I could not agree with you more about it being a terrific reel for WSB. It is still my favorite reel.

10. Bantam1

Bantam1 Shimano Rep Advertiser

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    N/A
    The demand for a clicker on certain reels is shrinking. It simply didn't make sense to install one on the Tranx because of the low profile design. I ask that you guys be patient. There are some products in the works for later this year and next year.

RideHPD, jimfishes and DITCH CLEANER like this.
  11. titos334

titos334 VIP Elite Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Rainbow Surprise
    I think the demand is just stupid low for a clicker on the baitcasters. I've used the clicker on the 300CTE like 3 times ever. Your other points are totally valid but I thing you're maybe among dozens actually turned off by the lack of clicker for baitcasters.

12. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    I like my reels to have a clicker for tying up. Put clicker on and free spool. I wasn't aware so many Shimano reel's didn't have clickers, Shimano is my preference

13. I hate seals

I hate seals Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bryan Z
    Boat:
    36' Hatteras
    The demand for a clicker on certain reels is shrinking. It simply didn't make sense to install one on the Tranx because of the low profile design. I ask that you guys be patient. There are some products in the works for later this year and next year.

I really like Shimano for a lot of your products. I have tried tons of reels on El Gato Dos and we put them through the ringer more than most with some months of 30 trips in a row. Far and above the gold Trinidads have performed the best. I've seen issues with some of the other reels we have used, granted we do fish more than the average dude and don't have the time to service what we have as much as a non-charter boat.

What we want from Shimano is a price point reel that's reliable and somewhere in the middle of a $500 Trinidad and a $160 Torium. A working man's reel so to say. That offer's more than a TLD star. We need a reel that can handle calico bass and rockfish, yet be ready when a #50 seabass eats your anchovy, or can tackle a Albacore day after day. And I know the option of tricking out reels, but we would benefit from a stock reel.

With all the feedback from anglers over the years, it's a bummer to have to wait and I've got the feeling the prices will still be high.

Hugh Kollar likes this.
  14. Bantam1

Bantam1 Shimano Rep Advertiser

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    N/A
    I know what you mean and I would love to see something new in that price range. However, given the cost of development it will be difficult to make something that the charter guys need for a low price point. A TLD star with similar gearing to the Trinidad is what it should be. It would be impossible with a graphite frame. There would be too much flex to take advantage of larger and better gearing. You need a rigid platform to start with. Once you go metal the cost goes way up.

15. OCEAN theRAPIST

OCEAN theRAPIST Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    randy
    Boat:
    ocean therapist
    i have a ton of shimano gear and it does seem the newer models an based on throwing jigs but i like my older 400's they have clickers. an i would own a tranx if it had a clicker or clicker kit. there are alot of good companys out there but i wont ever just sell all my shimano gear they have some awesome stuff

16. leadslinger

leadslinger Ship of Fools

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    Mako 232 cc - Lead Slinger
    The clicker needs to make a come back and if you dont like the clicker then dont use it simple.
    My TE400 is more suited for all around fishing But I'm liking my 400d the more I fish it bottom line, it needs a clicker Mainly fly-lining.

17. lechico

lechico Newbie

Name:
    dave
    Boat:
    STRIPER
    please give us a clicker and lefty on the tranx

18. Calico Blast

Calico Blast Newbie

Name:
    Chris Navarro
    Boat:
    The Royal Star baby!!!
    Now why would I need a clicker on a baitcaster or any other reel other than a trolling rig? Your fingers are the clicker when using bait! Otherwise you are casting jigs or jigging deep! Back off the drag to rig up. Test and setup your drag afterwards for the application.

Hugh Kollar likes this.
  19. slapazz

slapazz Member

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    17' sportcraft
    Universal Clickers dinnerbell.jpg

Hugh Kollar likes this.
  20. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    shimano are over priced and over hyped...it's that way with allot of products...price em high advertise and get some whores on the radio to answer every "what reel do you recommend question" with a shimano answer and wala...you can sell to anyone.
    It's funny when you first get on a boat and see people with all brand new shimano equipment then you see them fish..lol

gecsr1 and middleofnowhere like this.