junkyardEd

Special Baiter Wizard
Nov 27, 2008
San Diego
Name
Ed
Boat
SOLD
i was watching a boat unload in Point Loma and I can't believe how many 8 to 12" yellowtail as well as so many 3 to 5 lb rat yellowfin
Why

$$$$$$,,, and they will be the first ones to cry when limits are reduced.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
I liken it to pier fishing.A lot of people like to catch and eat fish.It is what it is....catching,a $port boats bread and butter.

Reactions: BassAssasin805
Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
fish dope has a table full of yellows barely longer than the fillet knife next to them. if you want i could post the numbers

Upvote 0

allelect

Fishmaster
Mar 17, 2004
oceanside
Name
Todd
Boat
Uniflite Predator
I can only morals should be the issue weather legal or not
Not on my boat and what to the Sportboats code of ethics that they talk about
At least the processor Five Star rejected a catch
I looked it up and it's says they in the long rang fleet have min sizes excel said 28" on yellowtail and 24" on tuna

Upvote 0

walkerman

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
Some folks only get to fish once a year, unlike the bombastic, moralistic folks posting their indignation on this thread. Spend a couple of hundred buck, they probably want something to show for it.
A 12-15 inch YT is as big as a rockfish.

Reactions: MJB
Upvote 0

Fathomx

Old Guy
Jan 27, 2012
OC
Name
Wrapper
Boat
It's gone
I would keep a couple to eat none to give away. Keeping 10 if in the us would be a alittle rediculous.

Upvote 0

The Chad

Jun 18, 2012
Murrieta, CA
Name
Chad
Boat
SOLD
Most folks who fish the Sporties don't get to pull on fish all the time and don't really know in many cases that their fish is considered small so the boat pulls it in and sticks their number on it. If the boat told them they were small and should be released it might not be popular in the sportie fishermen crowd. Those who don't fish all the time don't understand the cost of fishing so a 100 plus dollar ticket for the day to not come back with fish doesn't add up to them. I think it is less of a blame "who is at fault" piece and more of an education piece.

Reactions: MJB and eDUBz
Upvote 0

johnny12fish

Jun 12, 2003
san diego
Visit site
Name
johnny
Boat
Yours
Bottom line most people do not go as often as others and feel as long as they are with in the regs and spent the money for the trip they are going to keep there fare share. And yes they like the counts of course how ever I personally would never keep one but I here they make good drop back baits just hear say of course.

Upvote 0

allelect

Fishmaster
Mar 17, 2004
oceanside
Name
Todd
Boat
Uniflite Predator
Just foun out DFG is citing boats as the size is only allowed on the firtst five the they need to meet the minimum
As for Rock fish being that small thats another issue! The Rock fishing regulations are trying to combat with time restrictions and depth!
If you feel the need to keep those small babys Just keep the stuff in the bait tank!

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
I was recently on one of my favorite sportie and they encouraged keeping all rat yellows and yft that day. It was disappointing but I'm not going to judge the boat nor the people that did it. It's well within their rights. I don't think I'm any better than the next fisherman because I release small fish. Apparently most of you do think that around here. :)))

Reactions: goodnews729
Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
We ran across the little guys this past weekend and the guys wanted to pull on em a bit...I simply said, "we're not killing babies on my boat....reel em up....let's keep looking"

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    If I am on a boat and we are stopped on something that I personally am not interested in catching, then I just go up to the bow and put some time in with large deep jigs. I'm not bothered by baby yellows or football tuna or necktie dorado, and every now and then I get pounced on by something serious down deep. Lots of big fish think that those schools of small fish are LUNCH and hang out down below. I don't get bothered by what other people keep to take home. Go do your own thing.

Upvote 0

Andrewxxx

Aug 25, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    1985--18.5 Holiday Center Console
    I can only morals should be the issue weather legal or not
    Not on my boat and what to the Sportboats code of ethics that they talk about
    At least the processor Five Star rejected a catch
    I looked it up and it's says they in the long rang fleet have min sizes excel said 28" on yellowtail and 24" on tuna[/QUOT

Now that's one fishing regulation we could all agree on.
    28" on yellowtail and 24" on tuna.

Reactions: BassAssasin805
    Upvote 0