Why is SPJ so addictive?

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Anyone who has been bitten by the SPJ bug has to understand this. The concept behind this lure based fishing method is pure genius. But it does take time on the water and specific gear and skill sets to make it work the way it is supposed to. To me one of the most appealing traits that SPJ has is that we can work the entire water column. The better jigs have the ability to attract pretty much anything that swims. I have found that I live for the telltale line twitch or the moment a jig goes weightless that signals me I have been bit. That moment when the rod takes a deep bend is just classic. I always just want more. More time on the water.....more jigs and gear.......and more of those moments. My name is Jeff...and I have a problem LOL

So what is your deal?

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
Hi Jeff, help is on the way. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
I am not on the SPJ craze yet. I fish mainly for rock cod and lings. I fish the standard 8ft rod with a lexa 400 and either flat fall style casting out up current and letting the boat drift to the jig usually hit before the jig reaches the vertical position below the bow. or bulldog heavy jigs straight up and down. How does this differ from the SPJ style cheers

Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

Explorer1

Almost A Member
Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None

Why is SPJ so addictive?​

So what is your deal?

I like it because I can do it few days in a row without applying DeepHeat. My yearly Speed jigging for AJs in Asia, take too much out of the body when 500-600gram at 120meters water..... Can’t do back to back days. SPJ wouldn’t work on this type of party boat cos they drift way too fast for that depth. Normally 9 days there but only fish 3 (at most) 30 hours trip

Last edited:
Reactions: Almud
Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Fishing is a disease. It’s incurable and contagious, the symptoms are often severe. You can pretend you don’t have it, but strange ticks like random hook sets in public and waking hallucinations of buckled rods and screeching reels will occur while you’re engaged in earning a living.
The only solution is to treat the symptoms but that makes the disease worse. This disease is a lifelong trial but I think I can deal with it. Jigging in general is just a different phase of this condition, but if you catch it, it’s permanent.
On the up side, no disease I’ve ever heard of is this much fun!

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    For me it was the fact that it payed off immediately. From the first trip I took out these fluttering jigs a few seasons ago I automatically outfished the folks using traditional methods here on the west coast. I caught bigger fish, limited faster, and hooked up more consistently.

That is for reef dwelling fish, I still haven't been able to apply this technique to Halibut or others with any success, still trying.

Reactions: FlatPack
    Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
    May 26, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave Coopman
    Boat
    Judge 27
    What is the best way to learn about SPJ, starting with the right equipment for So Cal?
    This is a good site to start looking at https://www.anglers-secrets.com/ Other that that YouTube vids.

Socal will create its own spj niche. It’s very new here. Most only rock fish now. It’s going to take time figuring out what we can do with it here. That’s the part that has me so addicted to it.

Upvote 0

jowo

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 9, 2004
    Woodland Hills
    Name
    Johnny
    Boat
    Sold
    Anyone who has been bitten by the SPJ bug has to understand this. The concept behind this lure based fishing method is pure genius. But it does take time on the water and specific gear and skill sets to make it work the way it is supposed to. To me one of the most appealing traits that SPJ has is that we can work the entire water column. The better jigs have the ability to attract pretty much anything that swims. I have found that I live for the telltale line twitch or the moment a jig goes weightless that signals me I have been bit. That moment when the rod takes a deep bend is just classic. I always just want more. More time on the water.....more jigs and gear.......and more of those moments. My name is Jeff...and I have a problem LOL

So what is your deal?
    You pretty much nailed it. My favorite is when you hit bottom, put the reel in gear, lift up, and the rod doubles over because something ate it right as it hit bottom. And it happens so frequently it's crazy.

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Plus you get to buy and play with a whole bunch of new shiny toys.
    Here gose another 73 rods, I knew I didn't have enough! Thank you for permision to buy MORE!

Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Bobby
    Boat
    Cattle Boats
    It's the same reason why there's so many people obsessed with surface iron fishing. Same thing, to do it properly requires a setup that works together with your jig to be able to cast it well. Same as slow pitch jigging, you have to figure out the cadence that works to get the fish to bite. You have to figure the size jig that is working best for the conditions you're fishing. Once you figure it out, there's probably no better high in the world.

Reactions: dsl
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    SPJ, Anonymous?

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    No better feeling than working that jig and then BOOM, nearly getting the rod ripped out your hand⚡⚡Fishing crack! Hahaha
    Exactly! Or that moment when the jig you are working goes weightless and you reel down on the fish and the rod goes bendo! . :D
    Great stuff.......
    Jeff

Upvote 0