Why is San Diego Bay Closed where LA Bays are not?

PENN

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
When you can’t prove your point, you turn to insults.

mutations Happen and there are different stains going around. The uglier versions appear to be burning out faster,

next You’re going to go to ”its Not proven that you will get antibodies if you get it, and you could get it multiple times”.

if that’s the case, then we’re right back where we started and there is no sense locking everyone down because it won’t matter. It will affect a portion of the population.

The most plausible answer right now comes from Dr. Scott Gottlieb who is a Republican and the Former FDA chief by Trump who has been praised by the both sides.

• Dr. Scott Gottlieb told CNBC on Monday he believes that most people who had the new coronavirus will have "some level" of immunity.
  • "Now how long that immunity lasts, how strong it is, we don't know," Gottlieb said on "Squawk Box."
  • The World Health Organization clarified that it also expects Covid-19 antibodies to "provide some level of protection."
The current information says we believe it should give you some level of protection but we don't know how much and how long it will last. Therefore, we can't assume its a slam dunk that you can't be reinfected.

Even in a bad year when they miss on the flu shot strain, having that less effective vaccine still gives you some protection in reducing severity even if you still get the flu.

In the case of people who recover from COVID-19, some of the ones with strong immune systems may be fully immune but those that don't have strong immune systems may still be susceptible. This is based off of cases in Korea and China where some who they thought fully recovered got it again. It's a small percentage but what the CDC and government doesn't want is for people to automatically assume they can be reckless because 100% immunity is not a given.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
17 Aquasport
Reckless?
Why shut down everything for the "reckless" individuals, what tyrannical Government did you sign up for and why try to convince the rest of us to join you? Ill stop licking doorknobs like I used to since I'm enlightened now by all of this wisdom. I cant believe some of you people even go in the ocean, what if you die someday out there, the water is really deep OMG!!!

Upvote 0

Fight on

will work for fuel!
May 11, 2006
San Diego
Name
Bill
Boat
Grady White Marlin 305
Fishkiller, on the water,
I appreciate you waiting on signs from the virus. The curve has been flattened which is what we all agreed to do. This thing is burning itself out. Time to loosen restrictions, not tighten.

• San Diego County has experienced a 14-day downward trajectory in the number of people with influenza-like illness (ILI) at local emergency departments. From March 16 to April 15, the percent of emergency department visits for ILI dropped from 10% to 3%.
  • San Diego County must register a downward trajectory of COVID-like syndromic cases reported within a 14-day period. This trend has varied but has been declining in recent days.
  • The number of positive cases of COVID-19 in comparison to the number of tests administered over a 14-day period is in a downward trajectory. Since April 6, San Diego County has experienced a decreasing percentage in positive COVID-19 tests among San Diegans.
  • The local health care system has been able to handle the number of patients needing hospitalization for COVID-19 and other illnesses and diseases. Currently, hospital capacity remains stable.
I agree, this is more about Gavin Newscum’s ego being hurt that his children are not minding him than it is about the statistics!
We are going to see a big push back on this Gov. over reach this weekend!

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
The point is that their is precedence for the government to suspend some normal freedoms we have under emergency situations for the perceived good of the country.

While I believe the US had better ways to monitor the Japanese in WW2, I can understand why they felt it was necessary with the information that they had at the time. Being empathetic is different than being sympathetic. It doesn't mean I support something but can see how someone can come to that conclusion that it's the right thing to do. We have a divided country because many people these days lack the ability to see the issues from both sides.

And yes, there is caution for an overreach but where that line is up to interpretation. Saying you can't go to the beach for another 15 days because of a public health crisis is different than saying we've taken away your right to vote or you can be arrested without probable cause.
I mostly agree with this, I’m just worried that they have no incentive to unwind bad policy if they messed up overcorrecting in the first place. Political embarrassment is suicide for both sides, which is why both sides keep getting more extreme and doubling down.

Most experts and rational people can see that not allowing people to use the outdoors doesn’t make sense, so long as they can practice social distancing and wear masks when it makes sense to do so, especially in tight quarters when short term social distancing isn’t possible, like a path to the beach, stairwells, etc.

Seems like the beaches are being used as a wedge issue between OC conservatives and the Governor.

Reactions: Mikehoncho92101
Upvote 0

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
I mostly agree with this, I’m just worried that they have no incentive to unwind bad policy if they messed up overcorrecting in the first place. Political embarrassment is suicide for both sides, which is why both sides keep getting more extreme and doubling down.

Most experts and rational people can see that not allowing people to use the outdoors doesn’t make sense, so long as they can practice social distancing and wear masks when it makes sense to do so, especially in tight quarters when short term social distancing isn’t possible, like a path to the beach, stairwells, etc.

Seems like the beaches are being used as a wedge issue between OC conservatives and the Governor.

Ideally, they would have sufficient law enforcement to make sure that the bad actors at the beach are kept in-line by fining them or making them leave. They would have a capacity limit to ensure that once the limit of social distancing is met, they can turn away people.

Why would they close the beaches rather than implement what I just suggest above to not hurt people who do abide by the safety regulations?

1. It requires a significant amount of law enforcement and with the limited number of officers they may have, is the beach access and enforcement a relative priority...probably not. It's a nice to have.

2. Is there an EASY way to count and limit the number of people at the beach at the same time like the number of people that enter a grocery store. Not really.

I'm sure the state said look, if people can't be trusted to abide by the rules, it's far easier to restriction their access for another two weeks.

Upvote 0

JimmH

Captain
Jun 23, 2003
Rancho Bernardo-San Diego
instrumentengineers.com
Name
Jimm
Boat
98 Grady White 228; Cobra Maurader kayak
because LA is LA
and San Diego is San Diego..... we want less dead fishfermen from the virus...stay the fuck home....
but please have a wonderful day....

On the head. They wanted people just to stay home. No real logic, just the most brute force methods across the board. It is the first time in history that we quarantined the healthy, after all.

Another example... Read the State of CA rule on masks resoning :
How well do cloth face coverings work to prevent spread of COVID-19?

There is limited evidence to suggest that use of cloth face coverings by the public during a pandemic could help reduce disease transmission. Their primary role is to reduce the release of infectious particles into the air when someone speaks, coughs, or sneezes, including someone who has COVID-19 but feels well. Cloth face coverings are not a substitute for physical distancing and washing hands and staying home when ill, but they may be helpful when combined with these primary interventions.

There's good hard science for you.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
1. It requires a significant amount of law enforcement and with the limited number of officers they may have, is the beach access and enforcement a relative priority...probably not. It's a nice to have.
I cant speak for all beaches but they had lifeguards and cops on the beach (not near the beach) by my house making sure no one went down there. I understand the concern but I'm not buying it. You might need some cops down there to weed out the bad seeds, but most everyone has been better than expected. Also it's sort of a BS cop out by the government. These are our facilities and areas, the rationing of them because they aren't ready is crap, people need jobs, hire some hall monitors if you are that worried about it.

2. Is there an EASY way to count and limit the number of people at the beach at the same time like the number of people that enter a grocery store. Not really.

I don't think it ever got to that level. Even the so-called incriminating photos were not even incriminating if people didn't read the headline and just looked at the picture. Also, a lot of those people came from many of the closed beaches, so open more up and spread people out more.

I'm sure the state said look, if people can't be trusted to abide by the rules, it's far easier to restriction their access for another two weeks.
That's the problem, we don't need a nanny state. Give people the info and let them make their own choices to the greatest extent practical. Another 2 weeks was 2 weeks ago, and might be 2 more, or more, or more into the future. I still don't see any good reason why out door activities with good spacing and some masks cant solve this problem.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive..." C.S. Lewis

Upvote 0