Why I don’t buy dillon

jsquez

master backlasher
  • Jun 8, 2015
    Name
    jesse
    Boat
    Seacraft 20
    So yesterday I went to a estate sale and seen a dillon press.. I knew it was one of the cheaper presses just from the look of it... I’ve never been big on progressive presses ( I have a 550 I don’t even use ) but decided to ask how much anyway... so i ask the guy and he said 25 bucks... it came with 2 extra plates and a powder drop... the press was set up for 41 mag completely useless to me... so I get home look up it’s a square b and the dies they are running about 110 a set so for me to do 9mm 38 357 10mm 45acp I would be around 600 for the dies would still need 2 more plates and 3 powder dispensers... looking close to a grand... and this is why i don’t fuck with dillon

F12F4C18-02C6-4121-BF0F-D00236DD3510.jpeg

85DE7707-4A50-4094-8528-DA8E28574EBB.jpeg

Garrison

Garrison
    May 21, 2008
    Temecula
    Name
    Garrison
    Boat
    Mikelson 43’

Ponsness/Warren progressive that I have rebuilt twice for the shotgun, and a Lee turret with a digital powder measurer for the rifle here.​

That’s a lot of coin for the part of the hobby that is supposed to save a few bucks.​

Last edited:

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    So yesterday I went to a estate sale and seen a dillon press.. I knew it was one of the cheaper presses just from the look of it... I’ve never been big on progressive presses ( I have a 550 I don’t even use ) but decided to ask how much anyway... so i ask the guy and he said 25 bucks... it came with 2 extra plates and a powder drop... the press was set up for 41 mag completely useless to me... so I get home look up it’s a square b and the dies they are running about 110 a set so for me to do 9mm 38 357 10mm 45acp I would be around 600 for the dies would still need 2 more plates and 3 powder dispensers... looking close to a grand... and this is why i don’t fuck with dillon

View attachment 1269511

View attachment 1269512
    Did you buy the $25 press? Does Dillon use standard dies?

Last edited:

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None

It depends on which model. The 750XL, 650XL and 550RL uses standard die. Using the Dillion carbide dies for pistol calibers is slightly better. It really depends on what brand of dies you are comparing them to. They are better than Lee dies, but the Redding dies are much better. The Dillon carbide dies does make it smoother to resize the cartridge.

The SDB uses special die set from Dillon so jsquez is stuck with dillon dies on this reloader. I think the resizing dies are special because its compact so the resizing die is also used for the powder drop through the middle. The good part is that if he bought it for $25, he scored big time. You can easily resale the parts in eBay and make way more than 10x your money back. The powder drop set is worth $99 itself. The Dillon strong mount is almost $85 new. The primer early warning kit is $30.

I honestly don't see why it could cost you another $1K to convert when you can get an brand new Square Deal B set with the caliber you want for around $500 from the factory. The 45ACP caliber is on backorder, but it lists for $489.99 before shipping/tax. Instead of just buying what he needs, I think he is buying a conversion kit which has the top plate and other redundant parts that is not needed for a full conversion. If you plan to switch calibers quickly, buying the conversion set makes more sense. You just swap the top plate with all the dies preset and maybe change the primer parts if its different and you are done. If not, you can just buy the dies and a couple of other parts and take out the 41 mag dies. The primer should be large so there is no changes needed. I know some 45ACP cartridges uses small primers, but they are just a pain in the ass to sort out.

He is better off selling the parts and using the money to update the RL550 to reload the calibers you want. Every reloader has its advantages and disadvantages. No point in knocking on a good US company that has been around supporting the industry.

If he is really that unhappy about the purchase, I would take it off of him for $25. I don't know why he is calling wolf unless he meant it as a sarcasm that he scored big time on a Dillon reloader for $25. You can move these machines fast at the right price in today's ammo hoarding environment. With Biden getting ready to sign more gun control manifestos, the market will only get hotter.

Where is jsquez located?

Last edited:

jsquez

master backlasher
  • Jun 8, 2015
    Name
    jesse
    Boat
    Seacraft 20
    I honestly don't see why it could cost you another $1K to convert when you can get an brand new Square Deal B set with the caliber you want for around $500 from the factory. The 45ACP caliber is on backorder, but it lists for $490 without shipping
    So the die sets are 104 x 5 = 520
    Powder dispenser 105 x 3 = 315
    Tool heads 40 x 2 = 80
    That is 915 without tax or shipping that’s were I got the 1000
    Going your route I would end up with 4 more presses to do the 5 calibers... anyway not sure what I am going to do yet may sit on it see if some die sets come up cheap on eBay...

And not knocking dillon but on this specific press they got u by the balls

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    So the die sets are 104 x 5 = 520
    Powder dispenser 105 x 3 = 315
    Tool heads 40 x 2 = 80
    That is 915 without tax or shipping that’s were I got the 1000
    Going your route I would end up with 4 more presses to do the 5 calibers... anyway not sure what I am going to do yet may sit on it see if some die sets come up cheap on eBay...

And not knocking dillon but on this specific press they got u by the balls

I'm not saying its the best press either. I don't know what came with the purchase but in the picture it looks like you have a powder dispenser mounted, and an extra powder dispenser on the table. You don't need the tool heads since it already has one. Since you don't plan to reload for 41 mag, you take the 41 mag dies off the current plate, get the reloading dies for the 45acp and adjust them to the proper position.

I don't have this particular press so I can't give you the details in a step by step. I have a dillon XL650 press, but if you're doing pistol calibers, the Square Deal B is better in terms of faster caliber changes.

I don't know where you get your quotes from, but this is from Dillon web site. The 45 ACP is on backorder due to demand, but I would hold off until its available instead of paying through the teeth because its in short supply right now. It doesn't sound like you are in a rush to reload for 45 ACP at this moment if your RL550 is sitting idle. Its not the right time to BUY anything ammo related at this point. Its a great time to SELL if you have items you don't need it.

If its my choice, I would sell this machine and make a profit and buy the right dies for the RL550 and call it a day. You shouldn't invest more into this machine if you don't plan to use it that much. Its really meant for someone who can't afford the bigger Dillon machines but want to have a progressive reloader made in the USA and supported by a company with a legendary reputation. They don't make the greatest machines in the world, but their support has been nothing but stellar. The only company I see that level of support and commitment to their products is Bennett Marine.

The stock Dillon powder drop are a bit rough on the inside. However, I polish my powder dies, the powder drop parts, add in baffles. Now I can get down to .1 to .2 grain accuracy and better on pancake powder like 700X or even Varget stick powders. These are almost impossible to meter accurately on many of my other powder droppers including the ones from Redding. The 700X is notorious, but I think 800X is worse. Thank goodness I never had to deal with that. Every machine has its tricks to get it to work at its best if you are willing to spend the time on it.

1617594292400.png

Last edited:

jsquez

master backlasher
  • Jun 8, 2015
    Name
    jesse
    Boat
    Seacraft 20
    See I am looking at it as the only press I would use for pistol... as it seems to be faster then my 550 and I only have that set up for 1 caliber as well but also have 3 tool heads for that.. regardless if I plan to do that I would need 10mm 45acp 9mm 357 38spl... so I would need all of those dies 3 powder dispensers and 2 more plates because it came with 3...

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    See I am looking at it as the only press I would use for pistol... as it seems to be faster then my 550 and I only have that set up for 1 caliber as well but also have 3 tool heads for that.. regardless if I plan to do that I would need 10mm 45acp 9mm 357 38spl... so I would need all of those dies 3 powder dispensers and 2 more plates because it came with 3...

It may be faster to change caliber, but you have to deal with other issues with the press. Personally, I have about 6 machines, but only one progressive. I reload for high accuracy loads so I use my RCBS Chargemaster for accurate rifle powder charges and use my Forester Co-Ax press for most of my rifle seating/resizing. Its very accurate and very repeatable for rifle rounds. I still have a smaller lee press that I use to decap primers so I can use my wet tumbling to clean the casings. Its more work than a reloader, but its needed for accuracy.

I use my Dillon mainly to crank out the 9mm and 45ACP for pistol rounds. It has come a long way and I put a lot of money into upgrading the press to get it dialed in. I bought a Mr Bulletfeeder but haven't used it yet.

The progressive reloader is mainly for high volume and lower accuracy rounds. Once I set it up for a caliber, I don't want to touch it really. I just crank out about 10K rounds and set it up for another caliber so I don't need to deal with it for a while again.

Either way, you still scored on that purchase. Well done.

Last edited:

jsquez

master backlasher
  • Jun 8, 2015
    Name
    jesse
    Boat
    Seacraft 20
    Im in the same boat brotha... I have 4 rcbs single stage set up 2 rc for sizing and seating and a rs and a jr for decaping... the only progressive press I run is my Texan st for 12 gauge.. and I still fill great about the purchase.. who wouldnt

newmar

Almost A Member
    Jun 10, 2005
    spring valley
    Name
    bruce
    Boat
    23 blackman /Polkboat

Ponsness/Warren progressive that I have rebuilt twice for the shotgun, and a Lee turret with a digital powder measurer for the rifle here.​

That’s a lot of coin for the part of the hobby that is supposed to save a few bucks.​

While I own other presses, the SDB I have used is for for 9's and 45's. The swap consists of the caliber and primer size. I don't find setting up a different cal to be a chore.[ 40 bucks for an additional tool head if you are concerned. } Powder readjustment takes 5 min.
    I wore the first one out, and for 65. bucks plus outgoing freight they sent it back good as new. It is the only progressive I have.
    Warranty on broken parts is solid . I have f'd up stuff and they have replaced them- no questions.

Upvote 0