Why don't we fish with tuna crabs?

john e.

Aug 26, 2012
alta loma
Name
john
Boat
any
I dont know perhaps theyre too small to be an effective bait, or maybe theyre just too hard to get

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
I remember people bringing crawdads out on cattle boats when I was a kid, '83 El Nino.

Reactions: Bill W

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
Tuna crabs are VERY soft after they die and hard to keep on the hook - but we did scoop up a bunch and dropper looped them in La Jolla kelp - as with crawdads they worked awesome on sheephead.

Reactions: cortezpirasea

garety

wishin i was fishin
Feb 23, 2012
Red Bluff
Name
garet
Boat
t15
They don't fly line very well.

As I understand they are about 3/4 of an inch long, and the tuna feed on swarms of them rather than just individuals.

That said perhaps there are Lures that could be made to imitate a swarm, but I think you would have a difficult time catching a 100 lb fish on a hook sized for a 3/4 inch crab.

Reactions: Brad I and Bill W

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
Name
Pat
Boat
Hobie kayak
From Wikipedia:
Pleuroncodes planipes, sometimes called the pelagic red crab (or simply "red crab"), tuna crab or langostilla, is a species of squat lobster from the eastern Pacific Ocean.
Pleuroncodes planipes is a bright red animal, up to 13 centimetres (5.1 in) long. It resembles a
lobster, but has a shorter abdomen.

It's interesting that these exist only southwest of San Diego. The species of tuna that gorge on them, of course, have far wider ranges.

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Use them. many time you can just scoop up loads of them.

Johnlgarrison

The ultimate goal is memories not dreams.
Jul 27, 2009
Temecula CA USA!
www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
Name
Johnny Garrison
Boat
Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
Way, Way, Way back when (1983) the Tuna Crabs invaded Catalina. The fish gorged themselves on them. My Brother in law and I went out and netted hundred of pounds of them. We thought we could freeze them and use them later as bait. We bagged them up in one gallon Zip locks. Well they don't freeze well, we ended up with bags of Tuna Crab Parts. They crumbled in my hands, I took a handful and tossed it out making the statement this stuff is shit, it fell apart. Well about 30 seconds the Calico's started to foam they went nuts! We tied on a Twin T root beer with red metal flake plastic lure and caught one after another. We continued to chum the pieces and throw plastics. We ended up the day with about 100 calicos each. Good Memories

BiggestT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
From Wikipedia:
Pleuroncodes planipes, sometimes called the pelagic red crab (or simply "red crab"), tuna crab or langostilla, is a species of squat lobster from the eastern Pacific Ocean.
Pleuroncodes planipes is a bright red animal, up to 13 centimetres (5.1 in) long. It resembles a
lobster, but has a shorter abdomen.

It's interesting that these exist only southwest of San Diego. The species of tuna that gorge on them, of course, have far wider ranges.
Could these be the elusive offshore lobster of Bad Dog infamy?

Calishark

Hook UP!!!
Sep 12, 2013
San Diego
Name
Glenn
Boat
Ho
Way, Way, Way back when (1983) the Tuna Crabs invaded Catalina. The fish gorged themselves on them. My Brother in law and I went out and netted hundred of pounds of them. We thought we could freeze them and use them later as bait. We bagged them up in one gallon Zip locks. Well they don't freeze well, we ended up with bags of Tuna Crab Parts. They crumbled in my hands, I took a handful and tossed it out making the statement this stuff is shit, it fell apart. Well about 30 seconds the Calico's started to foam they went nuts! We tied on a Twin T root beer with red metal flake plastic lure and caught one after another. We continued to chum the pieces and throw plastics. We ended up the day with about 100 calicos each. Good Memories
Epic...

So instead of using them as bait we need to chum with them!

LEGENDS

Yogi Bear
May 7, 2011
Lakeside
Name
Sam
Boat
None
Gulp makes a crab, someone needs to slide one back on a jig strike...let us know how it works

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Macdonald

FishinMcNuggets

Fishin fo' Nutrition!
Oct 25, 2010
Hermosa Beach, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
Legend has it that back in the 80's people used red scampi twin tails when the tuna crabs were around. I heard it works. Match the hatch.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Legend has it that back in the 80's people used red scampi twin tails when the tuna crabs were around. I heard it works. Match the hatch.
We used Scampis for everything. Sassy Shads and Scroungers too.
Does anyone else remember Bobo tails that Bobs Bait and Tackle used to sell?
A local guy, Bob Gonzales if I recall correctly, poured them. Used to sell em at Fred Hall too.
That was about 20 years before I heard the term "swimbait".

Reactions: Olddog8 and matta57