Why Does the Pacific Queen Do So Well?

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
I've been fishing on the PQ more times than any other boat with different crews and Capitans since early 2000s albacore, San Diego and Morro Bay. it's always been one if the best fishiest boats out there. I honestly think the boat itself has a lot to do with it.

Upvote 0

Dirk Diggler

• Apr 2, 2018
    Winnipeg, MB., Canada
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    Navigator 165
    My experience compared to other boats I've been on.....the captain wastes no time trying to milk a dry cow, the minute he feels a stop is done he's on the horn to reel in and you're moving. Every time I've been on the PQ other boats nearby are doing long drifts and the Queen is doing surgical strikes, all in the same general area. At the end of the day our numbers were usually double what those other boats brought in, whatever the target species.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

mowitlow

Apr 5, 2010
    So Cal
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    21 ft. Mastercraft
    My answer is Capt.Gavin and his crew know how to put fish on the deck!
    And they have a real passion for doing so!
    And that in turn attracts the better fishermen which also helps the counts go up!
    But it all starts with Capt Gavin!

Reactions: Dirk Diggler
    Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    It's also about having the right gear and agreed on having enough experienced anglers on the trips. If they are going to fish bigger fish and see you get on the boat with undergunned gear, they will tell you to go rent bigger gear. They also have quite a few guests or pinheads, aka ringers, to help with the hook to land ratio. That and Gavin is really good. I had a captain on another boat tell me he had on okay trip, only got 6 fish. The next day he elaborated and said in addition to the 6 caught fish, he had 30 reels spooled on the trip. Clearly the captain was finding the fish but the anglers were unprepared. If the captain tells you to rent bigger gear, go do it.

Upvote 0

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
    AZ.
    Name
    DAN
    Boat
    19ft Bayrunner Baja
    PQ has been one of the top boats for the last 20 years no mater who's been the Captain. Not taking anything away from Gavin. He's Good for sure. Not many boats in the fleet drift like the PQ does and it seems like the boat attracts and holds fish better than most. I believe the Qualifier drifted the same, stern first. I could be wrong.

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0