Why Does the Pacific Queen Do So Well?

Apr 10, 2019
San Pedro, CA
Name
Chris
Boat
La Reina
I watch the fish counts almost daily. One consistent thing I see month over month is that the Pacific Queen almost always brings in big numbers. Do they have some kind of special fish sauce that they put on the hooks? I have never fished that boat, but I’m seriously beginning to consider it. What do you think is special about their operation that makes them so successful?

Upvote 0
Apr 4, 2021
Socal
Name
Kyle
Boat
SailsAnotherDay
Comes down to experience. Captains know where the good spots are at and do an amazing job of searching around with the information they have. Also helps that they are multi day boat so it allows for my time on the water searching and fishing.

Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
Bigtuna
Boat
Parker 2310
One thought... Pacific queen has a good reputation, this is known...does that result in the experienced fishermen choosing that boat over the others? The more experienced fishermen combined with a good captain they will end up outfishing the other boats....

Carl
Carl
You can put a boat full of kooks in the middle of wfo and not put up stellar numbers.
Then again, many of these big ones are fought largely by crew. Passenger reappears for hero pic

Better anglers tend to book in advance on established operations. Also, they get the call for an opening

One hand washes the other
Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    One thought... Pacific queen has a good reputation, this is known...does that result in the experienced fishermen choosing that boat over the others? The more experienced fishermen combined with a good captain they will end up outfishing the other boats....

This. I’ve not seen any noobs with bass gear when the 50lbers are biting. Completely booked until Thanksgiving.

Upvote 0

short-range

Independence
    Jan 3, 2010
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Independence
    This is the right answer.
    Most boats going out had the opportunity to get big numbers if they had a better hook-to-land ratio.
    On the two trips I have been on this BFT season I watched a whole lot of fish lost and if those fish were hooked by anglers that were prepared with the proper gear and ability the counts would be much different.
    I've seen some on the boat lose as many as 7 fish in a row due to fighting the fish too long or gear failure totally boggles my mind.

Reactions: Big_Tuna_
    Upvote 0

Abusaade

Aug 22, 2010
    Compton, Ca
    Name
    Ahmad
    Boat
    none
    This is the right answer.
    Most boats going out had the opportunity to get big numbers if they had a better hook-to-land ratio.
    On the two trips I have been on this BFT season I watched a whole lot of fish lost and if those fish were hooked by anglers that were prepared with the proper gear and ability the counts would be much different.
    I've seen some on the boat lose as many as 7 fish in a row due to fighting the fish too long or gear failure totally boggles my mind.
    So those who fish the Queen have a special certificate that guarantees hook to land ration?
    basically, the Queen is on a good code group, and is chartered by serious guys who fish together and the captain is one hell of a fish killer .

Reactions: jig77
    Upvote 0

Abusaade

Aug 22, 2010
    Compton, Ca
    Name
    Ahmad
    Boat
    none
    That’s a great question. I was always wondered , could that be possible ?
    Well, The Queen is on a good code group , most trips were chartered by group of guys that fish together and know how to fight a big tuna, add to that the captain has proven year after year that he’s king driving the Queen .
    Never been on it, next year for sure

Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
    Dec 23, 2004
    Cyber Sea
    Name
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat
    my blood vessel
    • Other crew members, and skipper ride the PQ.
    • Experienced Skipper
    • good code group
    • the ghost of Eddie McEwen Sr & Jr are still on the boat...
    not truly a fair assessment being some boats are more specialized and target the Big Dawgs and would rather go hero or zero. Marcus on the New Lo Ann loves chasin' the biggies. when he scores HE SCORES, but will risk goin' bust as well... it depends on the group.

be aware that numbers can be deceiving...

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

Dudley613

• May 20, 2015
    Inyotuckee CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
    Agree 100% and I think it’s the same story for the San Diego

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    As mentioned before it’s a combination of experienced captain, crew and most importantly fisherman. I think they have a very dedicated and experienced group of people that fish that boat. I’ve been on 5 multi day trips this season and only limited out on one. However our hook up to casualy rate on all this trips was ridiculously! Especially when the big boys were around. On the last trip during a flat fall trip the ratio was as follows on our last few stops. Seven hook ups one landed, eleven hook ups three landed, five hook ups one landed, three hook ups zero landed. The ratio was just probably as bad during the live bait hook ups.

On a side note, I’ve noticed that BFT are finicky and nosy. When one decides to bite and it is either landed or kept on line near the boat more BFT will hang around the boat and as long as none break off the BFT will continue to bite hence the term plunker bite. On the other hand, when the first few BFT bust off they get scared and take off taking the school with them.

Abusaade

Aug 22, 2010
    Compton, Ca
    Name
    Ahmad
    Boat
    none
    As mentioned before it’s a combination of experienced captain, crew and most importantly fisherman. I think they have a very dedicated and experienced group of people that fish that boat. I’ve been on 5 multi day trips this season and only limited out on one. However our hook up to casualy rate on all this trips was ridiculously! Especially when the big boys were around. On the last trip during a flat fall trip the ratio was as follows on our last few stops. Seven hook ups one landed, eleven hook ups three landed, five hook ups one landed, three hook ups zero landed. The ratio was just probably as bad during the live bait hook ups.

On a side note, I’ve noticed that BFT are finicky and nosy. When one decides to bite and it is either landed or kept on line near the boat more BFT will hang around the boat and as long as none break off the BFT will continue to bite hence the term plunker bite. On the other hand, when the first few BFT bust off they get scared and take off taking the school with them.
    well said

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    I watch the fish counts almost daily. One consistent thing I see month over month is that the Pacific Queen almost always brings in big numbers. Do they have some kind of special fish sauce that they put on the hooks? I have never fished that boat, but I’m seriously beginning to consider it. What do you think is special about their operation that makes them so successful?
    Its like asking why the San Diego Do So Well too?🤔😉

Upvote 0

weeza

Nov 29, 2011
    alta loma,ca.
    Name
    glenn sarpy
    Boat
    none
    • Other crew members, and skipper ride the PQ.
    • Experienced Skipper
    • good code group
    • the ghost of Eddie McEwen Sr & Jr are still on the boat...
    not truly a fair assessment being some boats are more specialized and target the Big Dawgs and would rather go hero or zero. Marcus on the New Lo Ann loves chasin' the biggies. when he scores HE SCORES, but will risk goin' bust as well... it depends on the group.

be aware that numbers can be deceiving...
    love that one, ghost of eddie mc ewen ! fished with eddie back in the 70s he could find those albacore ! The pacific queen one of the most if not the most iconic sportfishing vessel ever ! been doing damage for decades, so what they are doing now comes as no surprise !

Upvote 0

dtf

Apr 16, 2004
    So. Bay Ca
    Name
    David
    Boat
    22ft, Pursuit
    What about this theory. Fished the PQ back in the albacore days one time. Have fished other boats back then a lot. Always seemed like the PQ was top boat of the day - ???.
    When we got to are first spot to fish, was told to start a the stern and follow your bait right up to the bow, flip bait off and go down the DOWN wind side to the back and get new bait.
    The PQ was a converted submarine chaser, sat very high in the water and drifted fast with the wind , and drifted stern first.
    So my theory is you were never soaking your bait very long because of the fast drifts and constantly changing tired bait for FRESH BAIT

Upvote 0

jayyyy

Oct 7, 2008
    NorCal
    Name
    jay
    Boat
    '04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
    From Eddie to Sam and Brian to current ownership, the Queen has always been a hiliner.

Upvote 0