Why do you choose to go out?

Discussion in 'Southern CA Sport Boat Trip Planning' started by zadelstein, May 9, 2017.

1. zadelstein

zadelstein Newbie

Name:
    Zach Adelstein
    Boat:
    None
    Why do you choose to go out on a cattle boat on a certain day? Is it because of the counts the previous day, the weather forecast, just because you can't stand to be home anymore? I have heard a lot of different reasons, and it always interests me to hear what causes the most successful guys to get out. From many captains I have heard those that watch the wind and weather patterns will have much better days than those that watch fish counts. So what do you look for when you pick your day to go fishing?

Fishinrabbit and MaxDrag760 like this.
  2. jeremyv75

jeremyv75 Member

Weather first and counts might determine more of my direction

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3. cortezpirasea

cortezpirasea Pangero

Name:
    Russell
    Boat:
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    The day before "fish counts"... That's after calling the fish reports and staying on top of the "bite pattern" everyday for days.

4. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    I dont fish charter boats much but when I do, I fish captains first, not the boat. Meaning, I would prefer the main captain or a certain captain be running the boat that Im on. Cant emphasize how important that is. Second would be counts. I work so I dont get the luxury of fishing all the time so I want to make sure I get the best chance at them. Sure, call me a count chaser, but I do like catching over fishing. Weather would be next. So for me,….. captain, counts, weather. Just merely an opinion.

5. Contractor.aten

Contractor.aten Member

Name:
    Tito Saldana
    Boat:
    Defiance 290
    Sometimes you just have to get on the boat.. How many times did the boat you were on just go off????? If conditions are ok just get on it and go. Some one has to be on the boat that stops on the big foamers.

6. tunacraze

tunacraze Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Steve Brunton
    Boat:
    The Big Ones
    Weather and counts, then passenger loads to determine what boat. I have the luxury of living in SD where I can hop on any boat I want at any time. My choices are already narrowed down to a few boats from experience. I always take my son or my girlfriend or both and that is why weather and light loads are important to me.

7. Hismosa

Hismosa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    20' Skipjack
    I usually chase the counts..... sadly that doesn't usually work out to my favor.

8. lilrick

lilrick Member

Name:
    Lilrick
    Boat:
    whaler
    You don't have the luxury of waiting til the last minute or a "good count or good weather" when going on multi day trips. Overnighters aren't usually a problem unless it's WFO! So, for me I booked a trip a couple of months ago on a limited load 2.5 er. So, I guess you could say it's a roll of the dice or.... just fishin'.

9. Phat Boat

Phat Boat I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Grady White Marlin 300
    Because i hate people. No one in particular just everyone as a whole. When i go offshore on my boat with a couple friends all that goes away. Thats why i go out.

cortezpirasea likes this.
  10. crabdancer

crabdancer Kook

Name:
    Shannon
    Boat:
    Edgewater
    All creatures are connected. When my wife starts losing her shit it usually means the fish are getting ignorant.

Hasn't failed me once.

11. perrorace

perrorace Newbie

Name:
    dan
    Boat:
    perro
    Because I can...yesterdays fish are todays rumor..weather ???? No if going to blow 30.. But offshore winds are not ever a perfect GUESS by are weather men.. Pick your favorite boat !! Become a Regular and find out much we dont really Know..

12. 998R

998R Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    M
    Boat:
    Outrage

Random.

I was at Day of the docks. Bought a large beer from pointloma seafood. Then bought another large beer and another large and another. Went back for one more beer, asked if I can have another 22 ounce beer. The guy laughed at me, and said I've been drinking 32 ounces?! Sure, give me another!

Was too drunk to take the skiff out to the kelps. So I decided to hop on the San Diego to fish for the day.

Caught a 119lb BFT.

Dad always had a saying "if you don't go, you won't know!"

Good luck picking your days