Why do people fish the groupon boats?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Azarkon, Dec 31, 2017.

1. "all-in"

"all-in" Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    24, Angler, All-In
    I grew up fishing 1/2 day and 3/4 day out of Newport. When the sand bass were going off you would have people fishing around the entire boat. To me it was the norm and I always enjoyed myself. I wasn't in school or working. Now I laugh at it when I am on my own boat.

2. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    when I was a Kid , I used too go 3 times a Week
    on the Matt Walsh , out of San Pedro
    and it was not bad at all,
    now they Pack the boats like Cattle
    and they call them Limited Load
    trips , now its all about the $$$

3. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    I remember a twilight trip in the 90s on the Freelance with 95 people. My buddies and I were in the bow right at the edge. Elbow to elbow all around the boat. We caught 1000+ sandbass that night to 9lbs. Great times.

Now everybody wonders where all the sandbass went? :confused:

4. lkatdpelicanfly

lkatdpelicanfly Lizard Fish Slayer

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Kayak
    I kind of like the Groupon boats now. Not to ride, but because they tend to get all the cheap bargain conscious newbs and concentrate them on a few boats in larger quanitites. That leaves other boats with lighter loads so you pay the regular fare and ride with lighter load captains (the good ones) and have a much better experience because the majority of bargain hunters are all crowded on the groupon boats. But sometimes, the planets align and you get a deal that's too hard to pass up...like a reduced price on groupon by the landing, paired with a code for an additional 20-50% off if you work it right, so you're getting a 3/4 day trip for like 17-$23...kind of hard to pass up. Then either wait for a time on a weekday where it isn't so crowded...or accept it's going to be a tangled, clusterfuck shitshow and do it for the entertainment value.
    On one Groupon trip a few years back I was letting out line on one of my reels to retighten and straighten on the way out to the grounds while the boat was going like 7-8 knots. This group of rent rodders saw me with my line in the water and thought it was time to start fishing so before I know it, 3 of them are dropping their dropper loop rigs back into the prop-wash because they probably saw the groupon ad with the picture of the gold penn international reels trolling at high speed. So half their line goes out as I'm trying to explain to them that it's not time to fish and they need to reel their rigs in. So then they put there reels in gear and you can imagine the fun time they had. They were dragging 8 oz weights and then the force of the line, troll speed, and heavy rigs starts pulling all the line off the rent reels and then snapped off, probably because the line was so old and fucked up. Funny thing is I think they all thought they had hooked up on fish.

5. Paparockcal

Paparockcal Old Dude

Name:
    Rocky Latham
    Boat:
    N/A Now But I had a 21ft Gulf Coast when I lived on the mainland near Galveston, Texas
    I started saltwater fishing late in life on the "cattle boats" off Galveston Island, Texas, bought my own center console, and chartered good Captains to teach me how to fish. Everyone has to start some place.

duckbutter6a likes this.
  6. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Not only NO , but HELL NO. I'm not fishing with the drunk slobs that think they own the corners like some street thug. I can deal with the noobs that don't know better but the "regulars" that are too drunk to own a boat are just A-holes of the highest degree.

That and the whole, "it's customary to give the jackpot back the crew."

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    pacificscout likes this.
  7. crabdancer

crabdancer Kook

Name:
    Shannon
    Boat:
    Edgewater
    People fish on groupon boats because they're people that wouldn't otherwise try fishing. They just see a deal and decide it might be a fun thing to try. They don't check counts or obsess over little things, they just have a day off.

After renting a rod, running up a galley tab, losing jackpot, paying for fish cleaning, and tipping the crew they're much better for business than regular customers.

That's kinda how BD works now. To its credit because it's a business. It's easier to sell hats, shirts, coolers, and mail order brides to a herd of donkeys if we're all in the same corral.

aronht, get some, the SLIDER and 2 others like this.
  8. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    groupon coupon for cattleboats...interesting....lol.... glad I have my own boat....

9. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Doesn't need to be a Groupon discount to gather a crowd. When the word gets out in regard to a hot bite you've got the same deal.

Of the two scenarios, I'd take the first. I should be able to out fish the greenhorns and possibly get JP or at least look Superstarish by fishing second row and casting over everyone with a 9' stick on the stern. The worst is angling on an overcrowded Sporty with over-zealous rental roders, it can be quite dangerous.

Back in the day during a twilight boat WFO Sandbass bite, I saw one dude in the galley with jig treble hook through the cheek, another dude with a fully imbedded 6/0 in the thumb, and a chick with a huge linier bloody scratch up her back from a near miss that could have been tragic.
    :jig:

After grabbing my beer from the galley and observing the mayhem, needless to say I had my sunglasses, hat and jacket back on to fish the remainder of the evening.

:hali_olutta:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  10. pukahd

pukahd Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    Screenshot_20180104-184303.jpg Wow..... the New Del Mar fishes 127 !! What a jackpot !!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    carterantebi and jerryl like this.
  11. mindbent

mindbent Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    one that floats
    Oh heLL no.

pukahd likes this.
  12. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    Not that they don't usually load up this boat...but those numbers are combined AM and PM trips.