Why are bad sport boat reviews discouraged?

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak
    I think some of the owners/operators of this website work in the industry, and/or want advertising. Just my opinion, I don’t actually know for sure.

Reactions: Kevin A
    Upvote 0

SSUfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 14, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Eric
    Boat Name
    n/a
    They aren't discouraged.

Rather what is discouraged is someone not bringing up any concerns about safety and service to the captain/owner to make them aware of what you are experiencing before/without giving them an opportunity to rectify it.

It's easy to post a negative review on a website. Many people now-a-days are terrified of any actual in person conflict or accountability. I always suggest to others to speak about facts, not feelings.

So, if you have a valid concern it is OK to share your experience. If someone wants to complain about why they didn't catch fish, those are the ones who should do their fishing at a supermarket.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I think a lot of us have seen how YELP and other opinion sites have created a whole generation of people who think that their own perception of reality is TRUTH. And it may not be anywhere close to the actual situation, when other viewpoints are considered.

As you get more experience in life, interacting with other human beings in various situations, you either get more tolerant of the foibles of others and the vagaries of life itself, or you get cranky and exasperated because things don't go your way. I wore a badge for a while, and saw amazing patience and tolerance in stressful situations, and also saw frustration breed harshness.

But complaining publicly about a personal experience is only rarely effective. Nobody pays more than momentary attention to a pouting child.

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat Name
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    I think it had as much to do with the circus that follows a bad review. There’s a reason why someone always posts a popcorn meme..

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    sunk it
    There are some crappy operations and it’s good to call them out as a warning to others.
    There’s always a group of devils advocates who will argue about anything pretty much because they can so if you post a negative review except some of that.
    If you go out to eat and the food sucks do you go complain to the cook? Most people don’t, they just never go back and tell everyone who will listen that the food sucks. Now days with the internet that can be a lot of people. Kinda of the same with boats

Upvote 0

Lake

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat Name
    none
    Problem is somebody has a bad day and they get online and flame the boats. A lot of times you can tell the complainers really aren’t very good, and don’t know much of what they’re talking about. Last year a guy got on here and flamed a boat because he booked a trip to the Coronados but they ended up fishing the rockpile for most of the day. Others complain because other boats got on schools but theirs didn’t so it’s obviously the captain’s fault. If somebody you know that’s a good stick gets on here and complains you might want to listen. Somebody with few or no previous posts gets on here they’ll get flamed.

Reactions: Tunahead and ripped
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat Name
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    If someone has an opinion about the trip, I do not see any reason they should NOT be able to spout off about it. The reader can decide if it is BS, or if they do not agree with the strategy of the trip. Maybe they do not agree with the items the OP is pointing out. Then they can choose to book it or not. If I read reports of long boat rides with very little fishing time, and it is reported over and over, maybe that strategy is not where I would spend my cash. I have been on sporties and private boats where it is clear that the fishing part, (lines in the water) is not important. Reports on the impression of the condition of the boat seem relevant too. Is the crew engaged, looking for patties? Availability and quality of food and refreshments seems like something reportable too. They all help folks decide if this is the trip they want to book. I guess you don't have to read them if you don't want to?
    And here, I will complain about catching too many fish. After limiting out on a 2 day, and handing off a bunch of fish (including a #135!), I was instructed to keep fishing for "boat limits". When we got in, I tried to give away my extras, but no one wanted any more! I was told by the crew to go ahead and take them-it would be just my luck if I got popped with over limits. I was able to give them away finally, but it was a pain. Nice problem to have. Complaining or observing?

Upvote 0

andrewr

Almost A Member
    Aug 24, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat Name
    None
    This is the place to air your experiences. I want to know what boats cruise a little slower than the rest of the fleet, which boats control the their passengers and their own crew, do the chefs wash their hands after fishing, how hot or cold the bunk room is, and so on.

If I owned a boat, I would monitor feedback here even if it is not my own boat to make adjustments.

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    17' Logic CC
    It’s a free country, everyone has a the right to their own opinion. Having said that, once you address your opinion, you will be subject to other opinions as well.. so be prepared.

If I have a bad trip on a boat, I figure it was me and I try a different boat out the next time. So many different options out there, and so many good/bad posts about endless number of them.

All captains no matter how grumpy they are or how personable they are, want to put you on the fish. To think otherwise, it’s lunacy. All of them have different approaches on how they do that however.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    If you are on a trip and find yourself questioning the decisions the captain is making or made on the trip, time to go find another boat. It’s happened to me a couple of times, and although I know nobody’s perfect, there are options.

Once again, each and every boat in the fleet has its super fans. A loyal following by guys who have been fishing the boat for many trips, many years. You have something negative to say about their favorite boat, sometimes results in a bad outcome. Something from my upbringing was:

“If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.”

Although I don’t fully subscribe to that, I do feel you owe it to the captain/owner to take it up with him before running them down in public.

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat Name
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    I could be completely mistaken but I think it's because they have an annoying tendency to totally suck ass

Besides, I'm not sure they're being actively discouraged

Reactions: sickcat and One_Leg
    Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat Name
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    It’s the “the captain was just driving around” reports that are going to get trashed.

Next time someone feels that way, ask if you can glass for a while on the bridge. Then you can watch the sonar, look for birds and paddy’s, and understand the urgency the captain feels trying to get his customers on fish. It just might change your perspective.

Reactions: Steve K
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat Name
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    If you are on a trip and find yourself questioning the decisions the captain is making or made on the trip, time to go find another boat. It’s happened to me a couple of times, and although I know nobody’s perfect, there are options.

Once again, each and every boat in the fleet has its super fans. A loyal following by guys who have been fishing the boat for many trips, many years. You have something negative to say about their favorite boat, sometimes results in a bad outcome. Something from my upbringing was:

“If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.”

Although I don’t fully subscribe to that, I do feel you owe it to the captain/owner to take it up with him before running them down in public.
    How is describing what took place on a trip "running them down"?

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Latest posts