Who would be interested in fish spotting? (From the air...)

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by FishAbility, Feb 13, 2008.

?

Would you use a fish spotting service?

Poll closed Jun 12, 2008.
  1. Yes

34.9%
  2. No

32.8%
  3. only in prime fishing season

31.9%
  4. year round

3.0%
  5. rather pay per month

13.2%
  6. rather pay a 12 month service

4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FishAbility

FishAbility Captain Fire

Name:
    Mick Fire
    Boat:
    36 Hatteras SportFisher
    thats what i do now... i dont think thats cheating... its just research, just like looking for a good spot on a map, reading the temp charts or running to numbers someone gave you over the radio...

2. spike

spike Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Spike Ivins
    Boat:
    any chance I get
    Using a spotter plane to fish offshore locally would be equivalent to some donkey publishing all the killer seabass spots. :hali_ruahahaha:

3. FishAbility

FishAbility Captain Fire

Name:
    Mick Fire
    Boat:
    36 Hatteras SportFisher
    OK whos ok with this...? I wasnt really thinking of making millions of dollars here, i just thought it would be a cool idea to help some guys out and make some new friends... so how about this... In prime fishing season, or whenever someone wants something looked at from the air (PM me) ill fly around on my dime, take pictures and give lat/lon to some cool spots on the water. post them here FREE for BDrs. thats no different than reading fish reports with details on where they were, bait used, time and water temp right? sometimes there still there, sometimes there not. but its gathering information, and if you decide to use it great. if not, because you feel its wrong, or whatever you feel, then just dont look at it. Honestly im happier making friends on this site than enemys. im just trying to be a part of this community and do my part. i give fish reports good or bad when i get back from a trip, (more to come this year) im down with helping out and giving you BDrs some more info to have a pleasureable fishing trip. we have all been skunked in one way or another, and that feeling of spending hundreds of $$$ in fuel and bait sucks when you get home with nothing to show except a sunburn. Forget paying for it. when i fly to do some looking around for spots before i go, ill post pictures and give locations of cool shit i find. look at it or dont. thats up to you.

4. Jaydog

Jaydog Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Mako 19'

Doesn't sound like it's working to well for you!!! Just kidding sort of but come on man.
    http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/fi...t-dodo-skippys-help-wtf-am-i-doing-wrong.html

It looks like you shark fish more than anything. Well the plane won't work so well for Threshers, and Makos well they are the fastest swimming fuckers in the ocean so bueno suerte.

I still don't mind talking about this and after reading the poll results I discovered that there are excellent fishermen on both sides of this debate but only the ones on the "NO" side are voicing their opinions. Just curious why?

5. the hook

the hook Bluesman

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    21' Sea Pro the Hook
    Mick, I'd love to ride along and glass the water for signs. That would be a blast to be able to get a better idea of the "big picture"

hj

6. FishAbility

FishAbility Captain Fire

Name:
    Mick Fire
    Boat:
    36 Hatteras SportFisher

yeah, so what, i ask for opinions, like i said everyone gets skunked. i had a ground fault, fixed it and the next weekend had a boat full of yellows and 4 dodos over 30lbs. and i DO love to shark hunt. but thats not all. ive had my share of everything out there, from sea bass to marlin. i grew up fishing, and ill die fishing. the stupid ones are the ones that dont ask the questions. im not a pompus prick, never will be. AND I ESPECIALLY will never bag on someone for asking a question. :hali_ruahahaha:

7. FishAbility

FishAbility Captain Fire

Name:
    Mick Fire
    Boat:
    36 Hatteras SportFisher
    im gonna set this up soon, ill pm. im gonna take 3 guys up at a time...

8. Fishpuppet2

Fishpuppet2 Newbie

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    23' trophy

Take Az.monkey out, that boy hates flying with a passion (he's my little brother) and scare the shit out of him

9. Jaydog

Jaydog Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Mako 19'
    Well if you had posted a thread on your good day with some sound advice for the fishermen going out the next day then maybe I wouldn't have linked your skunk report. But you chose not to share that info of your good day fishing. Why? Sharing good dope seems to be what your all about. And don't get me wrong I've had bad day's just ask BigJoe and ParNone. Let's just be real here and ask ourselves what this is all about...

Are you kidding me right now? Hahaha Karl is not only terrified of flying but he has the worst eyesight of anyone I've ever met!!!:hali_ruahahaha:

10. mercerm

mercerm Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    24 skipjack
    put me on that list. Would love to do that....

11. The Notorious S.U.A

The Notorious S.U.A Newbie

Name:
    jorge
    Boat:
    none
    Ive got plenty of right and left seat time, sign me up for this one.

12. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"

Maybe that's because you just counterdicted yourself and basically agreed with my statement that its okay for the Big Boys to use spotter planed to decide a gameplan prior to fish..... but not okay for the Little Guys.

How much $$$$ has to be involed to make it okay to use a spotter plane?

13. murderNmako

murderNmako Capitan

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    24 skipjack
    Hey Mick, dont even worry about these people doubting your accredibility.. I think its a good idea.. Id pay for sure... especially with the current cost of fuel.

14. The Notorious S.U.A

The Notorious S.U.A Newbie

Name:
    jorge
    Boat:
    none

should they worry about his credibility though?

15. jephs422

jephs422 My beetles need food

Name:
    Jeph S
    Boat:
    malibu X-Faxtor
    I wonder if they should worry about his incredibility

16. johnnylite

johnnylite Never too late to change.

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Triumph 210cc
    I think credit worthiness is the key.

17. Jaydog

Jaydog Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Mako 19'
    What the fuck does that word mean? I'm not saying Mick doesn't know how to fly a plane. Mick, I'm sure you are a great pilot and I can never take that away from you.

What I'm saying is that NO pilot with an untrained eye is going to be able to tell you if the fish are biting or not!!! I guess if they are pushing bait out the of the water that is a good sign but you still don't really know how fragile that school is, ie line shy, boat shy, ect... And then how does the untrained eye identify types of fish?

This is my example of "YOU should use the allready available info"....
    Sorry Mick but your my example- So on Sept. 22nd you took your plane out and discovered that there were in fact fish on the 182. Ok well everyone allready knew this!!! You didn't read BD and the reports from the previous two day's cause you were busy spotting fish that everyone allready knew about. Well the gosh darn fish reports said that the fishing was slow on the inside but SW the fish were biting very well. You chose to waste half your day casting at paddies with lockjaw while everyone else went straight to the San Salvador Bank, SCI Buoy and even the E & W Fly. They caught fish and you didn't.

The Moral of the story- Flying your plane out there sounds awesome (I would go). Spotting schooling fish sounds amazing. Just being in a small plane over the ocean sounds great. But reading the previous day's reports of where the fish are biting is hands down better (not more exciting) info and it's free.

So please don't lump all of us "NO" people together. I'm not saying it's cheating, dishonest, or any other scandelous method. I'm saying it's not practical. The Seiners don't need biting fish cause they freaking wrap them in nets, big difference.

18. spike

spike Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Spike Ivins
    Boat:
    any chance I get
    Some folks invest alot of time and money into making sure their boat is always in the best location possible to help them catch fish, some guys do it for a living. To have any wing nut come out and hinder conditions by trampleling all over it who pays a fee is ridiculous. Their are some boat owners who can not even read a chart nor navigate a boat for that matter. You want to fly dudes around on your plane, cool, good for you, sounds fun. But you want to pass out info like lets say..............

".....at "----------" N. "------------" W. their is a sport boat (any boat) all alone knocking the shit out of the fish, not a boat in sight and relativly close to Point Loma for that matter."

Any private boater has the means to catch as much as he wants with all the tools today (not radio fish). Alot of boaters basically just fall asleep once their hull breaks open water, they do not do a dam thing but eat pork rinds or some shit like that. I am the type of angler that knows where I am going before the boat leaves the harbor and once out I am working (working as in searching) through out the day. To sell info like that to folks is ludicrous.

19. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none
    I think you and I are on a similar page.

I have seen firsthand bothsides of the fence.

I think it is fine if you keep it to yourself and a few select friends,yesterdays info is easy to come by anyhow.

And no disrespect to the guys idea,most guys would think that is cool,I just am not one of them.

20. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none