Who would be interested in fish spotting? (From the air...)

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by FishAbility, Feb 13, 2008.

?

Would you use a fish spotting service?

Poll closed Jun 12, 2008.
  1. Yes

34.9%
  2. No

32.8%
  3. only in prime fishing season

31.9%
  4. year round

3.0%
  5. rather pay per month

13.2%
  6. rather pay a 12 month service

4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none
    Yeah but they have a flat spot on their head,drop down jaw,and fold back teeth.:boobies:

2. The Notorious S.U.A

The Notorious S.U.A Newbie

Name:
    jorge
    Boat:
    none

LOL LOL LOL LOL

3. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Im not sure where I was being harsh in my previous reply but regardless I just think this whole idea wreeks of being totally wrong.

Your right about the Marlin guys and the difference being that they are their own crew doing their own thing on that one particular boat. Looking thru those binos nonstop for hours & hours on end is no easy task and to be honest not alot of people can do it, not to mention that it takes time in those binos to really know what you are looking at.

I dont see any comparison in the two as with one you have guys in their own boat looking for their own fish, whereas in the other scenario you have a spotter plane that wishes to give out info to a unknown number of boats on the water when he spots something whether it be a paddie/current break/swordie or marlin.

Here is my take:

Conversing by boat to your buddies = good

Conversing by Cell = good

Now this one may rile everyone up, but I will go as far as to say even conversing to your own buddie who may be flying over the water on a particular day would be cool.

It's the idea of suddenly having a pilot or pilots buzzing around and giving out dope to a mass amount of payed subscibers that just totally turns my stomach barf

This sport needs this like it needs a hole in its head, it doesnt!

My gawd you guys, get the gratification of sifting thru the already available info you can get and sniff those fish out on your own from the info that is already available to you right now.

:pee: on this idea.

The unknown fisherman:p:

4. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    Here is a twist on this:

So does this mean I cannot use a spotter plane during the upcoming Yellow tail tourney? :rofl:

Think about it... I spend $650.00 for a spotter plane to win a first fish jackpot of $2500.00. Sounds like good business to me. :urno1:

5. the hook

the hook Bluesman

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    21' Sea Pro the Hook
  6. The Notorious S.U.A

Name:
    jorge
    Boat:
    none
    if you wanna go that route, i have a friend who has a 208B caravan with the floats on it. wait at the start for the tourney, fly to cedros, put a couple 50 lb'ers in the boat, fly back for the weigh in.
    dont even need an airport, just taxi up to the weight station

7. marlyn

marlyn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    is a spotter plane cheating?how about a computer or a fish finder?what about stabilized binos?gps?should we all go back to rowing dorys?the times they are a changing and theres not one fucking thing you or i can do about it whether we like it or not.i beleive there are laws in some fish and game codes making it illegal to hunt within 24 hours of flying,maybe it should be the same for fishing?if its illegal for the recreational guys it should be for the commercials too though.i wonder how those super seiners would do without their helicopters and spotter planes.

8. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Damn! Right when I thought we were agreeing on all of this you wrote that LOL.

I could have went without saying this and I probably would have been safe but since I cant keep my mouth shut for the moment I will just continue to spill the beans.

I think tourny boats that wish to fly a spotter BEFORE the tournament is quite alright. Most all should know as it is no secret that Lasley on team BadCompany has mooch spotter plane info at his fingertips. The dudes talent and knowledge on the water is flatout incredible and he as well as others will use this info prior to a tourney to decide their gameplan.

I myself went up in a plane one year as the owner had me flown over to catalina for the tourney and on the way I was to take down numbers of promising spots. This was one day before the tourney and IMO there is nothing wrong with doing this as long as there is NO spotter plane help during the tourney. I personally have not and will not never ever EVER participate nor cheat in any tournament!!!! I dispise cheating and hate it with a passion.

I already know what some are thinking here, but this is entirely different than what this initial post was about. It might take a while to figure it out, but think about it.

9. sdangler

sdangler Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    USS Drum SSN 677

Hunters already "cheat" by putting out feed and setting up tree stands. This brings the deer to them and they are well hidden.

10. The Notorious S.U.A

Name:
    jorge
    Boat:
    none
    fishermen put out a chumline....

11. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Some of you are really really missing the point here.

12. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    Cheat: 1. A person who cheats or defrauds. 2. To deceive. 3..To take unfair advantage of. To violate rules or regulations.

So the way I understand it, it not cheating unless the rules say specifically you cannot do something.

13. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none

That is the only thing we disagree on ,but like I said,"during a tourney"I made a comment.

I like your input,but you are right ,it will take a while to figure out.

There are way more planes and info to boats going around than you can possibly imagine.One of my best friends is the harpooner on a very elite so.cal. stickboat.

14. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    And we do the same fishing Mark.

I am not a hunter (on land that is) but as George stated we use chum, we create the illusion of lots of bait behind the boat, and some even go as far as doing things to the bottom of their boats to make it look like a baitball. Cheating? Naa, not in my eyes anyways.

Maybe I should start also painting the tails of the marlin we release, again in flourecent orange so that firstimers will have an easier time spotting a tailer! Point being you gotta draw a line somewhere to where its getting a bit out of hand and going overboard, and the origin of this post is definetely doing that IMO.

15. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none
    It is not cheating unless you get caught right?Or should I say ,make any type of contact with a commercial boat or plane while in a tourney?

16. spike

spike Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Spike Ivins
    Boat:
    any chance I get
  17. Kurt

Kurt Mistadobalina

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    %%%%%
    Oh no you didnt...........

:1041677399:

:urno1:

18. the hook

the hook Bluesman

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    21' Sea Pro the Hook
    Hey, Mike, Is there a rule against using a submarine to spot buts in your tourney..............yet?LOL

19. Kurt

Kurt Mistadobalina

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    %%%%%
    Should we be testing the winners for HGH?

20. Jaydog

Jaydog Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Mako 19'
    For one Pre & Post season fishing are my favorite times. The search is way more compelling and it's almost like cracking the code to a great murder mystery. Please don't spoil that with 10,000 boats knowing exactly where the fish are from day 1. Those first few weeks of a season where most guy's won't run cause they are unsure are the day's that we willing fishermen get all alone or we share with one other boat.

Once the first few fish are caught the Sporties run practically every day. We are allready overwhelmed with fish reports on BD. Take a look back at last years threads and ask yourself at what point did you not know where the Albacore were. Titles like "Just another albacore report" were hogging the front page with the exception to some bad/windy weather here and there last season. And the day's that were not good were due to fish not biting, boat pressure, ect...

So my point is that the resources are allready available. The Spotter plane idea is a waste of money and a loss of dignity IMHO.

As far as kelp paddys, well shit I don't mind taking #s from friends who went out and payed their dues but my point is the word "friends", we have all worked hard to make the fishing friends/connections that we have. I'm an ass though and have never been that guy to call in permission to fish a paddy with an unknown boater, I keep going knowing that my crews hard work will pay off in the long run.

And like Mike I agree Tommy's reports are perfect. "The fish are moving in from..., The fish are stuck around here...., Spots here and there... Kelps holding South... Nice fish under paddies use glitter and go deep..."- And the point being it's free!!!

Side Note- If this season totally sucks (which it won't) and the sporties are at the docks It's probally cause there aren't any fish around.

OK and from a business stand point- If this "Plane Club" has 100, 200, 300, or even 50 members there is absolutely NO WAY to keep the info hush hush. Leaky lips alway's prevail and the few that pay will learn the hard way. Or a group of 10 friends will sign 1 guy up and share the info so your 100 members just turned into 1,000. AWESOME!!!

I will admit at one point before I was able to process the full effects I thought that this was a decent idea so I am not "BASHING" just expressing my feelings...