pascuale

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 14, 2004
Tampa/San Diego
Name
Ethan
Boat
nope
Looking for updated recommendations on fishing operations, captains, hotels, restaurants in La Paz.
Thanks

styxchaser

VERY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
Jonathan Roldan at TailHunters. I have fished with them over a dozen times. Totally reliable and honest.

styxchaser

VERY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
RESTAURANTS

One of my favorite places to eat in LP is Asadero Rancho Viejo. I think they have 2 locations. Their asada is good and plentiful, and there are a lot of sides available. There are a many other entres, but I always wind up with the asada. Baked papas are really good with a nice nutty flavor. (I'm not much of a rice and beans guy.) Beer is always cold.

Tailhunters has their own restaurant. Food is good, but it gets a little crowded and noisy for me, but I'm old and grouchy.

There is a good Chinese restaurant south on the Malecon, but I can't remember the name. Been there for many years. Jonathan or his wife Jill can give you the name.

Hotel

Several resort type hotels but I avoid them. They tend to be a little outside of town and Taxi rides aren't that cheap. I really like LP and it is a great town to walk around and see the shops and the locals.

My favorite hotel in town is La Perla. It's clean and faces the Bay...walking distance to most of the town. Make sure you get the reduced rate which was about $57 per night the last time I was there. Google it and check prices. https://www.hotelperlabaja.com/

Boats

I don't know any specific boats or guides anymore (turnover is pretty high), but if you like to do things yourself fish a Panga. You are in open air, you can tie your own knots (I never like somebody else to tie mine) bait your hook if you want, etc. You also form more of a relationship with the Pangero than with a cruiser Capitan, especially if you try speaking a little Spanish. You don't have to speak much proper Spanish. They appreciate your trying even if you make a fool of yourself. If you try Spanish they will usually be less reluctant to try their English.

Also, if you take snacks, take enough for the Pangero. Same with cold drinks, but non-alcoholic for the Pangero.

Reactions: pascuale

pascuale

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 14, 2004
Tampa/San Diego
Name
Ethan
Boat
nope
RESTAURANTS

One of my favorite places to eat in LP is Asadero Rancho Viejo. I think they have 2 locations. Their asada is good and plentiful, and there are a lot of sides available. There are a many other entres, but I always wind up with the asada. Baked papas are really good with a nice nutty flavor. (I'm not much of a rice and beans guy.) Beer is always cold.

Tailhunters has their own restaurant. Food is good, but it gets a little crowded and noisy for me, but I'm old and grouchy.

There is a good Chinese restaurant south on the Malecon, but I can't remember the name. Been there for many years. Jonathan or his wife Jill can give you the name.

Hotel

Several resort type hotels but I avoid them. They tend to be a little outside of town and Taxi rides aren't that cheap. I really like LP and it is a great town to walk around and see the shops and the locals.

My favorite hotel in town is La Perla. It's clean and faces the Bay...walking distance to most of the town. Make sure you get the reduced rate which was about $57 per night the last time I was there. Google it and check prices. https://www.hotelperlabaja.com/

Boats

I don't know any specific boats or guides anymore (turnover is pretty high), but if you like to do things yourself fish a Panga. You are in open air, you can tie your own knots (I never like somebody else to tie mine) bait your hook if you want, etc. You also form more of a relationship with the Pangero than with a cruiser Capitan, especially if you try speaking a little Spanish. You don't have to speak much proper Spanish. They appreciate your trying even if you make a fool of yourself. If you try Spanish they will usually be less reluctant to try their English.

Also, if you take snacks, take enough for the Pangero. Same with cold drinks, but non-alcoholic for the Pangero.
Excellent info thank you! Will check out La Perla.

styxchaser

VERY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
If you are in SD this time of year, check out the Fred Hall Show in either LB or Del Mar. Tailhunters will be there. They run the most professional service I have dealt with in Mexico.

Jonathan and Jill are really nice people and are very helpful and knowledgeable. Jonathan moved from LA to Baja many years ago and his wife Jill married him and moved from the USA to LP maybe 10 or 15 years ago. I have known Jonathan for more than 20 years.

a7ewizard

Jun 4, 2009
SAN RAFAEL,CA USA
Name
WARREN WEISENBURG
Boat
251,PRO-LINE, WIZARD
Fishing this time of year is iffy because of the North winds. I was able to fish just 2 days during my last stay of 2 weeks ( I have a CC there) over New Years.

Baja Pirates runs a good operation out of La Paz. Tailhunter can run you out of Muertos Bay, which offers more protection from the winds. Also a short run to the South end of Cerralvo Island and very good fishing.

Mcfishers for excellent fish, shrimp, mantareya tacos. Their daily grilled fish, usually YT, served with a fruit and greens vinaigrette salad is as good of a lunch you will find anywhere. Of course they will happily prepare your catch for you also. Closed Mondays and after 6pm daily.
Tres Virgenes for lunch and dinner. Great beef. Interior courtyard and more upscale. Both places are a couple blocks back from Malecon (water front walk) but ez walk.

Tex Burger, La Perla and Vrentinos (El Morro Hotel) are all good eats and are on the Malecon.

Snorkel with whale sharks. Picnic at Balandra Bay. Visit Tecolote beach and enjoy cervesas and a snack at one of the mariscos on the water. Walk the Malecon or wind your way along the old downtown. Rent a paddle board.....