Who says Bonito isn't good eatin'?

Charts

Nothing demonstrates hope better than fishing.
Aug 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Charts
Boat
arima sea explorer 16
I recently caught another, a bit smaller than the one in the pic. Wasn't ready to eat it, so froze it. I'll report in how we do on freezing. It was bleed on the water and I tried to freeze it mostly without a bunch of juices. I'll report how it goes.

Highwayman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 25, 2015
Name
Sammy
Boat
None
I smother my Bonita in mackerel paste and BBQ ;-)

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
Grew up in so cal fishing for bones. I love those damn things. Require a lot of care but the payoff is just fine. I'm not going for the better than yellowtaill part of this, but I still cook those up as they were on the City of Redondo back in the 70's man that was good, hot pan, Worcestershire, and chopped onions, bell pepper if you got one.

Reactions: Kareem Korn

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
For whatever reason, I seem to catch bonito...a lot. I've tried it a couple of times, but never liked it too much because it was a little too oily for me. I love to eat what I catch but I have given away more bonito in the past year.

This summer, I took my daughter on a 3/4 day trip to Catalina. On the way out, we were in the galley and this same conversation came up between about 12 of us. Eventually, the cook chimes in and starts telling everyone the best way to cook a bonito was on a plank. We all got quiet and listened intently as the cook starts describing in great detail how you fill the cavity of the bonito with all types of herbs, put it on a cedar plank, wrap the plank and the bonito in foil, and bury the whole thing in bbq coals for 28 minutes.

I was so interested in learning how to cook a bonito and who better to take advice from that a cook on a fishing boat, right? Most of you know what he said next, he finished the recipe by telling us...

After waiting 28 minutes, take out the bonito, unwrap the foil, throw the fish in the trash and eat the plank!! The whole galley let out a roar of laughter, including me. I will make sure to bleed the next bonito I catch and put in ice or eat it sashimi style. Hopefully I wont be let down. Thanks for inspiring me to give bonito another try.

fishstomp

Picaroon
Aug 11, 2008
ɐsn ɐɔ 'pןǝıɟsɹǝʞɐq
Name
Doug
Boat
18' Seaswirl
Bonito caught on a 1/2 day or 3/4 day boat and tossed in a burlap sack are awesome! Because if you have a concrete job coming up and need something to hold the forms in place, they're perfect! Just hammer them into the ground and tie off your 2x6s to them.

e_briz

Nov 6, 2007
Ramona
Name
Eddie
Boat
12,raft,Huck
You didn't catch any "Corbina" at the Islands. They don't exist there. Ever. Under any circumstances.
Thank you for reading my post in it's entireity Jeff, It was actually a whitefish, just always wonder if anyone really reads the body or just the headline.

Back to lurking........

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
Best sashimi and poke I ever had was fresh caught bonita.

Chicago Pete

Jan 17, 2012
Homewood
Name
Peter D Womack
Boat
None
When I was a kid, fishing out of Redondo during the 70's the main catch were Bonito. Where did they go. Back then anchovies were the only bait. Was it the resurgence of the sardines? I've been away from SoCal for 35 years...

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
When I was a kid, fishing out of Redondo during the 70's the main catch were Bonito. Where did they go. Back then anchovies were the only bait. Was it the resurgence of the sardines? I've been away from SoCal for 35 years...

The bones were gone for a long time. I would say about 5-6 years ago, they made a strong showing in the local inshore waters, and around Cat. Nothing huge. 1-3 pounders...then about a year after that the bigger grade came in. 3-10 pounders. Then the next season they seemed to disappear again.....with catches here and there. This year, they seem to be around in decent numbers, with the average size about 2 pounds and a few 5-8 pounders in the mix.

I fished cat a few times over the last few weeks, and the 3-5 pounders were a pest while we fished for YT, but the newbs enjoyed catching them on the light tackle.

With regards to table fair.....I don't think they taste better than YT, but like others have said, treat the catch right, and it makes good sashimi.

Reactions: Chicago Pete

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Redondo back in the days had a warm water current running through it from the local power station year round. That's what allowed the bonito to live there even in the winter. The locals tell me that this is no longer the case so the bonito only move in during warm water years, which this year, despite the recent drop in temperature, has been, and so they are/were around as of last week.

Sardines work fine for bonito as I've caught more than my share of them on sardines. But like tuna and yellowtail they are very sensitive to water temperature so you only get a lot of them when the water is warm.

As for how to cook them, raw or almost raw is the only way to go in my experience. Any bonito I fry or leave long in the oven turn out to be like mackerel and that's a waste of the fish.

Reactions: Chicago Pete