Who says Bonito isn't good eatin'?

Charts

Nothing demonstrates hope better than fishing.
  • Aug 22, 2015
    San Diego
    Name
    Charts
    Boat
    arima sea explorer 16
    Yesterday I caught this 11 lb bonito on a rapala xrap magnum 10 silver about 5 miles west of SD buoy 3 (on my way to 9 mile bank) trolling at about 4 kts. Bled, then filetted him onboard and through him in the cooler.

Had him for lunch today. My wife tried this and it was good:

Marinade in wrapped tin foil for 30 minutes with:
    --Olive Oil (little)
    --Lime Juice (lots)
    --Pepper (to taste)
    --Sea Salt (to taste)
    --Worcestershire Sauce (optional, we fixed with and without. I slightly preferred without.)
    --Lime slices on top
    After 30 minutes, drop on the grill in their marinating tin foil packets. It grills and steams them.

bonito.jpg

Upvote 0

junkyardEd

Special Baiter Wizard
    Nov 27, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Ed
    Boat
    SOLD
    Done right, fresh bonito is hard to beat,,yummy stuff.

Nice one

Reactions: BassAssasin805
    Upvote 0

Fish Asassin

one cast = one kill
    May 16, 2012
    San Diego / Baja
    Name
    Fred Garvin
    Boat
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    Yesterday I caught this 11 lb bonito on a rapala xrap magnum 10 silver about 5 miles west of SD buoy 3 (on my way to 9 mile bank) trolling at about 4 kts. Bled, then filetted him onboard and through him in the cooler.

Had him for lunch today. My wife tried this and it was good:

Marinade in wrapped tin foil for 30 minutes with:
    --Olive Oil (little)
    --Lime Juice (lots)
    --Pepper (to taste)
    --Sea Salt (to taste)
    --Worcestershire Sauce (optional, we fixed with and without. I slightly preferred without.)
    --Lime slices on top
    After 30 minutes, drop on the grill in their marinating tin foil packets. It grills and steams them.

View attachment 625273
    With all that seasoning, an old tennis shoe might be tasty :)

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    I lived in Mexico for a time and fished for my tequila and tortillas. Bonita was split down the middle and thrown on the grill with salt and pepper. Delicious and soo grateful for a meal.

Reactions: bparker1225
    Upvote 0

matt86m

Not worthy of a Title
    Apr 6, 2010
    Fountain Valley, CA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Grew up eating bonito caught from King Harbor , Redondo. Me and my sister would fight for the last pieces. Finger lickin good !

Me too! I used to grab them by the tail when the surge would push them into the rocks by the pier! We would sell them for $.50-$1.00 each and take a few home to eat.

Upvote 0

Tuna Vic

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 17, 2010
    Whittier California
    Name
    Victor
    Boat
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    First time I had bonito was on the City of Redondo boat,Rick Ofinger was a deckhand,they would always grill some up for the passengers and pass it around,after that no one ever complained about catching bonies,they make great sashimi too,keep some wasabi and soy sauce ready on your skiff,you won't be disappointed!

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    Bleed and chill right away and it's awesome. Much better than Yellowtail IMO.

Upvote 0

e_briz

Nov 6, 2007
    Ramona
    Name
    Eddie
    Boat
    12,raft,Huck
    Hello, my name is Eddie, and I'm a born again Bonito fan. We went to the Coronado Islands today, endured the big swell and caught a few Bonito, Barracuda, and even a nice sized Corbina .As for the Bonito, Several times throughout my years, I tried them grilled, smoked, dried into Jerky, etc. Every time I said "no bueno". Well, after reading a few posts on here about eating them Sashimi and/or Poke style, I gave it try tonight...... Wow, after cutting away all the bloodline, I lost a lot of volume, but the remaining "white" meat was delicious. After having several pieces of it Sashimi style, I made a poke, with fine diced onions, fine diced jalapenos, hoison sauce, soy sauce and sesame seeds.....Wow, was it good......I'll never throw back or give away another Bone.

Reactions: wils
    Upvote 0

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
    Aug 21, 2008
    Chula Vista/Ca/USA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
    Hello, my name is Eddie, and I'm a born again Bonito fan. We went to the Coronado Islands today, endured the big swell and caught a few Bonito, Barracuda, and even a nice sized Corbina .As for the Bonito, Several times throughout my years, I tried them grilled, smoked, dried into Jerky, etc. Every time I said "no bueno". Well, after reading a few posts on here about eating them Sashimi and/or Poke style, I gave it try tonight...... Wow, after cutting away all the bloodline, I lost a lot of volume, but the remaining "white" meat was delicious. After having several pieces of it Sashimi style, I made a poke, with fine diced onions, fine diced jalapenos, hoison sauce, soy sauce and sesame seeds.....Wow, was it good......I'll never throw back or give away another Bone.
    You didn't catch any "Corbina" at the Islands. They don't exist there. Ever. Under any circumstances.

Upvote 0

Aliikai17

May 6, 2012
    Kona Hawaii
    Name
    Pat
    Boat
    Less now
    If bleed and thrown on ice asap bonito is very good, does not freeze very well though. I think bonito got a bad rap back in the day when they sat in the gunny sacks all day long in the baking ass sun, but that will bring the quality of any fish down

I think it got a bad rap when yuppies started to fish....

Reactions: Kareem Korn
    Upvote 0

Latest posts