Who says Bonito isn't good eatin'?

Charts

Nothing demonstrates hope better than fishing.
Aug 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Charts
Boat
arima sea explorer 16
Yesterday I caught this 11 lb bonito on a rapala xrap magnum 10 silver about 5 miles west of SD buoy 3 (on my way to 9 mile bank) trolling at about 4 kts. Bled, then filetted him onboard and through him in the cooler.

Had him for lunch today. My wife tried this and it was good:

Marinade in wrapped tin foil for 30 minutes with:
--Olive Oil (little)
--Lime Juice (lots)
--Pepper (to taste)
--Sea Salt (to taste)
--Worcestershire Sauce (optional, we fixed with and without. I slightly preferred without.)
--Lime slices on top
After 30 minutes, drop on the grill in their marinating tin foil packets. It grills and steams them.

bonito.jpg

junkyardEd

Special Baiter Wizard
Nov 27, 2008
San Diego
Name
Ed
Boat
SOLD
Done right, fresh bonito is hard to beat,,yummy stuff.

Nice one

Reactions: BassAssasin805

Fish Asassin

one cast = one kill
May 16, 2012
San Diego / Baja
Name
Fred Garvin
Boat
U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
Yesterday I caught this 11 lb bonito on a rapala xrap magnum 10 silver about 5 miles west of SD buoy 3 (on my way to 9 mile bank) trolling at about 4 kts. Bled, then filetted him onboard and through him in the cooler.

Had him for lunch today. My wife tried this and it was good:

Marinade in wrapped tin foil for 30 minutes with:
--Olive Oil (little)
--Lime Juice (lots)
--Pepper (to taste)
--Sea Salt (to taste)
--Worcestershire Sauce (optional, we fixed with and without. I slightly preferred without.)
--Lime slices on top
After 30 minutes, drop on the grill in their marinating tin foil packets. It grills and steams them.

View attachment 625273
With all that seasoning, an old tennis shoe might be tasty :)

Hoopnet

<°)))))><
Dec 12, 2013
<°)))))><
Name
<°)))))><
Boat
<°)))))><
Bleed it, throw it on ice. Its awesome! I love me some purple fin tuna! Sashimi, seared, grilled, and dried like a rock for boni flakes.

Reactions: BassAssasin805

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
I lived in Mexico for a time and fished for my tequila and tortillas. Bonita was split down the middle and thrown on the grill with salt and pepper. Delicious and soo grateful for a meal.

Reactions: bparker1225

matt86m

Not worthy of a Title
Apr 6, 2010
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Tiara Pursuit
Grew up eating bonito caught from King Harbor , Redondo. Me and my sister would fight for the last pieces. Finger lickin good !

Me too! I used to grab them by the tail when the surge would push them into the rocks by the pier! We would sell them for $.50-$1.00 each and take a few home to eat.

Tuna Vic

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
First time I had bonito was on the City of Redondo boat,Rick Ofinger was a deckhand,they would always grill some up for the passengers and pass it around,after that no one ever complained about catching bonies,they make great sashimi too,keep some wasabi and soy sauce ready on your skiff,you won't be disappointed!

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Bleed and chill right away and it's awesome. Much better than Yellowtail IMO.

e_briz

Nov 6, 2007
Ramona
Name
Eddie
Boat
12,raft,Huck
Hello, my name is Eddie, and I'm a born again Bonito fan. We went to the Coronado Islands today, endured the big swell and caught a few Bonito, Barracuda, and even a nice sized Corbina .As for the Bonito, Several times throughout my years, I tried them grilled, smoked, dried into Jerky, etc. Every time I said "no bueno". Well, after reading a few posts on here about eating them Sashimi and/or Poke style, I gave it try tonight...... Wow, after cutting away all the bloodline, I lost a lot of volume, but the remaining "white" meat was delicious. After having several pieces of it Sashimi style, I made a poke, with fine diced onions, fine diced jalapenos, hoison sauce, soy sauce and sesame seeds.....Wow, was it good......I'll never throw back or give away another Bone.

Reactions: wils

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
Aug 21, 2008
Chula Vista/Ca/USA
Name
Jeff
Boat
26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
Hello, my name is Eddie, and I'm a born again Bonito fan. We went to the Coronado Islands today, endured the big swell and caught a few Bonito, Barracuda, and even a nice sized Corbina .As for the Bonito, Several times throughout my years, I tried them grilled, smoked, dried into Jerky, etc. Every time I said "no bueno". Well, after reading a few posts on here about eating them Sashimi and/or Poke style, I gave it try tonight...... Wow, after cutting away all the bloodline, I lost a lot of volume, but the remaining "white" meat was delicious. After having several pieces of it Sashimi style, I made a poke, with fine diced onions, fine diced jalapenos, hoison sauce, soy sauce and sesame seeds.....Wow, was it good......I'll never throw back or give away another Bone.
You didn't catch any "Corbina" at the Islands. They don't exist there. Ever. Under any circumstances.

kenstevens1

Apr 1, 2013
huntington beach /ca/us
Name
ken
Boat
none
Sashimi bonita in the 70's was what I got when we visited my parents asian friends. Very good! Still I would put steak sauce on it. Very good!

havv

Mar 24, 2013
Pasadena
Name
Gary
Boat
282 sailfish
ill take bonita sashimi over yellowfin or yellowtail all day! treat it right and its amazing

Aliikai17

May 6, 2012
Kona Hawaii
Name
Pat
Boat
Less now
If bleed and thrown on ice asap bonito is very good, does not freeze very well though. I think bonito got a bad rap back in the day when they sat in the gunny sacks all day long in the baking ass sun, but that will bring the quality of any fish down
I think it got a bad rap when yuppies started to fish....

Reactions: Kareem Korn

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
This is an old thread but I'll put my 2 cents in anyway: I'll take a well-cared for bonito over a yellowtail any day.